• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does Ireland have any chance?

MadDog1999

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Seeing that Ireland drew 16-16 against Wales and now lost 10-9 to France do they have any chance in the six nations to win against England, Italy and Scotland? Seeing Italys performance yesterday against England I sort of have hopes for Ireland against them but seeing the way Ireland is going I am worried for them. I still believe in them it's just that I have to face reality of things.

Last edited:
Seeing that Ireland drawer 16-16 against Wales and now lost 10-9 to France do they have any chance in the six nations to win against Scotland, Italy and Scotland? Seeing Italys performance yesterday against England I sort of have hopes for Ireland against them but seeing the way Ireland is going I am worried for them. I still believe in them it's just that I have to face reality of things.

if they play scotland twice then i fancy their chances ;) haha. but seriously, ive got a feeling they might cause an upset against england, no idea why

I'm afraid that for Ireland, they are not in with a chance of the 6 Nations ***le this year. England and France both would have to lose twice in their remaining fixtures and Wales would have to lose at least once.
Whilst it is entirely possible for Wales to lose to either France or England (possibly both), it is also possible that France may lose twice (against Wales and England). I cannot see England losing twice at home.
Ireland have problems with injuries - you will know better than me if the replacements needed will be good enough as they need to win at Twickenham.

Ireland already know the 6 Nations is lost so Schmidt will probably look at the final two games v Italy and Scotland to bed in new players but he will absolutely target the England game. They had a tough fixture list, Wales then France then England, and also injuries and retirement to contend with. They still have a big game in them and i think they could rally against England. England looked anything but a class act until the interception try and Italy visibly wilted from that point. they found themselves 9 points behind when only 5 minutes before they could have been 1 ahead. The question is, which is the real England? Hardly inspiring against Scotland and for 50 minutes distictly average against Italy.

I think Ireland will really test them.

I was afraid that Ireland wouldn't have a chance for the ***le from the very start sadly enough. I hoped and hoped but my hopes are gone down the drain. Ya, Ireland will test them but as you all said it is highly unlikely that they have a chance anymore. Ireland has to rethink their strategies especially when it comes to rough games like yesterday and also the game against Wales. What did ye all think of the ref yesterday? I thought he was giving a bit too much leeway lack of a better word and gave France the win.

Ireland live off other teams giving away penalties and the remaining teams Ireland have to face are all giving away lots of penalties. Ireland will be able to hold out Italy without problems and easily win once Italy tire, Scotland give away too many penalties but could get through the normally solid Irish defence. Also I fancy they could keep Ireland tryless. England is a real 50/50, if we tighten up on our discipline, get to rucks properly and give away nothing for free, I can see Ireland seriously struggling against us and resorting to kick chases as the only way to make ground. On the other hand if we have a first half like against Italy, Ireland will just pin us back in our half and take 3 points time and time again like they did last year. It's a game like Ireland where I'd really want someone like Daly over JJ. JJ did really well but having a long range kicker at 13 combine with one at 10 and 12 would allow us to better compete in a kicking game.

Ireland won't lose to Italy or Scotland, even if they choose to test some new players. And I bet the Irish will do their best to beat England or at least to prevent them from winning the tournament, like France did last year. For some reason, everyone loves to see England fail :)

Ireland won't lose to Italy or Scotland, even if they choose to test some new players. And I bet the Irish will do their best to beat England or at least to prevent them from winning the tournament, like France did last year. For some reason, everyone loves to see England fail :)

I think Scotland will beat Ireland at the moment . I fancy Scotland to win all their remaining games to be honest if they can concentrate for longer than 50 minutes that is

Generally the reason can be found if you go back a century or millenia. Some English farmer throwing cowpat across the border into Wales or something like that and they will not let history forget that!

Some new faces and 9 tries including two in Twickenham should be Schmidt's goal. Everytime we have failed to win a competitive game under Schmidt, apart from his 2013 games, it has been due to our inability to score tries. We lost grand slams the last two years because tries wouldn't come when we had sufficient pressure vs England and Wales, the comeback against Argentina failed because tries for them came a lot easier than for us in similar circumstances and on Saturday a try in the first half would have put the game to bed. Our defence has been world class under two centre pairings and umpteen back threes, our kicking game is arguably second to none, our set piece rarely falters with anything resembling a first choice front five and our backrow can play ball with the best of them with two key injuries as the draw against Wales showed. The only thing that's missing is try scoring ability and it's not a case of being a little off where we should be, Ireland are probably the worst tier 1 nation at scoring tries. Being able to win without scoring tries can be useful at times but Schmidt's sides have shown that at it's absolute best it will make you the best team in a weak Europe. Schmidt must change how this team plays rugby and new faces in the pack and backs are needed to do this, it's not an overnight fix but if he can do good work over the next 5 weeks it may have Ireland in a position where we can be competitive in South Africa. Otherwise we can lose in Twickenham and beat Scotland and Italy in Dublin by playing the same rugby and pat ourselves on the back for having regressed 3 years in the course of one 6 nations...

If Wales lose to England
England lose to Ireland and France
France lose to Scotland and Wales

That is the only way realistic path I see for Ireland having a chance. And who knows, its not hugely improbable. I could see Wales losing to England, France losing to Scotland and Wales, England is the main problem. I dont see us beating them at Twickers, and I dont see them losing to France. But by the 5th weekend teams could look very different. So who knows? Its not fun having to rely on outside defeats though.

If Wales lose to England
England lose to Ireland and France
France lose to Scotland and Wales

That is the only way realistic path I see for Ireland having a chance. And who knows, its not hugely improbable. I could see Wales losing to England, France losing to Scotland and Wales, England is the main problem. I dont see us beating them at Twickers, and I dont see them losing to France. But by the 5th weekend teams could look very different. So who knows? Its not fun having to rely on outside defeats though.

and if my auntie had balls she would be my uncle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beating England, Scotland and Italy won't win us a ***le but it would a successful 6 nations all things considered.

Probably not the place but also not worth a new thread, the IRFU have announced we'll play the All Blacks in the Bears stadium in November. And if you don't know by now I'm talkin bout cha town.

Probably not the place but also not worth a new thread, the IRFU have announced we'll play the All Blacks in the Bears stadium in November. And if you don't know by now I'm talkin bout cha town.

Was announced a while back. We agreed that for Adidas and in return we get them in Dublin few weeks later

With Schmidt finally starting to blood some new players, I think the future is actually quite bright for Ireland...

1) - McGrath
2) - ???
3) - Furlong
4) - Henderson
5) - Dillane
6) - POM
7) - VDF
8) - Stander
9) - Murray
10) - Sexton
11) - Earls
12) - McCloskey