• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Stadium

Over time the Lansdowne Road name will cease to be used. Look at how an iconic building in Dublin, the Point Depot, has seemlessly become The o2 in just a couple of years. Also the Millenium Dome in London is universally recognised as the o2 Arena. Ashburton Grove became the Emirates Stadium...........there are tons of examples.

I guess it depends on of it is a new building or not, I can understand that a new building receives a branded name that is widely used but a building or a place with a long history it is like erasing it with this new name.

In UK and Ireland I saw that most of the time the Celtic League and English Premiership were often replaced by their sponsors names. In France although it is the Orange Top14 no one gives a **** to this name sponsoring and we follow calling it Top14 or Championnat.

It's not a sponsor name I know but when Bristol Rovers moved into our ground they insisted it was Renamed to the Memorial Stadium however many (including me) know it as either The Mem or the Memorial Ground

It's a wonder how you remember to call it that, what with the massive difference in names. ;) :p xxxxx

Was at the match today. Was rubbish. But the stadium is great. The North side of the stadium is way too low but it's still class.

Leinster/Ulster kicked the **** outta Munster/Connacht. 68 - 0. Some of the Leinster/Ulster players were quality The number 12 was cracking. Something Marshall. Luke maybe? And the number 10 didn't miss a kick and some of them were hard.

Lads just back and well i must say the Aviva is a credit to Ireland. See the dressing rooms and well was very impressed and if the you seen the warm-up areas - they are like little pitches.

As for the game, well all i can say is the difference in where we are in terms of developing our own players is clear for all to see. But a nice run out and well only thing i'd say is it's a pity we couldnt produce a bigger capacity.

Pictures of the kits if anyone is interested:

Icky culchie loser shirt:

7420.jpg

Sensational Leinster inspired jersey:

7421.jpg

Lads just back and well i must say the Aviva is a credit to Ireland. See the dressing rooms and well was very impressed and if the you seen the warm-up areas - they are like little pitches.
Do you work for Munster or something? You always seem to have inside information on the goings on in camp :p

Ah lads don't be nit picking; just because he's got insider info with the Munster lads well it's no reason to yank his chain!

As for the game, well all i can say is the difference in where we are in terms of developing our own players is clear for all to see.
I don't know about that. Assuming this was an Ireland u20 trial game, the Cunster team didn't select some of their best options- JJ Hanrahan (a 10 or 12) and Corey Hircock (a 13 or winger) were nowhere to be seen despite being in the Munster academy and Eoin McKeon who's played 8 for Connacht in the Magners League didn't feature either. The starting loosehead prop (Aaron Spring) is a recent convert from the backrow. Lulster didn't pick Ireland u20 players Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken, James McKinney, Niall Annett, David Doyle and Jordi Murphy. What we saw were two scratch teams who'll never play together again, play a meaningless fixture.

If each province gets two talented players out of this fixture, that'll be considered a success. Given just a couple of months everybody will have forgotten about this game.

Ah lads don't be nit picking; just because he's got insider info with the Munster lads well it's no reason to yank his chain!

I don't know about that. Assuming this was an Ireland u20 trial game, the Cunster team didn't select some of their best options- JJ Hanrahan (a 10 or 12) and Corey Hircock (a 13 or winger) were nowhere to be seen despite being in the Munster academy and Eoin McKeon who's played 8 for Connacht in the Magners League didn't feature either. The starting loosehead prop (Aaron Spring) is a recent convert from the backrow. Lulster didn't pick Ireland u20 players Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken, James McKinney, Niall Annett, David Doyle and Jordi Murphy. What we saw were two scratch teams who'll never play together again, play a meaningless fixture.

If each province gets two talented players out of this fixture, that'll be considered a success. Given just a couple of months everybody will have forgotten about this game.

Donal Leinehan was saying there was only one academy player on the Cunster team, and even then he was on the bench. Still there is no denying how far ahead the leionster academy is.

How is the Ulster set up snoop?

I know, we all have out tics. I type "though" in virtually every sentence for example.

Donal Leinehan was saying there was only one academy player on the Cunster team, and even then he was on the bench. Still there is no denying how far ahead the leionster academy is.

How is the Ulster set up snoop?
There were very few academy players in the Lulster setup too. Coughlan Murray only joined Leinster's academy in the last couple of weeks. I'd have to check Ulster's website but I think Luke Marshall is the only other academy player from the blue and white team yesterday.

As for talented players up north, there are quite a few. Craig Gilroy may get a couple of runs early on in the Magners League due to injuries among Ulster's back three players. The sub scrumhalf yesterday Conor Spence is just out of school and is a very good player. Luke Marshall is good enough to play 12 but has a bit of traffic in front of him in Paddy Wallace and Ian Whitten. Likewise Paddy Jackson is very skillful but he's not physically developed enough yet- could be a couple of years before we see him play regularly. I really like the look of Michael Allen who's an outside centre with blistering pace but he didn't play yesterday. Neither did Conor Gaston who's playing very well for Dungannon. Keeping in mind the fact that their 1st XV is quite young, Ulster have a promising future.

What's happening is Ulster and Leinster are churning out huge numbers while Connacht and Munster are churning out less players but some of them are of a very high quality. It results in mismatches at underage level but these things even out by the time players reach their mid 20s. For example, in Tiernan O'Halloran, Connacht have Ireland's best prospect on the wing since Denis Hickie while in Peter O'Mahoney, Paddy Butler and JJ Hanrahan, Munster have three players you can build a team around.

Back on topic, the stadium looks like a bedpan.

I'm genuinely interested! He always seems to know what's going on inside then Munster camp, and sees them training and the such

My guess is that he's Keith Earls :p

Was at the game the stadium id great but Luster ran all over munoucht, Luke marshal was great paddy jacks was allso pretty good.

Well yea I work with fitness but well handy number ha and as regards my comments on the development of players and academys. The schools system in munster is ok but nothing compared to ulster and Leinster schools who having seen on setanta have shown some serious prospects.

Also the munster academy is maybe3/4 years behind the Leinster set up and well we need to just try hurry up our rate of progression to match Leinster set up.
And snoop I agree with what your saying that we only bring small few through but at time we struggle to develop them past a certain point and well Tim Ryan for example will come back eventually a much better technical player but not just due to playing more but to a more detailed coaching idea etc

Last edited:

Latest posts