• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Depression And Friends

Tell him that if John Kirwan can admit to it, anyone can...

Admittedly this example would work better with a forward, but hey, gotta work with what you're given.
Or a man..Or even someone who knew anything about rugby...but hey :p worth a shot I'm sure...But no I'm going to have to drag the person in even though they want to go...they keep putting it off and I reckon it's down to the previous admission of fear.

Or a man..Or even someone who knew anything about rugby...but hey :p worth a shot I'm sure...But no I'm going to have to drag the person in even though they want to go...they keep putting it off and I reckon it's down to the previous admission of fear.

Actually its better this way. My point was a forward would be a better example of courage, because we all know what backs are like. But if your friend knows nothing about rugby, you can just say that even elite, tough as nails athletes admit it ;)

But yeah. I'm being mildly flippant - I've not had to talk a friend into going to get help, I'm not sure what I'd say. I've helped enough friends with this sort of problem, but not that one. Good luck to you and your friend.

I thinks it's the best area to start but hardest battle to do is turning negative thinking in to positive like it takes millions of positive thoughts to build up positivity but only 1 or 2 negative thoughts to drag you back to start.
But when you don't have the friends and support as many of our stories have said then it is extremely tougher too because there isn't that outlet of morale support to get you through hard days.

It's not very far off topic, but what defines a friend?

Seems a much bandied about term, always been so?

It's not very far off topic, but what defines a friend?

Seems a much bandied about term, always been so?

A friend for me is the boys I grew up with who I dont talk to for months to years but when we meet up for a beer or something its like we have never been away from each other and we just act like there as been no time lapse in the friendship. These friends for me mean so much to me as they helped me through a time when I contemplated ending it all at one point when I was 19 years old after finding my father dead, I dont want to advertise my blog but read it here: http://mypoeticjustice.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/my-dad-my-story/ it may help (I wrote about waht happend and made me feel so bad this helped so much) the original op as I have dealt with depression and still get it from time to time but these days I am very laid back and through sheer determination of refusing to fell down and having the support of good friends who helped me through a lot I am very good now, its taken time no joke about that it was hard as well some days just wake up and stay in bed crying not wanting to move then others just dont care what you do go no concern for your safety but it all comes crashing down and at that point this is when you need to find that inner strength and say I need help and I can do this I wont let this burden me anymore.

Nowadays like I said I am very good and I know both sides after suffering for it and seeing both my ex and my current girlfrind going through it for different things.

A friend for me is the boys I grew up with who I dont talk to for months to years but when we meet up for a beer or something its like we have never been away from each other and we just act like there as been no time lapse in the friendship. These friends for me mean so much to me as they helped me through a time when I contemplated ending it all at one point when I was 19 years old after finding my father dead, I dont want to advertise my blog but read it here: http://mypoeticjustice.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/my-dad-my-story/ it may help (I wrote about waht happend and made me feel so bad this helped so much) the original op as I have dealt with depression and still get it from time to time but these days I am very laid back and through sheer determination of refusing to fell down and having the support of good friends who helped me through a lot I am very good now, its taken time no joke about that it was hard as well some days just wake up and stay in bed crying not wanting to move then others just dont care what you do go no concern for your safety but it all comes crashing down and at that point this is when you need to find that inner strength and say I need help and I can do this I wont let this burden me anymore.

Nowadays like I said I am very good and I know both sides after suffering for it and seeing both my ex and my current girlfrind going through it for different things.
Well put man and fair play to you - A good inspiration

Muffin how did you find yourself drifting from old friends if you don't mind me asking.?

The majority of people suffer from depression at 1 if not several stages in their lives. A comforting thought in many ways but you shouldn't let it trivialize your own feelings. If you're feeling depressed then there's a reason for it. The most important thing to do, as many have already stated, is talk to a close friend or family member. Someone who you feel comfortable around. That's the hardest part and whenever I've felt that way I always thought just saying it takes a huge weight off your shoulders.

I can pinpoint a few key moments in my life when I felt depressed;

2002, age 12, started secondary school. Took me months to adapt

2006, age 16, girlfriend broke up with me. Months of wallowing

2010, age 20, girlfriend broke up with me. Different to the first time. I began to have a break down about where my life was going. A "quarter life crisis". This is when I decided to go to counselling which was just an unbelievable help. I would honestly recommend it to anyone who's feeling very down.

