• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boks moan to SANZAR

Hey Cooky what the f*** is that arena rugby vid you posted on youtube? How retarded is this sport...

Coming down to earth must be hard, I think hes just angry with the irb for changing the rules so we can actually play rugby again.

I'm actually feelin sorry for the Bok's now. All that moaning and they still can't put it together on the field. Hooray for the return of running rugby

Hey Cooky what the f*** is that arena rugby vid you posted on youtube? How retarded is this sport...

Arena Rugby was an idea proposed some years ago to try generating interest in Rugby Sevens in America. If you follow American Football at all, you will the familiar with their pre-season concept called "Arena Football".

I posted it up because someone asked me about it on another forum. Basically it is Sevens played in an Ice Hockey rink. The ice is replaced with Astroturf or some other artificial turf. There are a few differences in Laws...

► Checking or pushing a player into the boards (the low wall surrounding the rink) replaces tackling a player into touch.
► When a ball carrier touches the boards they are 'in touch' and a turnover is awarded to the other team.
► Attempt to tackle a player into the boards is a dangerous tackle
► The sin bin is a 90 second "penalty box"
► scrums only ordered for forward throws and knock-ons (3 player 7′s style scrums are used).
► All other offenses (including unplayable at ruck time) result in a free kick to the non-offending team.
► Scoring as per normal, but no penalty goals although a tap, pass and drop-kick is allowed.

It was ideally positioned to be after the Ice Hockey season to capture that audience and even though they did get big crowds, the game never caught on globally. It is still played Philadelphia, California and some other cities in the USA.

Here is the promo video if anyone wants a look

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks ok, the arena would be nice for a game of touch. The field doesnt look that big.

Im not trying say Im superman (god knows Im not) but Im sure I could push some of those wingers over the fence/enclosure. I'd hate to be a winger in that rugby arena game anyway.

Arena Rugby was an idea proposed some years ago to try generating interest in Rugby Sevens in America. If you follow American Football at all, you will the familiar with their pre-season concept called "Arena Football".

I posted it up because someone asked me about it on another forum. Basically it is Sevens played in an Ice Hockey rink. The ice is replaced with Astroturf or some other artificial turf. There are a few differences in Laws...

► Checking or pushing a player into the boards (the low wall surrounding the rink) replaces tackling a player into touch.
► When a ball carrier touches the boards they are ‘in touch’ and a turnover is awarded to the other team.
► Attempt to tackle a player into the boards is a dangerous tackle
► The sin bin is a 90 second "penalty box"
► scrums only ordered for forward throws and knock-ons (3 player 7′s style scrums are used).
► All other offenses (including unplayable at ruck time) result in a free kick to the non-offending team.
► Scoring as per normal, but no penalty goals although a tap, pass and drop-kick is allowed.

It was ideally positioned to be after the Ice Hockey season to capture that audience and even though they did get big crowds, the game never caught on globally. It is still played Philadelphia, California and some other cities in the USA.

Here is the promo video if anyone wants a look

That looks uber-gay...like gayer that Bruno.
I love how there were only 2 teams in the promo video. 1 of them I can attest doesn't even exist. I live and play rugby in Dallas...no "dallas outlaws" here. I think the whole thing went belly up. It seems that it sort of goes against the spirit of rugby. Until recently rugby in america was promoted like that "Out of Control" or an extreme sport. I had guys join our clubs that just wanted to get in fights and smash people (they'd literally say that at their first training). Sounds like a perfect fit for Bakkies and the Saffers! Wooooop! Brought that b*tch back full circle!!!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts