• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership Final 2015 Bath V Saracens

I can't believe this wasn't aired on Supersport today.

It would have been nice to flick through the channels for this, the Super Rugby matches and the FA Cup final.

I see that our local sports news have been making the rounds that the Bath coach was furious that Farrel didn't get sent off for an incident. Is there a video of it?

From the stadium it looked to me like Farrell hit with his shoulder at a good height but his arm swung accidentally into Watson's head as he tried to wrap him. It seemed clumsy, not malicious. I didn't have the best view though, so would happily change my perspective if someone showed me a replay.

He is occasionally not very good at rugby.

To be fair, Strettle is mr average.
He does everything adequately while doing nothing to an international standard. Good guy to have as a backup but not good enough for a starter IMO.

OK, I must have only ever seen matches in which he played well.

Pay cuts are ok if that is what they do but really?

Incidentally there is a cap in France albeit higher than the UK. What you see for French teams are overall budgets of 30 odd million euro but that is for total costs. That being said, they have more external funding money for more teams which means the game can survive with a higher pay cap for players!

If you have no salary cap then you end up with a few superclubs who always win everything. No better illustration of this than English Premier League football. In the last 20 years, only four teams have won it; Man U (11 times), Chelsea (4 times), Arsenal (3 times) and Man C (twice). THe rest are locked in a mid-table battle for the remaining places in Europe, or a bottom of the table struggle to stave off relegation. Is this what people want for the Aviva Premiership?

Currently, your Premiership is one of the most even domestic rugby competitions in the world. Over the same time period as the EPL (and I am aware that the Premiership salary cap was only introduced in 1999), you have had nine different teams win it (and four different winners in the last five years) In a competition involving only 12 teams in any one year, I would call that an outstandingly successful application of a salary cap.

here is the incident, nothing in it imho, and Mike Ford comes across a sour grapes in the whole thing.

watson is tackled, farrell goes for the shoulder tackle and watson falls as he does so.

It's high, and unfortunate, but it's a penalty (possibly a yellow) no more. They reckon he's going to be cited.

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/ehBgF1I9Udh/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

watson is tackled, farrell goes for the shoulder tackle and watson falls as he does so.

I heard Kay say that at the time, but watch him... he doesn't change height at any point.

It's definitely not red, and Watson definitely didn't fall/duck into it.

If you have no salary cap then you end up with a few superclubs who always win everything. No better illustration of this than English Premier League football. In the last 20 years, only four teams have won it; Man U (11 times), Chelsea (4 times), Arsenal (3 times) and Man C (twice). THe rest are locked in a mid-table battle for the remaining places in Europe, or a bottom of the table struggle to stave off relegation. Is this what people want for the Aviva Premiership?

Currently, your Premiership is one of the most even domestic rugby competitions in the world. Over the same time period as the EPL (and I am aware that the Premiership salary cap was only introduced in 1999), you have had nine different teams win it (and four different winners in the last five years) In a competition involving only 12 teams in any one year, I would call that an outstandingly successful application of a salary cap.

Agreed!

I heard Kay say that at the time, but watch him... he doesn't change height at any point.

It's definitely not red, and Watson definitely didn't fall/duck into it.

yeah, i see what you're saying... i still think the low tackle is what makes it go wrong.

it's just unfortunate that's all.

It's a just a high tackle with a minor swinging arm - can't see anything definitive to suggest he meant to make contact with the head.

Last edited:
I thought it should have been a yellow (not red) but I've only seen it in the emotional pressure cooker of the stadium where my team are playing a final so I'm definitely not dispassionate to make a reliable judgement on it. Although Farrell made another high tackle later and 2 by the same player is a definite yellow.

Didn't hear Ford's comments, what did he say?

I thought it should have been a yellow (not red) but I've only seen it in the emotional pressure cooker of the stadium where my team are playing a final so I'm definitely not dispassionate to make a reliable judgement on it. Although Farrell made another high tackle later and 2 by the same player is a definite yellow.

Didn't hear Ford's comments, what did he say?

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-uni...n-farrell-was-lucky-to-even-stay-on-the-field

he also retweeted a couple of comments about it as well.

Possibly yellow for the Watson one but, as mentioned before, Farrell went on to do another high tackle. You can't have the same player making 2 high tackles and getting away with it.

Also what on Earth happened when the Sarries scrum was completely destroyed by Bath and Barnes allowed Sarries to play on when one of their players picked it up?

Possibly yellow for the Watson one but, as mentioned before, Farrell went on to do another high tackle. You can't have the same player making 2 high tackles and getting away with it.

Also what on Earth happened when the Sarries scrum was completely destroyed by Bath and Barnes allowed Sarries to play on when one of their players picked it up?

I must have missed the 2nd one, when was that?

also, guilty lol!

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/163248997047496/videos/907086065997115/" data-width="500"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="https://www.facebook.com/163248997047496/videos/907086065997115/"><p>Bath fans be like:</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rugby-Onslaught/163248997047496">Rugby Onslaught</a> on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/163248997047496/videos/907086065997115/">Saturday, 30 May 2015</a></blockquote></div></div>

I think there are three moments where Bath fans could feel a tiny bit aggrieved by ref decisions (no shockers just you felt they could of been turning points).

The aforementioned scrum on the halfway just before half time. Only because 5 seconds later Sarries got a perfectly fair penalty.

The Farrell tackle in opening moments of the game it's not a Red Card but the more I see it the more I think it's a yellow. Considering how Sarries played afterwards it was a major decision especially for Barnes not to review it.

Good on Roko, sorry but he's not committed and has no idea where the ball will go. Taking out a player in that situation is a yellow card as it's cynical as hell.

I don't blame Barnes but can understand why Bath may have some grumbles Sarries went out of sight in the first half and you could happily argue they should of been down to 14 men in the opening phases.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Ford is probably ****** as he lost his first choice full back and his replacement didn't help the cause much.

Getting destroyed =/= committing an offence.

Was more unhappy with him penalising us for not holding our weight and then subsequently allowing Sarries to take advantage of that by leaning in and taking space before the ball went in.

Also Farrell MOTM was a bit of a joke I felt someone like Burger had a brilliant game where Fazlet felt like he was non existent for many parts. We'll soon go the way of the Superbowl and give it to the quarterback everytime no matter if another player plays out his skin all match.

Steady on cookie that was almost a compliment!

Also Farrell MOTM was a bit of a joke I felt someone like Burger had a brilliant game where Fazlet felt like he was non existent for many parts. We'll soon go the way of the Superbowl and give it to the quarterback everytime no matter if another player plays out his skin all match.

I would've gone for Jamie George, if only for outpacing Roko!

Latest posts