• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brian O'Driscoll Test Cap Record

Just on this what is the case with BOD in terms of those the record require all caps be with Ireland or do they accept Lions too.
I know in Intl Caps they also note + xx Caps For B&I Lions but regards record book is it offical he is top and how is it stated like is it IRE & Lions or what

Just on this what is the case with BOD in terms of those the record require all caps be with Ireland or do they accept Lions too.
I know in Intl Caps they also note + xx Caps For B&I Lions but regards record book is it offical he is top and how is it stated like is it IRE & Lions or what

As far as I'm aware Lions caps in international matches count as international caps. Though until (if) he gets 139 test caps for Ireland it will probably always be mentioned. That said if he plays every match this year he must get very close. He's on 130 tests for Ireland and there is still the June and November internationals in the calander year if he sticks around for it.

As far as I'm aware Lions caps in international matches count as international caps. Though until (if) he gets 139 test caps for Ireland it will probably always be mentioned. That said if he plays every match this year he must get very close. He's on 130 tests for Ireland and there is still the June and November internationals in the calander year if he sticks around for it.

He's done with Ireland after the 6N is my understanding so the max Ireland he will get is 133.

BOD has 3 more games max in green as he's retired in summer and yeah I know Lions count as caps but I don't think they count in terms of record. I think you have to have played for country 139 times to break record

BOD has 3 more games max in green as he's retired in summer and yeah I know Lions count as caps but I don't think they count in terms of record. I think you have to have played for country 139 times to break record

Well I guess it depends which record -

most international test caps or most test caps for country. I thought he may have been retiring after this 6 Nations but wasn't sure. Is he continuing at all for Leinster?

If Lions caps don't count as internationals, then presumably Gregan's count would be lower...

Anyway, won't stand for too long, apparently Halfpenny is already on 50, which is just absurd. 50 Welsh, 3 Lions. Say he's got another 8 in him (lowballing it...), lets see, another 6 Lions tests, 2 World Cups which I reckon would add up to 10 more for Wales, 8 6Ns is obviously 40, 6 Summer Tours, 18, 6 AIs... probably 24 given the way Wales carry on... he'll probably make 150 caps total if the injury gods are kind. Which is insane. Mind you, North is only 4 years younger, only 13 international caps behind Halfpenny...

If Lions caps don't count as internationals, then presumably Gregan's count would be lower...

Anyway, won't stand for too long, apparently Halfpenny is already on 50, which is just absurd. 50 Welsh, 3 Lions. Say he's got another 8 in him (lowballing it...), lets see, another 6 Lions tests, 2 World Cups which I reckon would add up to 10 more for Wales, 8 6Ns is obviously 40, 6 Summer Tours, 18, 6 AIs... probably 24 given the way Wales carry on... he'll probably make 150 caps total if the injury gods are kind. Which is insane. Mind you, North is only 4 years younger, only 13 international caps behind Halfpenny...
His would as he still lined up for Aus. BOD effectively in a way played for 2 national teams per say.

Just checked and his record is 138 officially on IRB stats so yes he will hopefully break it in 6 Nations. What are chances he is rested vs Italy and breaks it in his last game in a game for Slam ?????????

Last edited:
Well I guess it depends which record -

most international test caps or most test caps for country. I thought he may have been retiring after this 6 Nations but wasn't sure. Is he continuing at all for Leinster?

Nope. There seems to be a bizzare policy that Irish players can't play for the provinces if they're not making themselves eligable for national selection.

Nope. There seems to be a bizzare policy that Irish players can't play for the provinces if they're not making themselves eligable for national selection.
To explain this IRFU effectively own all provinces. They pay you to work for them. The national team is them so when employed by IRFU then you must be available for games they require you in. That can be province, national or wolfhounds

That is weird...

Would that mean if you were a player like Jared Payne who hypothetically plays for Leinster for three years and becomes eligable, he becomes obligated to play for Ireland or lose his position at the club? Not that that is Jared Payne's personal position as I believe he wants to play for Ireland and that the IRFU has a somewhat shady 'project' player policy which Payne fits under - but would it prevent a player who did not want to play for Ireland signing with the IRFU and later becoming eligable?

As far as BOD goes he deserves the record, great servant for Ireland and also a brilliant player had the pleasure of meeting him when we played Leinster a couple of years ago, he was the teams water boy thats dedication for you as he was injured at the time. I have also read the debate about his Lions caps counting or not counting, surely if they don't count all the teams that the Lions played against can't count their caps either, so then does Gregans have less caps as he surely played against the Lions.

That is weird...

Would that mean if you were a player like Jared Payne who hypothetically plays for Leinster for three years and becomes eligable, he becomes obligated to play for Ireland or lose his position at the club? Not that that is Jared Payne's personal position as I believe he wants to play for Ireland and that the IRFU has a somewhat shady 'project' player policy which Payne fits under - but would it prevent a player who did not want to play for Ireland signing with the IRFU and later becoming eligable?

