• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Depression And Friends

My situation has developed to the point where I resigned from my job this morning. My mental problems were too prevalent and at the end of the day prevented my doing the job to any level of competency.

Sorry to hear about that man. Have you consulted a Psychologist?

My situation has developed to the point where I resigned from my job this morning. My mental problems were too prevalent and at the end of the day prevented my doing the job to any level of competency.

Sorry to hear that bro...

Said I'd drag this up as there's a lot more people on here since originals and well it's topic close to my heart. From suffering from mild depression at times and mental health such as over stressed or over worry etc.
Sometimes I make silly mistakes or well have lack of judgement and well while help is great, maintaining recovery/focus is where I find the biggest struggle.
I'm hoping to do bit a course on it but also would love to hear others views or experiences

well dude all I can say is this: depression is all in your head, i.e. it's not based on a reality or at least it distorts a reality into something depressing that shouldn't be in the first place. Some people live with terrible diseases, missing limbs, crazy shiit and they're still smiling and trying to help others in fact. And often times the issues are just first world problems. We live in "rich countries" and can "afford" to be depressed or aww poor thing he's feeling sad and lonely while others are in the jungle getting genocided by other groups or getting raped and beaten the fk up as a daily deed. I'm not saying ALL problems in the West are bs, but say a good 3/4's are. This is going to sound cheap, but either man up, yeah there's shiit in this life but like I said, fkng hell could be a million times worse, and having trouble with the ladies on dates or feeling a bit lonely ain't *problems*; or if it's a real issue, talk to a shrink if you can afford it, the mind is like the body, it gets injured sometimes and pros can fix that; or let life teach you how to get out of it.
If you're a Christian, I speak about this because it's a thing I know, dunno about other beliefs and stuff, trust God, trust life itself will heal you and give you all the answers provided you show humility and patience and pray. It can feel like you're talking to your mind between four walls sometimes, but God works in mysterious ways. If you don't want to call him God, call it life. Trust life will eventually show you but man up, stay strong, and instead of complaining try solving on your own.

Last edited:
well dude all I can say is this: depression is all in your head, i.e. it's not based on a reality or at least it distorts a reality into something depressing that shouldn't be in the first place. Some people live with terrible diseases, missing limbs, crazy shiit and they're still smiling and trying to help others in fact. And often times the issues are just first world problems. We live in "rich countries" and can "afford" to be depressed or aww poor thing he's feeling sad and lonely while others are in the jungle getting genocided by other groups or getting raped and beaten the fk up as a daily deed. I'm not saying ALL problems in the West are bs, but say a good 3/4's are. This is going to sound cheap, but either man up, yeah there's shiit in this life but like I said, fkng hell could be a million times worse, and having trouble with the ladies on dates or feeling a bit lonely ain't *problems*; or if it's a real issue, talk to a shrink if you can afford it, the mind is like the body, it gets injured sometimes and pros can fix that; or let life teach you how to get out of it.
If you're a Christian, I speak about this because it's a thing I know, dunno about other beliefs and stuff, trust God, trust life itself will heal you and give you all the answers provided you show humility and patience and pray. It can feel like you're talking to your mind between four walls sometimes, but God works in mysterious ways. If you don't want to call him God, call it life. Trust life will eventually show you but man up, stay strong, and instead of complaining try solving on your own.

Big E. While I agree with bits and disagree with others I do respect that 100%. It's interesting views and very good debate on life. I am Christian but I think part of depression in some case is down to lack of faith/trust. Not just religion but peoples beliefs in themselves or ability to see bigger picture. But I don't think depression or mental health can be dismissed that easy

Strongly disagree. Depression isn't necessarily the person lamenting their condition, it is a mental issue that goes deeper. The man up attitude is disgusting and harmful.

Strongly disagree. Depression isn't necessarily the person lamenting their condition, it is a mental issue that goes deeper. The man up attitude is disgusting and harmful.

Agreed. Depression is as legit a medical condition as a broken arm or cancer. It doesn't just go away by having someone say "ah look, sure things are grand." Your life could be great in every measurable external way, but you still can have the illness. I'm sure that MM will agree with me when I say that Irish society has been particularly slow to take this on board, but it would appear that opinion is finally starting to turn in the correct direction, particularly amongst the younger generations.

Anyway, the main thing is being able to talk about it and get the support you need. The web is a great resource for this, as it can sometimes be difficult to bring yourself to explain your situation to those close to you, or those people may simply not be there. Reddit has a particularly good community for depression, I'd recommend anyone concerned check it out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/depression/

I'm not saying there isn't a true psychological dimension to man, like I said as can the body get sick, so can the mind. And you can get professional help for that, provided the shrink is of a true scientific mind and not some weed-smoking Nietzsche/Freud enthusiast. Everything in life works in mechanisms and patterns and if they're fkd so can they be put back in place. The mind is no exception. In fact, what we're finding in today's medicine is that loads of psychological illnesses/imbalances are body-bound, as in hormonal/parasitic/infectious.
But yes, it's a fact the 'man up' solution works, at least in some instances. Fighting through the shiit is an option. And although this isn't at all about me: I should know, trust me. Just making a point I know this to be real. You can be miserable - miserable - and lament like a bish, or you can "man up" and just keep going and going and going.

