• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions League 06/07

nah I think they're going to continue to be lucky with the draw throughout this competition, they have been so far in getting rid of Barcelona until at least the semi final, so I'd be more inclined to put my money on them getting Celtic or PSV.

I actually think Celtic would give the Chavs a game. PSV didn't even make a single chance against us in 2 games so they'd be pleased with that I imagine.

Chelsea would be well able to handle Celtic especially any physical aspect to the game, that'd suit them down to the ground, only a wonder freekick from Nakamura would give Celtic any chance, if it were to happen I'd honestly expect Chelsea to win at least 4-1 overall.

No doubt it'd be a good tie, Celtic would give them a game in Parkhead but I'd still expect them to get a victory there.

But back to tonight are Manchester United about to create history by becoming the first team to be eliminated in the group stage having won their first 3 games. Sadly methinks there's more chance of the Rat in the Vat allowing priests to give up celibacy.

Well it's all over till after Christmas, Man Utd easing through despite going behind in the first half, Celtic not surprisingly losing again away from home, most teams will be looking for them in the knockout stages, both Arsenal and Porto go through after a riveting draw in Porto this evening!!! Milan were joined by Lille who won in the San Siro while everything was done and dusted with Lyon and Real Madrid.

So the qualifiers for the Super-16.

Chelsea
Bayern Munich
Liverpool
Valencia
Lyon
Man Utd
Arsenal
Milan

Barcelona
Inter
PSV
Roma
Real Madrid
Celtic
Porto
Lille

Predictions for the next round draw...

Arsenal vs Barca
Chelsea vs Porto
Liverpool vs Celtic
Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid
Lyon Vs Inter
Valencia Vs Lille
Man Utd Vs Roma
Milan vs PSV

Full draw:

Porto v Chelsea
Celtic v AC Milan
PSV Eindhoven v Arsenal
Lille v Man United
Roma v Lyon
Barcelona v Liverpool
Real Madrid v Bayern Munich
Inter Milan v Valencia

Oh well Charlie, 2 out of 8 isn't bad I suppose.

Draw in Full

Porto v Chelsea
PSV v Arsenal
Celtic v Milan
Lille v Man Utd
Roma v Lyon
Liverpool v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Bayern Munich
Inter v Valencia

Very easy draw for the English teams, bar Liverpool but they've had enough easy draws in the pool stages previously. Unquestionably though it's the tie of the round.

Still I am Very Optimistic.... We will be the underdogs but we like it like that... we have an impressive Home Record in the Champions League... and if we can get a draw in Barca its then Advantage Liverpool...

Bring it.

It's a tough draw, the toughest we could have got, but that's life so let's just get on with it. I'm confident that if we go to the Nou and get a good result we can beat them at Anfield, as I believe that we can beat anyone at a European night at Anfield.

Write us off at your peril. However, Barca will be favourites, and rightly so. The other three must be laughing their socks off. PSV are dreadful, Lille won't repeat their result of last season and Porto are far from an intimidating proposition either.

well you could have got Inter whose form has been better than Barca's this season, despite their poor start in the group stages.

Porto vs Chelsea

The Translator and co will be delighted with this and rightly so. Porto aren't anything special, although they gave Arsenal a bit of bother in Oporto a few weeks ago. Chelsea have more than enough quality to win both legs and the tie comfortably.

Celtic vs AC Milan

This should keep the deluded Celtic fans quiet. Comfortable win for the Rosseneri. They have way too much strength and depth for Celtic. They will, as always, battle and give their all but that only gets so far in football, particularly at this level, and AC are stronger all over the pitch. AC to progress.

PSV vs Arsenal

We had a stroll in the Champions League group and that includes both matches against PSV. I don't think they put 3 passes together or managed a shot on target in both games. They are thoroughly ordinary, and Arsenal have absolutely nothing to fear. They should win both legs comfortably.

Lille vs Manchester United

United will be thrilled with this, they have a chance to enact revenge for the humilation they suffered last season and whilst I still maintain they aren't as good as they are playing they have more than enough in the tank to see off Lille.

Barcelona vs Liverpool

We can win. Not for one second saying we will, but we can. If we can get a good result out there, who knows what can happen? We'll have to up our game considerably between now and Feb/March if we want to go through but that's then. I just can't wait for the tie. At this moment in time I would say we'll put up a great fight but be edged out.

Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich

Tough one to call. You never know what you're going to get with these two teams. I would make Real slight favourites but there's no guarentees at this moment in time.

Roma vs Lyon

Not as clear cut as people think. Roma are second in Serie A on merit, not because of points deductions. They are up against, however, a team that many are tipping as outside bets to win the tournament. I don't see anything other than a Lyon win, but Roma are no mugs.

Inter Milan vs Valencia

Should be two great games. Inter look like shoe-ins for the ***le in Italy. Valencia have been struggling abysmally, but there's nothing for certain to say it will remain like that until March.

Some good games in there though, make no mistake.

Well the draw has certainly been kind to the English teams, even Liverpool, that Barca team is nowhere near what they were last season, they don't have that air of invincibility they had last season, still a big ask for Liverpool but you'd be putting more money on them this season then you would if the same draw had been made a year ago.

What's the story with Eto'o? Will he be back any time soon?

Lille V Man Utd; My god, that game was dull.

Oh-so dull. And I missed Life on Mars to watch it.

:wall:

Latest posts