• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Challenge Cup pools 2016/17 season

Bristol side to face Pau on Sunday

15. Jack Wallace; 14. Tom Varndell, 13. Thretton Palamo, 12. Luke Arscott, 11. David Lemi (c); 10. Billy Searle, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Soane Tonga'uiha, 2. Max Crumpton, 3. Anthony Perenise, 4. Giorgi Nemsadze, 5. Ian Evans, 6. Nick Koster, 7. Nick Fenton-Wells, 8. James Phillips.
Replacements: 16. Chris Brooker, 17. Jack O'Connell, 18. Jamal Ford-Robinson, 19. Ben Glynn, 20. Joe Joyce, 21. Martin Roberts, 22. Adrian Jarvis, 23. Jack Tovey.

Bristol side to face Pau on Sunday

15. Jack Wallace; 14. Tom Varndell, 13. Thretton Palamo, 12. Luke Arscott, 11. David Lemi (c); 10. Billy Searle, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Soane Tonga’uiha, 2. Max Crumpton, 3. Anthony Perenise, 4. Giorgi Nemsadze, 5. Ian Evans, 6. Nick Koster, 7. Nick Fenton-Wells, 8. James Phillips.
Replacements: 16. Chris Brooker, 17. Jack O’Connell, 18. Jamal Ford-Robinson, 19. Ben Glynn, 20. Joe Joyce, 21. Martin Roberts, 22. Adrian Jarvis, 23. Jack Tovey.

What's happened to Jordan Williams? Doesn't seem to be anywhere near the match day squads anymore. Such a shame, so much talent....

He's been in the squad frequently,played against Leicester a couple of weeks ago, not sure how much as the club website doesn't have a stats section. Was unlikely to play in the European games

I'd say that Homer would have had a (losing) fight on his hands once Watson returns... but for Banahan's injury (and he still may, with Freaun offering a fairly like-for-like replacement for Banas)
Ewels first choice bencher; I just can't see him ahead of Attwood or Charteris just yet.
Ellis is way behind Louw for the 7 shirt he seems to be being groomed for now.
Clark is behind Tapuai, JJ and Freuan.
Lahiff I'd suggest is 3rd choice on either side of the scrum.

Batty - yeah, fair play, pretty evens between himself and Dunn currently.

Neither Louw or Watson are available, I agree on both counts but based on what Blackadder has available to him both are first team selections.

You're right about Ewels, given all the back row injuries we've had he has been first choice in a lot of scratch packs but really he's a bench player, true.

Batty Vs Dunn ... it's the classic loose Vs set piece hooker question. I'd go for Batty personally, Dunn prob has higher ceiling though

Yes, but that still makes them 2nd XV players. Oh, and Louw's off the injured list; just given an extra week to get his fitness up (not wirth risking in the Useless Cup on a plastic pitch); Watson due back around now, but yes, still on the injured list (9 weeks and counting, prognosis for a jaw# is 8-10 IIRC).

Gods, we must be board if we're reduced to arguing this one.
2 hours before I get to go home...
3/4 hour until my next patient turns up...

Last edited:
I know, not even for a proper competition. Off to the pub for me, enjoy your last patient!

Sheesh, even Pro12 basement boys Treviso can pick up a routine away win in this competition against a team from a "top" league.

Anyone know where I can find video highlights of the Ospreys v Grenoble game? Heard Keelan Giles scored a magical try. Would quite like to see.

Bath Vs Cardiff, Thursday 7.45 on Sky

Bath:
15. Tom Homer
14. Jack Wilson
13. Jonathan Joseph
12. Ben Tapuai
11. Aled Brew
10. George Ford ©
09. Kahn Fotuali'i

1. Nick Auterac
2. Ross Batty
3. Max Lahiff
4. Charlie Ewels ©
5. Dave Attwood
6. Tom Ellis
7. Francois Louw
8. Taulupe Faletau

16. Michael van Vuuren; 17. Beno Obano; 18. Shaun Knight; 19. Elliott Stooke; 20. Zach Mercer
21. Darren Allinson; 22. Adam Hastings; 23. Max Clark

Finally - an injury list that is shorter than the previous week.
Not considered due to injury: Henry Thomas, David Sisi, David Denton, Matt Banahan, Chris Cook, Rhys Priestland, Dan Bowden, Anthony Watson.
I think that's the first time it's dropped below 12 all season. Surely the first time our injured list is smaller than the opponent's

Rotated out (unenforced): Nat Catt; Tom Dunn; Jack Walker*; KPN; Luke Charteris, Matt Garvey; Guy Mercer**; Paul Grant**; Will Homer**; Robbie Freuan*; Semesa Rocco & Jeff Williams

* More likely just given a little extra time to heal
** Look, we're actually leaving people out because they can't make the squad! (though I'd still prefer WHomer to Allinson)

Cardiff:
15. Matthew Morgan
14. Cory Allen
13. Rey Lee-Lo
12. Willis Halaholo
11. Blaine Scully
10. Steven Shingler
09. Lloyd Williams

1. Rhys Gill
2. Kirby Myhill
3. Taufa'ao Filise
4. George Earle
5. James Down
6. Maceuley Cook
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. Josh Navidi

16. Matthew Rees; 17. Brad Thyer; 18. Scott Andrews; 19. Jarrad Hoeata; 20. Seb Davies
21. Ellis Jenkins; 22. Tomos Williams; 23. Nicky Robinson

Last edited:
Yarp, though only with one eye as I try to do paperwork in a different window - do we post naughty-links here, or are they banned?

Batty just butchered a guaranteed try... No defender in front of him 5m from the line, all he had to do was catch the bloody ball.

Batty just butchered a guaranteed try... No defender in front of him 5m from the line, all he had to do was catch the bloody ball.

Not sure it was as clearcut as all that, there was a gap but there were defenders. You're right that it was a terrible balls up though

Ford really needs to sort out his kicking from the tee, he's been ****e recently.

Not sure it was as clearcut as all that, there was a gap but there were defenders. You're right that it was a terrible balls up though
This - not even slightlyi guaranteed try; but still a horlicks
Ford really needs to sort out his kicking from the tee, he's been ****e recently.
Yup - that one was reminiscent of BigGav

And what happened there ... he seemed to drop it onto his foot then forget to kick it?!

Not Ford's day so far, looking a bit blunt in attack as well

Bath feel like England from the start of Lancasters era, uninspiring and going nowhere for ages then suddenly find ourselves in a prime try scoring position just to then butcher it.

Yay - some execution, finally.

I think you're being harsh again RR - we're playing all the rugby, it's just not been quite coming off.
We look the better team, just a bit rusty, and unaccustomed to playing together.

Burt's England looked like honest toilers that could take any point given them, but not create anything for themselves - we're creating plenty, just finding a forward out on the wing, dropping the final pass, or slightly miscommunicating for an offload.

Latest posts