Yes when they are signed as a "Project Player" they are expected to play for Ireland after the 3 year rule. But this is crossed by all parties before they sign. And been honest it rare they'd be close to their own national team. For example Payne with New Zealand. However I've always wondered if Stander at Munster excels will Boks just say no. Same was Strauss at Leinster. Was shocked they never capped him.

Yes when they are signed as a "Project Player" they are expected to play for Ireland after the 3 year rule. But this is crossed by all parties before they sign. And been honest it rare they'd be close to their own national team. For example Payne with New Zealand. However I've always wondered if Stander at Munster excels will Boks just say no. Same was Strauss at Leinster. Was shocked they never capped him.
Strauss wouldnt have had a chance. Bismarck, Adriaan, Chiliboy, even Tiaan, not to mention John Smit who was still playing when Richardt let for Ireland.
Stander? Unlikely, considering the loose forwards coming through.

Strauss wouldnt have had a chance. Bismarck, Adriaan, Chiliboy, even Tiaan, not to mention John Smit who was still playing when Richardt let for Ireland.
Stander? Unlikely, considering the loose forwards coming through.

I agree but Strauss was playing superbly for Leinster. Also regards CJ again it's unlikely but he was called into squad after signing for us but before arriving.

His would as he still lined up for Aus. BOD effectively in a way played for 2 national teams per say.

Just checked and his record is 138 officially on IRB stats so yes he will hopefully break it in 6 Nations. What are chances he is rested vs Italy and breaks it in his last game in a game for Slam ?????????
I would be all for losing to Ireland in Paris with a BOD hat-trick if it ends up like that.
Freaking legend.

Richardt Strauss was called into a Springbok camp during an Autumn tour while in the first three years of his Leinster contract but turned it down.

I believe that a position where O'Driscoll continued to play rugby for Leinster while playing for Ireland would be moot anyway. It strikes me that his position would be either he's willing to play rugby, in which case he's going to continue to strive to play at the highest level, or he's not.

I would be all for losing to Ireland in Paris with a BOD hat-trick if it ends up like that.
Freaking legend.

nonsense, nonsense...we just need to call in our Ireland-repellant, Vincent Clerc. His mere presence will ensure victory in Paris in a few weeks, it's just fate can't do nothin' bout it...PSA would be wise to play him that day, additionally I think it'll be a perfect crescent moon....
Well actually though, it would be nice one team actually WON it this time !...how INSANE would it be if we both arrive into that last weekend unbeaten and both miss out on the Grand Slam because it's another DRAW !! :p
I think we'd just have to assassinate Paul O'Connell on the spot or something drastic like that...

nonsense, nonsense...we just need to call in our Ireland-repellant, Vincent Clerc. His mere presence will ensure victory in Paris in a few weeks, it's just fate can't do nothin' bout it...PSA would be wise to play him that day, additionally I think it'll be a perfect crescent moon....
Well actually though, it would be nice one team actually WON it this time !...how INSANE would it be if we both arrive into that last weekend unbeaten and both miss out on the Grand Slam because it's another DRAW !! :p
I think we'd just have to assassinate Paul O'Connell on the spot or something drastic like that...

Ha I think Clerc is probably 1 of biggest thorns in Irish history. It's not the fact he always scores but at the most annoying times.
Really think this round will be a defining one in 6 nations. Interestingly though it is a slim chance both will be unbeaten after this weekend in my eyes

no Mike Gibson, Ulster and Irelands greatest centre held the world record for caps at one point with a total of 69 caps (not including the 12 lion caps he gained also playing for the baa baas in 9 games involved in the all black baa baa game in 73) and toured with the lions 5 times (beating the all blacks in 71) played 4 different positions, IRB 2011 hall of fame entry
You know what that tells ya
Ireland are decent at producing centres

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha I think Clerc is probably 1 of biggest thorns in Irish history. It's not the fact he always scores but at the most annoying times.
Really think this round will be a defining one in 6 nations. Interestingly though it is a slim chance both will be unbeaten after this weekend in my eyes

France are still a very imperfect and precarious side, so things aren't as easy as they once were, as some French player said a few days ago "there are no easy matches in the 6N anymore". France could easily lose the one in Wales, there are absolutely no guarantees right now because we're a side that still doesn't exactly know who we are, we're opportunistic, on a given day we'll happen to have a good one. Ireland are a lot more focused, know their strengths by heart, have clearly defined weapons...but they've got Twickenham.
Our Cardiff is Ireland's Twickenham and they happen on the same weekend. Relatively easier weekend the following one as France goes to Murrayfield and Ireland hosts Italy, and finally the last weekend, the weekend we meet.

So basically the Feb 22nd/23rd weekend will decide whether France Ireland will be this year's 6N "final" and I sorely wish it will be..................with Vincent Clerc starting in the 14 jersey....or the 6, whichever, he's just got to be there on the field somehow.

Latest posts