• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Black Caps v England

U

umosay

Day 2 - First Test

NZ 386 all out (Richardson 93, Cairns 82(47) Oram 67, Astle 64)
England 246-2 (Strauss 112, Trescothick 86, Butcher 22*)

Cairns played a gem of a knock to rescue NZ on day 2, but the NZ bowlers couldn't restrain englands openers putting on 190 for the first wicket, nz's bowling needs a bit of work yet

Looks as if New Zealand has the advantage now.

NZ 386 & 134/1

Eng 441

Richardson 46* McCullum 72* in the second innings.

Does anyone else not like Tuffey or am the only one in my club. Performs at home but hes not to good away i feel, all though England would have the most similarist conditions to NZ in the world.

Nice McCullum
<

He must be gutted. Getting out for 96 at Lords. Oh well, Jones was really troubling him and it was sort of obvious he would nick one eventually. England could get this target, but they also could crack and go for like 180. Papps will probably come in for either Styris or Macca since they have stuffed up, and Bond will probably replace Martin, although I think he should replace Tuffey.

Certainly set up for an interesting day tomorow, think England have a slight advantage in that it's slightly easier for them to get the runs than for NZ to get the 10 wickets. Could go either way though. Been a great match.

it is the last day though so id say 10 wickets is easier. what condition is the pitch in?

169-3 at tea with Strauss run out on 83, doubt NZ will win now but should be an exciting final session.

Well they've won with Hussain getting a century and England have won by 7 wickets. Cracking test match.

It was a very good match. Strauss has been a revelation. They did very well without Vaughan.

They might not have to drop Strauss afterall with Hussain revealing that he may call it quits after todays test.

decent way to go out, a century, hit winning run, 4th highest run chase ever achieved in england. (they said that on the tv coverage, i didn'y just know that)

With Strauss getting nearly 200 runs in the match it certainly makes any decision over retiring that bit easier.

Some really ordinary bowling by New Zealand throughout this test made it too easy for England.

I'd expect Bond in for the next test (fully fit or not), and also McMillian to be dropped for Papps, with Fleming moving to first drop.

Excellent win by England, really professional finish.

It wasn't the bowlers fault. It was our batsmen. Macca and Styris contributed an all together 10 runs. You wont win test matches without a middle order.

Looks like Bond may not play for the whole series. His back won't allow him to bowl much more than 10 overs in one day, and then he needs a day to rest afterwards.

Steve Harmison has moved up to 2nd in the world bowling rankings overtaking Pollock and Akhtar, only Murilitharan is ahead of him now. Good stuff.

Strauss has booked his place in the side until 2011 hopefully. Hussaid hopefully will keep going until the end of the series. We don't need a spinner at Headingley and Trent Bridge is also usually seamer friendly.

Great first test. Bring on Headingley.

If you can't get 20 wickets, you can't win a test............

Bond not playing is a huge blow. New Zealands major problem is it's bowling as the middle order problem is much easier to fix I believe. Papps showed good pre test form so should come in for Macca, with Fleming slipping down the order one place to help strengthen the batting.

The bowling is more of a concern as we don't have a ready made solution. Butler we probably be shipped in but has had no recent play. Cairns is far too expensive, Vettori lacks confidence, Martin is struggling for form, and Tuffey - though containing - is not picking up wickets like a strike bowler should.

I think the only real thing NZl can hope for is a drawn series - and even then i think they have more chance of winning the final test rather then the next one.

Latest posts