• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carter "absolutely" in doubt for rest of the world cup!!!

devistating, the RWC wont be the same from now on without the un-desputed #1 star of the game. For the All Blacks it's both a curse and a blessing, A cusse because they have lost a star and the one player that their gameplan revolves around - the blessing and only +ve aspect I can think of is that the All Blacks wont now be seen as favorites, they will go into the play offs - semi's and beyond as underdogs and fight with an underdog mentality - without the saftey of dan carter other players will have to step up play out of their skin.

For the All Blacks, I guess slade will get first dibs but Weepu should also be considered simply because of his big game head and ability and Cruden should be given a run as well to see if that brilliant form of his can some out at test level. Slade has been pretty average so far, not bad but not special either and it will be important to see if Either weepu or Cruden have something special to offer.

Devistated, not just as an All Black supporter but for carter as well, being injured in the AB's last 2007 game and now this, he must be totally gutted.

Cruden is a good player but hasn't proved himself at test level. Donald would have been a good choice too at least he has test experience but he's also now off contract and prob in Europe by now. He has his haters but he's done a good job for the All Blacks on New Zealand soil.

My Gut feeling is weepu needs to be given a go, such a solid play maker and defender as well, but importantly he is a big game player.

F*#($^%arrK!!

ABs underdogs just because Carter is out-Hell no, thats crazy talk. No other team at the world cup has looked the least bit impressive. Boks, England, Aussie, Ireland, Wales, Argentina and the French have all played average rugby, hardly think the ABs will fear any even with no Carter. I'd be worried if there were a team that was pulversing everyone but theres not, oh wait there is.. the ABs.

Weepu at flyhalf it not a good idea he's played his best at 9. Cowans a bit out of form aswell otherwise it might be a last resort option. Seriously slade will be good enough imo. We have enough other good players in the team to compensate. Just go though the rest of the names in the first choice backline.... this is not the disaster the media is going to make it out to be. Could be good in some ways teams wont know what to expect from slade whereas SA and others would have read the book on DC.

always likes slade, seems like he's been around forever but he's still a young lad. on his day he can bust a game open or be very solid ahla his debut off the bench against Aussie. Someone needs to step up, Slade, Weepu, Cruden. They will all get their chance. Weepu would do the job but if you use him at 10 you lose him at 9 and he's one of if not the best 9 in the world.

Weepu at 10 is not ideal but certainly not the worst thing ever. He knows how to run a team and has the vision to make a good first five. He has a decent boot, can kick the goals and doesn't mind the rough stuff. If only Dagg had experience at 10 I'd chuck him there, maybe a future first five? :D

Don't tell me England will win the world cup.... ANYTHING BUT THAT! PLEASE! ANYTHING!

I really hope I can quote this post in a week or 3 and laugh :D.

Seriously, horrible for DC, he really deserved it to win this WC and make him a legend, now he will propably never win the William Web...

^^ agreed weepu is NOT an option at 10 with cowan not playing his best atm. People have been a bit critical of slade imo. I think with two games before SA its probably happened just in time to get slade settled in.

Clearly Weepu at 10 is an option with the selectors atm. If Slade fires today they'll stick with him till the end and the Weepu at 10 debate will end. If Slade has another shaky performance and Weepu comes in a makes a big impact at 10 it'll be 50/50 as to what happens next. I hope Slade fires, we need him too, coaches seems to have full confidence in him so I'm happy enough with that... for now.

If only we bagged Kahn Fotuali'i a long time ago... This very scenario would be fixed with 9 and 10 Fotuali'i, Weepu combo.. Hikawera Elliot at Hooker. Taumalolo... Bryn Evans. Brodie Rettalick.. Karl Lowe to back up McCaw. Richard Buckman in 22.
I tell you, if I were the ABs coach...

Yeah, I think Slade will be fine. Playing 60+ mins in the quarters will do him good. Also he will be all the better for having Weepu play inside him which we almost certainly won't see today unfortunately. My only worry is his apparent lack of ability to change a gameplan if it isn't working. He pushes things a bit too much (passes, dodgy chip kicks etc.) Again, having Weepu inside him barking at him will go someway towards remedying his issues. We'll be alright.

Where are you now Stephen Donald lol Slade needs to step up he's been playing very average lately and if he doesn't bring his A game we'll probably end up putting Piri in at 1st5

It's just Dan Carter for goodness sakes... only one man. You still got McCaw, Nonu etc.. Still the favourites in this WC.

It's just Dan Carter for goodness sakes... only one man. You still got McCaw, Nonu etc.. Still the favourites in this WC.

Yes, we'll use McCaw to replace the world's best fly half.

The All Blacks chances of winning this tounament just plummitted.

The problem is that it's pretty much the only position where we don't have good backup. Weepu and Nonu have a huge job ahead of them now to help whoever is at 10. Maybe Weepu will go there, he played half decently there today, Slade again failed to convince anyone he is up to it. Shame that Cruden probably won't get a chance to show his stuff, too late to throw him in there now really.

Yeah, that's why I made the argument that the All Blacks need to know that they can win the match up front before anything else. If they can dominate a foward orientated game then the back play should follow with relative ease, regardless of who is at 10.

bad news for nz's chances, there were clear favourite before this however I still feel that they will be right up there come finals. they're still a quality team.

I do feel for DC, he must be totally devastated today. I agree with Black Heart that their chances have plummeted, but still favourites ahead of SA/Aus. It's all very well to say 'Slade will step up' and think about his work against the minnows/smaller teams but think of the psychological boost for a team like Aus/SA facing an AB team without Carter! They know well from 3N experience that it is a different proposition despite there being other great players in the AB team.

The All Blacks need a strong, injury free performance in the quarter finals to calm everyone down. They're certainly a weaker team, but the AB's minus Carter is still a strong team.

Yep, our odds have definitely plummeted, but I will keep the faith ... the other senior players need to step up, Nonu is in great form, we have experienced players at half back, and out side centre in Conrad Smith, plus fast and exciting out side backs ... hopefully they will support Slade, Cruden, or Weepu, and see us through

Latest posts