• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions League 06/07

Liverpool include Craig Bellamy and John Arne Riise in their squad, despite the pair's reported altercation at a training camp this week.

Xabi Alonso should be available again after suspension, while Argentine Javier Mascherano is also eligible.

Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard has left striker Samuel Eto'o out of his squad to face the Reds, following reports of a falling-out with the 25-year-old.

Lilian Thuram could start in defence, so Rafael Marquez will push forward.

Well.......

2 - 1 TO THE LIVERPOOL!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9GR65DVTAQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9GR65DVTAQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Absolutely stunning result. Totally delighted, especially as it looked like it was going to go sour when they scored. We got off to a good start, we were assertive and positive for the first ten minutes and my good feeling about winning the game looked like it would be vindicated. How a game can turn on its head in a short period of time - their goal had been coming and they had only been going full throttle for 3 minutes. Only Carra, with a WORLD CLASS block, kept it at 0-0 before the goal came.

And what a poor goal it was. You could see how completely and utterly furious Rafa was. Whether it was Gerrard, or Riise and Arbeola or all three of them, he wasn't best pleased and neither was I. The blame has to be pinned on Gerrard. He tried to be too cute and clever. Instead of putting the ball (and Zambrotta) into the stand, he tried to kill the ball and break out. Not there, not with the stakes so high. He has to do better. To be fair to Zambrotta it was an excellent cross. Arbeloa was caught on the wrong side and Riise was out of the picture too, when maybe he shouldn't have been. But it should never have come to that. Not in a million years. It was a good header too. Horrible little gobshite that Deco though.

It was at that point I noticed something else. That referee was a complete and utter c***. I have rarely seen such a poor, biased display. Every little ****ly 50/50 went the way of the home team. Luckily we had enough to get by him and his clueless mates, but had we lost the game I would have hit the roof.

We rode the storm out and we had chances ourselves. Bellamy in particular should have done much, much better with a header in the side netting. Should have buried it. When we equalised it was ebcause we were quick and sharp. Victor Valdes will be livid with himself. It's certainly an odd thing to do - he should have pushed it away. Instead we profited. Great celebration as well, I nearly wet myself.

The second half was one way traffic and it was pleasing to see us take Barca on on their own patch. We ought to have been in front before we were when Kuyt missed an easy header. No excuses, you quite simply have to be scoring those. We had a nervy moment when that handballing little ******* Saviola scraped his way through but luckily enough his shot was average and Reina made a stop of sorts (not his greatest night) and Arbeola (who looks like he's going to be a good signing on this showing) made the crucial block.

We deserved our lead when we got it. I nearly fell off my perch when I realised than it was Riise who had scored. RIGHT foot! It was just one of those nights. We had a few scares toward the end, all through our own (or the c*** of a ref) poor decision making. Barca were poor tonight, there's no unity and I EXPECTED to win tonight. We really should go on to win this tie but we've thought that in the past. (Leverkusen)

Very pleasing stuff.

WE'RE THROUGH TO THE QUARTERS...

WOOOOOOO

KNOCKED OUT THE CURRENT CHAMPIONS!!!

GET IN THERE!!!

On other news Chelsea are through...
Valencia knock out Inter Milan
And Lyon are Knocked out by Roma... Some very big upsets so far...

Anyone hearing All English Final???

For some reason, European teams seem to find it harder playing against Liverpool than other Premiership sides. They can put in some average displays in the league, only to turn round and knock out Barca in Europe.

Probably all those Spaniards...

well they certainly made it difficult for themselves tonight, should have had it sewn up by half time, Riise alone could have had 3.

You may get the all English final but I'd be stunned if Liverpool are there, that was an ordinary team putting out a team that has lost its hunger. Would certainly be a different story were they to come against Valencia.

It's hard to pick holes in such a good performance, but I do sort of understand some of the criticism. We simply MUST go out and buy a top, top golascorer. Negatives done.

That was a superb performance. How we had to hang on and how we actually lost on the night is one of those things you just have to scratch your head about and that's about it really. We really ought to have had things wrapped up after half an hour. John Arne Riise in particularly will probably still be thinking "how have I not scored at least 2 there?"

When he hit the bar he was just unlucky, when he was denied on the line by (the excellent) Puyol that was down to superb reading of the game by the opposition... I was getting worried at that point, I got nigh on hysterical when Momo hit the bar. I just began to doubt we were going to score, and we saw what happened on Saturday. To be fair tonight was a carbon copy, we just had more than one goal to play with on this occasion.

We did take them to pieces but they got a foothold in the second half. In my view, this was because the strikers were ten yards too deep and the space between them and the midfield was huge. The ball kept coming back at us. We had our warning when the largely anonymous Ronaldinho hit the post after a great run. We were under a fair bit of pressure but the sensational (and MOM by a million miles) Carragher was keeping them at bay. In fact, as a unit in defence we were superb today. My mind is finally made up about Agger - three high pressure games in 2 weeks and he's been class in all of them. A gem. Arbeloa looks promising as well. Josemi made a good start as well, so proceed with caution, but this guy looks class.

