• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canada vs Russia

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Canada vs. Russia June 8th, at Moseley Road, Esher. Churchill Cup. 20:00 local time. This match is a full test World Ranking points are on the line.

Here are your lineups.
Canada
1. Tom Dolezel
2. Ryan Hamilton
3. Scott Franklin
4. Tyler Hotson
5. Jamie Cudmore
6. Jebb Sinclair
7. Chauncey O'Toole
8. Aaron Carpenter
9. Sean White
10. Ander Monro(Captain)
11. Justin Mensah-Coker
12. Mike Scholz
13. Conor Trainor
14. Matt Evans
15. James Pritchard

Bench
16. Pat Riordan
17. Andrew Tieddeman
18. Hubert Buydens
19. Mitch Gudgeon
20. Nanyak Dala
21. Ed Fairhurst
22. Phil Mackenzie

Russia
Starters: I Klyuchnikov; V Artemyev; I Makovetskiy, A Makovetskiy, V Ostroushko, Y Kushnarev, S Shakirov; S Popov, V Korshunov (capt), I Prishchepenko, V Boltenkov, A Voytov, A Temnov, A Garbuzov, V Grachev.

Reserves: V Tsnobiladze, A Travkinm, A Panasenko, V Gresev, A Bykanov, S Trishin, A Ryabov.

Canada using this game as a way to get some new blood(and old) back into action. Fairhurst must be using this game as a way to get Sean White some action just in case in future Canadian games he is busy with saving the world, fighting off alien invasions, finally ascending to a higher plane of existance or as he callls it "the usual" luckily he is on the bench just in case things go awry. Cudmore finally puts back on the maple leaf after a nearly four year absense I can't wait to see him in action. Scholz is also returning after a long break.

Riordan moves to the bench after an off game against Italy, as well Ciaran Hearn was dropped from the lineup and Mensah Coker always a threat on attack has been inserted. Monro will be the captain, Pritchard should handle the kicking duties with Monro backing him up. Matt Evans will be looking to have a good Churchill Cup like he did last year. A slightly weaker Canadian lineup with the exception of Cudmore coming back, but a great oppourtunity to create some depth.

For Canadians wishing to view the game it is once again carried by Setanta it will be live at 3 p.m. Eastern time, as well there will be tape delayed coverage at 10:15 p.m. Eastern time if like me you will be working during the live broadcast. The Tonga vs USA game will also be carried live and it will be tape delayed starting at 8:30 right before the Canada game. Check your local listings if you are not in the same time zone as me.

Last edited:
Good to see Cudmore being added to the Canadian squad. Seems the past World Cup he sort of flew into France, threw on the Canada jersey 5 minutes before the Wales game and then looked out of place with zero chemistry with other team mates... at least this time he can get to know some of the newer guys, and vis-versa. He's going to be needed badly as Canada seems to have some serious problems in the scrum department, too bad as 10-15 years ago that was the bread and butter of Canadian Rugby, now if they could only get back to that power-forward/aggressive pack ALONG with the new-found running/offensive aspect, there could really be a team that would take some serious scalps from time-to-time.

Once again, so noble of WonderEd to give another player some gametime, as it's clear that, come the world cup, no-one else will be getting any.

Was looking forward to seeing Andrei Ostrikov in action for Russia, but I guess he's being retained by Sale as their preseason training started yesterday

Shame I've got training that night, or I'd have gone along and cheered on Canada.

Come on Canuckistan.

does anybody know if any of the foreign coaches who coach the likes of Russia, Georgia and Japan (who all have harder languages to learn due to a different alphabet) learn the language.

I don't expect them to be fluent, but do most of them or a few of them make an effort to learn a bit?

Steve Diamond said he was proficient in it, but not fluent
Doubt Kingsley Jones will be as he's only been their coach a few months, though I imagine they all make an effort

Steve Diamond said he was proficient in it, but not fluent
Doubt Kingsley Jones will be as he's only been their coach a few months, though I imagine they all make an effort

They should all make an effort, whatever country it is. It's disrespectful to just walk into their country and speak English without making an effort to at least say something in their language.

Does Kirwan speak Japanese at all?
or Michael Bradley Georgian?

Mensah-Coker opens the scoring for Canada ... good break by Chauncey O'Toole ... Pritchard converts the try 7 - nil

... Wait, penalty to Russia after the kick off ... Kushnarev for a chance at 3 points, it's through ... 7-3 to Canada

Penalty to Canada, Pritchard kicks the goal, 10-3

Last edited:
Russia leaking quite a few simple penalties and the such but are holding their own against Canada

russia may just draw level here
got to love underdogs

The Russian fullback (Klyuchnikov) in to score a try, Kusnarev converts to equalise at the 21 minute mark 10 all

Artemyev puts Russia ahead and the conversion is missed (apparently) 15 -10 ... it looked over

... Conor Trainor scores for Canada scores a try which isn't converted 15 all with 3 minutes left until half time

Penalty to Russia, and they kick the goal to go into half time with the lead ... 18-15

Last edited:
Canada looking pretty lethargic here, way too many unforced errors.

I sure hope they haven't overlooked Russia with a ticket to the final in the background.

Canada looking pretty lethargic here, way too many unforced errors.

I sure hope they haven't overlooked Russia with a ticket to the final in the background.

Yep, I think if some of Chauncey's offloads had gone to hand, Canada would have the lead ... like you said, unforced errors are letting them down at the moment

Latest posts