Dragons v Glasgow

A

An Tarbh

<div align=\'center\'>
Dragons.png
Dragons v Glasgow
Glasgow.png
</div>

The Dragons field five debutants in the starting line-up and another on the bench for Friday night's Magners League opener at Rodney Parade.

New skipper and hooker Tom Willis is joined by backs James Arlidge, Marc Stcherbina, Rory Sidey and Tal Selley with Grant Webb on the bench.

Tim Barker and scrum-half Mark McMillan appear in the Glasgow starting XV.

McMillan spent last season with Wasps, while lock Barker had been linked with a move from Ulster to Castres.

Meanwhile, Glasgow coach Sean Lineen does not expect his side to win this season's ***le but is confident they can earn another best-ever finish.

"I just want to be better this season in everything we do," said Lineen.

The Warriors finished fifth last season thanks to a string of wins in their final matches and Lineen is keen to start out where the team left off.

"We surpassed expectations of the public and we now must hold the belief to keep that going," said Lineen.

Lineen also said his side are ready for a tough encounter in the Magners League opener when Glasgow make the trip to face the Dragons at Rodney Parade on Friday.

"The Dragons match is very important because it can set a tone in terms of momentum and belief.

"If you lose, you have to spend time and energy regrouping.

"I am not for a minute expecting us to win 29 games this season and win the Heineken Cup. But I am expecting us to be pro-active in all we do and improve on our fifth place."

Lineen outlined his aims as he revealed his line-up for Friday's opener, saying he believes victory in Wales will be crucial in terms of setting a standard for the forthcoming campaign.

"I'm realistic and when you see the strength of the squads at the likes of Leinster and Ospreys, it makes you think. But hey - bring them on.

"Every season is harder than the last and I'd like to think we now have the respect of teams in Ireland and Wales.

"We must establish consistency and that means having no passengers - if you stand still, you're dead in this game."

Meanwhile, the Dragons have made eight signings this summer with four from New Zealand, including new captain Tom Willis.

"The Magners League opener against Glasgow presents our first big chance to make a statement," said Willis.

"And we're looking forward to the challenge in front of our home crowd on Friday evening."

Dragons coach Paul Turner added: "We have recruited well over the summer and I can feel the buzz around the place.

"One thing is for sure, that there is always a sense of high-expectancy around Rodney Parade and for that you cannot fault our loyal supporters."

Dragons: Ashley Smith; Tal Selley, Rory Sidey; Marc Stcherbina, Richard Fussell, James Arlidge, Wayne Evans; Adam Black, Tom Willis (captain), Rhys Thomas, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Joe Bearman, Richard Parks, Lewis Evans.
Replacements: Hugh Gustafson, Lee Harrison, Jamie Ringer, Grant Webb, Shaun Connor, Gareth Maule, Robert Lewis.

Glasgow: B Stortoni; L Fa'atau, M Evans, G Morrison, T Evans; D Parks, M McMillan; J Va'a, D Hall, M Low, T Barker, A Kellock (capt), K Brown, J Barclay, J Beattie.
Replacements: E Milligan, K Tkachuk, O Palepoi, S Swindall, C Gregor, A Henderson, R Jackson.

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU)

BBC Sport

Decent win for Glasgow on a horrible night. Conditions were really terrible at Rodney Parade. The Dragons pack is very good and had dominance there but surprisingly it was Dan Parks that won the game for the Warriors. Although as usual Parks did manage to horribly butcher a try by throwing the final pass over Fa'atau's head and into touch. Good start for Glasgow, i always fansied them to do better than Edinburgh this season.

Latest posts