Did anyone else notice, by the way, what an utter bell the referee was? Booking both Arbeloa and Sissoko in quick succession for nothing tackles, letting Deco make decisions for him, warning us for time wasting after 6 minutes. Knob.

We were ultimately hanging on but that performance would beat most teams in Europe. We can be very proud of ourselves after that tonight. I doubt we're going to win it but if we play like that we'll give ourselves a very, very good chance of beating anyone. But we MUST start scoring goals.

Well if giving away posession so easily warrants a superb performance I'm not quite sure what a superb performance really is then.

it was a mixed one for me... im not a liverpool fan so the whole tie home and away isnt so important to me.

from looking at the game itself i thought it was reasonable from the homeside. they were the better team for most of the game. they certainly didnt go into there shell which was what afew people were wary of. Riise must be wondering what he did to annoy the man upstairs because at times the barca keeper had no idea.

having said all of that... they still lost 1-0 at home to a side that is not playing very good football at the moment. sure they got through... but if this was the 1st leg of the tie the result would be a disaster.

all in all.... liverpool did what they needed to do to get through but in no way did they back off from the defending champs. they will be very dangerous in the 1/4's. im going to go against you guys and say i think they are very much capable of winning the damn thing. infact, i think they are a better shot then chelsea at the moment. chelsea were very lucky to go through without extra time.

STUPID NZ TELLY!!!
we have the ESPN coverage of the CL which sucks because the live game we have going at the moment is Real V Bayern. Bayern currently up 1-0.

United 0-0 at present.

Well With all the trouble at the end of the Valencia and Inter Milan Game, Comes this great comedy clip I have just discovered...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sru0OgPYAog"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sru0OgPYAog" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Well if giving away posession so easily warrants a superb performance I'm not quite sure what a superb performance really is then. [/b]

You have been watching those gobshites who know nothing on RTE again haven't you?

And that version of the Benny Hill vs. Valencia and Inter fight is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

<div class='quotemain'> Well if giving away posession so easily warrants a superb performance I'm not quite sure what a superb performance really is then. [/b]

You have been watching those gobshites who know nothing on RTE again haven't you?
[/b][/quote]

I'm one of those people who can make up my mind for myself and I'll take the football analysis of John Giles over Jamie Redknapp any day.

Not surprisingly some patronising reporting on Sky Sports News ahead of the draw for the quarter finals. "most teams will be looking for PSV in the draw as they'll basically be seen as a soft touch" or words to that effect, but what utter tosh. You'd think people would have more respect for this team given what they've achieved in the competition in the last few years.

I'd imagine most teams wouldn't be too daunted by the prospect of Liverpool and Man Utd but heaven forbid they say that on Sky Sports News.

For me Chelsea and Valencia are the teams to avoid.

Not surprisingly some patronising reporting on Sky Sports News ahead of the draw for the quarter finals. "most teams will be looking for PSV in the draw as they'll basically be seen as a soft touch" or words to that effect, but what utter tosh. You'd think people would have more respect for this team given what they've achieved in the competition in the last few years.

I'd imagine most teams wouldn't be too daunted by the prospect of Liverpool and Man Utd but heaven forbid they say that on Sky Sports News.

For me Chelsea and Valencia are the teams to avoid.
[/b]

Utd might well finish the season a little toothless without Saha or Henrik....still wouldn't consider them a soft touch. The RojoMierda only really seem to come alive in Europe. In a way an easy looking draw would be the worst thing for them. Their players rise to the occasion against Barca etc but you never know whether they'll fancy a less glamourous tie.

It's all cack anyway....Bring on the Platini revolution and proper European tournaments!!!!!!!!!

If I had to pick a team to draw it would be Roma or PSV. Not because I think they are shite but because they are of the weaker group. Having said that Bayern don't scare me too much either and the prospect of getting revenge over United would be mouthwatering.... Chelsea don't scare me as we seem to have something over them.

Valencia are the team to avoid. However, I predict that's who we'll draw. No point hiding now, it's squeaky bum time. We've beaten the European Champions, if we're going to win it (we won't) then we're going to have to beat everyone anyway.

Bring it.

prob.jpg

My Predictions for the next round...

Chelsea v AC Milan
Manchester United v Bayern Munich
Liverpool v Roma
Valencia v PSV

Well I got them all wrong...

Quarter-final draw
AC Milan v Bayern Munich
PSV Eindhoven v LIVERPOOL
Roma v MANCHESTER UNITED
CHELSEA v Valencia

(First legs to be played on 3/4 April and second legs on 10/11 April)

Semi-final draw
CHELSEA or Valencia v PSV Eindhoven or LIVERPOOL
Roma or MANCHESTER UNITED v AC Milan or Bayern Munich

(First legs to be played on 24/25 April and second legs on 1/2 May)

So long as it's a Liverpool v United final, I couldn't care about the run in.

Latest posts