2011, Ireland 10 - 22 Wales

I get depression every now and then but I carry on through it.

From what I can deduce the smarter people are the more prone they are to depression...which can be seen here..usually people who go on internet forums are above average intellectually and to see the sheer number of regulars here myself included who have battled with depression is crazy.

The majority of people suffer from depression at 1 if not several stages in their lives. A comforting thought in many ways but you shouldn't let it trivialize your own feelings. If you're feeling depressed then there's a reason for it. The most important thing to do, as many have already stated, is talk to a close friend or family member. Someone who you feel comfortable around. That's the hardest part and whenever I've felt that way I always thought just saying it takes a huge weight off your shoulders.

I can pinpoint a few key moments in my life when I felt depressed;

2002, age 12, started secondary school. Took me months to adapt

2006, age 16, girlfriend broke up with me. Months of wallowing

2010, age 20, girlfriend broke up with me. Different to the first time. I began to have a break down about where my life was going. A "quarter life crisis". This is when I decided to go to counselling which was just an unbelievable help. I would honestly recommend it to anyone who's feeling very down.

2011, Ireland 10 - 22 Wales

Out of interest, did you go private, or through your doctor and public health care system? I only ask because the NHS in Britain seem very reluctant to refer people to see councellors or therapists, instead the preferred method is to prescribe anti-depressants. Even when a doctor does refer a patient to see someone, the councelling sector is completely and utterly under staffed and under funded, resulting in crazy waiting times and very strict and limited appointment slots. My gf was basically told that you've gotta be close to, or in the middle of a breakdown before many clinics will accept you, by which time the damage is severe and difficult to treat.

If tv shows etc. are to be believed, this is one area that the USA have right. It appears that seeing a therapist is a common thing to do on a regular basis. Here people seem to look down upon people who require therapy, despite the majority of people suffering from depression at one time or another.

I did abnormal psychology in University last year and there may be things that people should consider when going through this line of thought.

Major Depressive Episode
A. Five (or more) of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.​

Note: Do note include symptoms that are clearly due to a general medical condition, or mood-incongruent delusions or hallucinations.

(1) depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful). Note: In children and adolescents, can be irritable mood.

(2) markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (as indicated by either subjective account or observation made by others)

(3) significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g., a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day. Note: In children, consider failure to make expected weight gains.

(4) insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day

(5) psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)

(6) fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day

(7) feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being sick)

(8) diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day (either by subjective account or as observed by others)

(9) recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide
B. The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode.

C. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hypothyroidism).

E. The symptoms are not better accounted for by Bereavement, i.e., after the loss of a loved one, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation.​

Major Depressive Disorder​

Single EpisodeA. Presence of a single Major Depressive EpisodeB. The Major Depressive Episode is not better accounted for by Schizoaffective Disorder and is not superimposed on Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Delusional Disorder, or Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.C. There has never been a Manic Episode, a Mixed Episode, or a Hypomanic Episode. Note: This exclusion does not apply if all the manic-like, mixed-like, or hypomanic-like episodes are substance or treatment induced or are due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.RecurrentA. Presence of two or more Major Depressive Episodes. Note: To be considered separate episodes, there must be an interval of at least 2 consecutive months in which criteria are not met for a Major Depressive Episode.B. The Major Depressive Episodes are not better accounted for by Schizoaffective Disorder and are not superimposed on Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Delusional Disorder, or Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.C. There has never been a Manic Episode, a Mixed Episode, or a Hypomanic Episode. Note: This exclusion does not apply if all the manic-like, mixed-like, or hypomanic-like episodes are substance or treatment induced or are due to the direct physiological effects or a general medical condition.​
http://www.mental-health-today.com/dep/dsm.htm

Out of interest, did you go private, or through your doctor and public health care system? I only ask because the NHS in Britain seem very reluctant to refer people to see councellors or therapists, instead the preferred method is to prescribe anti-depressants. Even when a doctor does refer a patient to see someone, the councelling sector is completely and utterly under staffed and under funded, resulting in crazy waiting times and very strict and limited appointment slots. My gf was basically told that you've gotta be close to, or in the middle of a breakdown before many clinics will accept you, by which time the damage is severe and difficult to treat.