If depression comes from something real though, like I said, some body-bound microbe or whatever then yes it needs proper treatment. Having cancer and 'manning up' ain't gonna solve anything, we agree there.
But for all the rest. Show some fkn balls, and quit being a drama-queen. We all got issues, and some of us real ones. Stopping and thinking about a problem isn't going to solve it, and loads of "depressed" people I've known myself had a sickness indeed: softness, the illusion first world problems are real problems.

It might not be what you meant to say, but what you wrote comes across as the backwards stigmatizing of people who are genuinely depressed.

EDIT: You cleared it up a bit in your next post, but I still maintain that there is no harm in discussing problems. The man up approach achieves nothing.

Last edited:
It might not be what you meant to say, but what you wrote comes across as the backwards stigmatizing of people who are genuinely depressed.

I don't give a shiit what that post "comes across" as, I give a shiit what *it is*. Read my second post for clarification.

I don't give a shiit what that post "comes across" as, I give a shiit what *it is*. Read my second post for clarification.
I was writing my post while your second one was going up. Hence the edit.

Last edited:
I'm not saying there isn't a true psychological dimension to man, like I said as can the body get sick, so can the mind. And you can get professional help for that, provided the shrink is of a true scientific mind and not some weed-smoking Nietzsche/Freud enthusiast. Everything in life works in mechanisms and patterns and if they're fkd so can they be put back in place. The mind is no exception. In fact, what we're finding in today's medicine is that loads of psychological illnesses/imbalances are body-bound, as in hormonal/parasitic/infectious.
But yes, it's a fact the 'man up' solution works, at least in some instances. Fighting through the shiit is an option. And although this isn't at all about me: I should know, trust me. Just making a point I know this to be real. You can be miserable - miserable - and lament like a bish, or you can "man up" and just keep going and going and going.

If depression comes from something real though, like I said, some body-bound microbe or whatever then yes it needs proper treatment. Having cancer and 'manning up' ain't gonna solve anything, we agree there.
But for all the rest. Show some fkn balls, and quit being a drama-queen. We all got issues, and some of us real ones. Stopping and thinking about a problem isn't going to solve it, and loads of "depressed" people I've known myself had a sickness indeed: softness, the illusion first world problems are real problems.

Look, I know what you're trying to say here, but I really don't think it's the right place. It's coming across that you think that you're in a position to judge whether someone's depression is real and as such can judge them accordingly. That stinks man. Nothing gives you that right. Have a read back over the thread, it's really not the place for that kind of attitude.

I was writing my post while your second one was going up.

...and that's ALL YOUR FAULT !!!!!!!!!!!

Look, I know what you're trying to say here, but I really don't think it's the right place. It's coming across that you think that you're in a position to judge whether someone's depression is real and as such can judge them accordingly. That stinks man. Nothing gives you that right. Have a read back over the thread, it's really not the place for that kind of attitude.

I don't think my post is negative, which would be something that stinks. Help doesn't always taste sweet and peachy with roses and smiling nurses wearing hot leggings, a little bit of a shakeup sometimes helps, it's helped more than once I know that. Call my posts stinky when I say negative things, and I haven't tried to say anything, I have *said*. Nothing in my post suggests anything about my being superior or similar notions, it's all what I've learned in this world being alive and taking poundings. You've got to be tough - the real 'tough' - sometimes...I wish we didn't, but such is the life down here, right now.
If you wanted me to write a generic feel-good post with sympathy and empty gestures, then indeed we won't agree. I'm no psychologist, but I do mention that route. No shame in talking to someone, no shame whatsoever. Fk old school people who think that entire dimension of Man doesn't exist. As the body, so the mind.

OK, I'm not going to try and change your mind, but please refrain from the "man up" mentality on this thread, where people want to discuss their personal issues.

OK, I'm not going to try and change your mind, but please refrain from the "man up" mentality on this thread, where people want to discuss their personal issues.

fine. I've extended my neutral opinion about this, as if it needed to be said - not in the intention to hurt anyone - but what my personal life has shaped me up to understand. Again, can't offer anything technically helpful here, I'm no psychologist - believe it or not, what I originally wanted to become.
But don't make me into a jerk here because I speak my mind, way too easy. Hopefully some see that.

Spoken like a person who has clearly never experienced depression.

You wouldn't tell a person who has just had a death in the family to man up and stop feeling sad, and even if they wanted to stop feeling sad they couldn't just force themselves into a state of happiness. Imagine how difficult it would be for a person who is feeling incredibly down, but has no 'justifiable reason' for doing so. It's not easy to just control your emotions, a lot of the time they're irrational and unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about it.

I think the 'man up' expression can be taken in many ways. Personally I see it as 'ok, you know the problem, now address it!'
I don't find it abusive in the context in which it was said. I think it's more layman's terms for how to address the problem of any mental disorder. People need to admit the problem first, then 'man up'(aka admit it to others) and try to find a solution.

This is worth the 13 minutes to watch for anyone who is suffering from the black mist, or who, like me, has done so in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
We live in "rich countries" and can "afford" to be depressed or aww poor thing he's feeling sad and lonely...

There's an increasing number of studies into the effects of loneliness on health problems. The most recent one I'm aware of put the rate of premature death among the elderly at 14pc for those who are lonely; that's up there with obesity and poverty. Other studies are linking it to higher incidences of dementia and heart disease.

Latest posts