If tv shows etc. are to be believed, this is one area that the USA have right. It appears that seeing a therapist is a common thing to do on a regular basis. Here people seem to look down upon people who require therapy, despite the majority of people suffering from depression at one time or another.

American TV shows are a joke. Most of the time you get what's called psychoanalytic theory ie Freadian Psychology. It is rubbish. "Look at inc blots and tell me what you see", it's entertaining but is not at all helpful. People who are seriously depressed are likely to have 9-12 sessions and will almost always be given medication. Medication works. Everyone is reluctant because they feel it doesn't work in initial trials and there is the "zombie" myth that people have. The reality is, it takes a while to work. The first thing that will start is you will feel more energized. This is a good and bad thing, as more people with renewed energy but still are emotionally depressed get more motivation to kill themselves. HOWEVER, after a few weeks on the drugs, mood increases with the energy.

Just some information.

One of the reasons I took Psychology was because I suspected I had depression so I get what people are going through. Recently my good friend of mine died in a ballon accident. She was only 19, so I was down for quite a while, but remember that's normal. A breakup or a death makes you feel sad, it's only after a prolonged period of time (2 months accorinding to DSM IV) that it stops becoming normal and starts becoming depression.

Last edited:
American TV shows are a joke. Most of the time you get what's called psychoanalytic theory ie Freadian Psychology. It is rubbish. "Look at inc blots and tell me what you see", it's entertaining but is not at all helpful. People who are seriously depressed are likely to have 9-12 sessions and will almost always be given medication. Medication works. Everyone is reluctant because they feel it doesn't work in initial trials and there is the "zombie" myth that people have. The reality is, it takes a while to work. The first thing that will start is you will feel more energized. This is a good and bad thing, as more people with renewed energy but still are emotionally depressed get more motivation to kill themselves. HOWEVER, after a few weeks on the drugs, mood increases with the energy.

Well I never really accepted that looking at ink blots etc. is what actually heppened. But can anyone confirm or deny that therapy is a widely used 'tool' in America?

I'm not sure the "zombie" effects of anti-depressants are a myth. My gf was put on quite strong anti-depressants a few years back, and she reported severe zombie like effects. They really don't react well with some people (she never got along with them), and they simply should not be the automatic first port of call as treatment imo. Unfortunately prescribing some meds is easier, cheaper and in the short term probably more effective for most people. However teaching people how to deal with depression (and related mental condition such as anxiety) would be a much more effective long term treatment that could help prevent future episodes (and possibly save lives). It's important to teach sufferers the early signs, which can be missed, or ignored, and the best way to deal with them quickly and efficiently. Meds teaches people nothing.

I went private. It costs an arm and a leg but it was worth it for me. I probably should've looked into the public health care scheme for counselling. The HSE launched an advertising campaign a while ago prompting people to seek counselling if they feel depressed so I'd imagine they provide a decent enough service.

I'd imagine the Irish system is quite good , however of you want to got private there is a huge list of people available online...for an idea what my mate would be pooking at could you pm what sort of pricing you experienced by going private ?

I was paying €80-100 per one hour session. It's seems very expensive but I view my long term health as being a hell of a lot more important than a few hundred euro.

I'd imagine the Irish system is quite good , however of you want to got private there is a huge list of people available online...for an idea what my mate would be pooking at could you pm what sort of pricing you experienced by going private ?

I paid €60 per 1 hour session. It was tough to see that amount of money go sometimes but it was genuinely worth it.

Well I never really accepted that looking at ink blots etc. is what actually heppened. But can anyone confirm or deny that therapy is a widely used 'tool' in America?

Therapy is definitely more prevalent in America than the UK- my mother's side has an American background and the difference in attitude is particularry noticeable. In America it is far more common to have seen a therapist (IIRC about 1 in 10 see one on a regular basis)

There certainly isn't the stigma which you seem to find in European countries.

My situation has developed to the point where I resigned from my job this morning. My mental problems were too prevalent and at the end of the day prevented my doing the job to any level of competency.