• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

Lawes was crap every time he played 6 for England
Though I suppose he does pack down there when Maro plays 6 for England so maybe it makes no difference

When? I can't remember him in the backrow and i just looked through the team lists and he only ever started at 5

When? I can't remember him in the backrow and i just looked through the team lists and he only ever started at 5
I'll admit I did the same but couldn't remember if he moved position due to injury or something.

Nothing wrong with Robshaw, he is an ideal workhorse player. You don't want everyone in your team to be flashy.
I'm a big fan of Robshaw but I would drop him. With our abundance of second rows, shifting Itoje to 6 just makes sense.
4. Lawes/Launchbury
5. Kruis/Lawes
6. Itoje
Has just as much work rate as Itoje/2nd Row/Robshaw as well as having stronger ball carrying and is such a vast improvement in the lineout. Robshaw's been a great servant to England and he's still a wonderful player, but IMO his time has come to move on.

For me we are still 2 years out. Robshaw will be 33 in 2019, which is the limit really and even then I think you have to be an exceptional player. Robshaw is great, but not the first name on the team sheet. With 2 six nations and roughly 12-15 other games you have to think about giving players experience, especially as it seems EJ is skipping players in the 25-30 bracket and going for younger ones. You want them to have as much experience as possible for the World Cup.

I have no opposition to finding a replacement for Robshaw but I'd say that if push comes to shove, he will do the job 90% of the time. I can't recall him having any really bad games for ages for England. Maybe Underhill is going to play the workhorse role but with a bit of added power, I heard he put in a shift against Saints.

After writing this up it's gone over the 10,000 character limit so I'm having to split it into multiple posts. I apologise for this, but hopefully it'll make it easier to respond to aswell.

Half way through the World Cup cycle I think we can start making some pretty accurate estimates as to what our RWC team will be. This is my effort.

Loosehead Prop: I see this as being one of the most up for grabs positions. Of Marler, Vunipola and Genge, Vunipola is probably the best player; however I think it's clear that he works best providing impact off the bench. I think his scrummaging has majorly improved so I no longer worry about that however his temperament is concerning. That leaves it between Marler and Genge. Marler is the safe bet. Lots of experience and a very reliable player in the scrum and in the loose. Not much impact but his play is unlikely to let you down. What is concerning, like Mako, is his temperament. I don't think he's the loose cannon that people make him out to be but he knows how to **** off the opposition which can get him into scraps. Genge is a hell of a player. Carries like a monster and is strong in the scrum. He definitely has the potential to force his way into the team. However with Marler and Vunipola around I don't see it happening in the next 2 years. I believe that EJ is probably a fan of the way Marler messes with other players which is why I think he'll be starting come 2019.
1. Joe Marler

Hooker: Dylan Hartley has a chance. He's been a good captain and not an awful player. However for 2019 I can't see past George. He was outstanding for the Lions and outshines Hartley in every way. LCD and Taylor are quality but I can't see them overtaking George.
2. Jamie George

Tighthead Prop: Similarly to Vunipola I think that Sinckler is the best player in his position in the country but I believe him to be most effective off of the bench. His scrummaging is still suspect and his anger is more than suspect. Williams has been very good for Exeter and is better than Cole in the loose but his scrummaging was really shown up in Argentina. For that reason, I can't see Cole being displaced before 2019.
3. Dan Cole

Locks: In my eyes this battle is between Kruis, Launchbury and Lawes. I believe that Itoje will be best utilized in the back row and although Isiekwe looks very promising, he's not getting in ahead of this lot. Currently it has to be said that Lawes is the in form player. He was outstanding on the Lions tour and has been very impressive for the Saints so far this season. His athleticism is second to none. He admittedly lacks a bit in ball carrying but the rest of his game more than makes up for it. For me he is locked in. Kruis is a lineout master. On top of that, he's a very physical player and probably our best ball carrying lock. Launchbury has been in the form of his life but his snubbing by Gatland bugs me. We can say want we want about Gatland but he's going to know more about these players than we ever will. If he left out Launchbury then there must have been reason for it. He's a hell of a player but he lacks in the lineout and in a team that relies on set piece as much as this England team, Kruis is the more obvious choice.
4. Courtney Lawes
5. George Kruis

Blindside Flanker: Chris Robshaw is an outstanding player. His work rate is simply impeccable. But I wouldn't select him. Beyond his defensive work rate (which can't be underrated) he offers nothing. He's a weak ball carrier, he's nothing special at the breakdown and offers nothing special in the lineout (Not to mention he'll be 33 by the RWC). This is why I'd select Itoje. He really isn't far behind Robshaw in defensive work rate however in every other aspect he is superior. He's a monster at the breakdown and an outstanding lineout option. His ball carrying is also significantly better IMO.
6. Maro Itoje

Openside Flanker: I don't understand the hate that Haskell gets. Sure his hands are pretty appalling but beyond that he's been nothing short of a hero for England. Getting awarded man of the series in a 3 test series in which he only played 2 tests is a pretty remarkable achievement. He wasn't hugely impressive in the 6 Nations but he hadn't played rugby in about 6 months; how could you expect him to be? Defensively he's a beast and his carrying is damned impressive too. The problem is that by the RWC he'll be 34. I can't see him making the starting team. So after that it's between the Currys and Underhill. I love the Currys. I love that physically they are really nothing special but their skillset at the breakdown and their hands have made them viable international options at such a young age. Unfortunately I love Underhill more. The Currys are special but I can't help feeling that Underhill is just something else. His defence cannot be understated. It's the best I've seen from any player in a while. Just taking the Bath game as one example, not only did he make 23 tackles in 67 minutes but every one of those tackles was bone crunching. Come 2019 he will be in consideration for the best 7 on the planet. He's remarkable.
7. Sam Underhill

Number 8: Does this really take much explaining? Hughes is good. Simmonds is in great form. But Vunipola is Vunipola. His ball carrying is invaluable to this England side. No one will take his place.
8. Billy Vunipola

Scrum Half: Another one that's relatively cut and dry. Robson's in great form but EJ isn't giving him a look in. Maunder and Townsend have great potential but both are too inexperienced to really come into consideration. Care is electric and can win games but his distribution is poor and he's too unreliable. Youngs' passing can be suspect but his box kicking is top drawer and no one can sniff around the edges of rucks like him. He's England's 9 until 2019.
9. Ben Youngs

Fly Half: I'm sure there are people who will be already calling for Marcus Smith. The kid has a huge future ahead of him but the way EJ shut him down today I can't see him anywhere near starting in 2019. "I'm sure he'll do a good job of cleaning George Ford's boots (or something along those lines)." There's no coming back from that. EJ has made it clear that Ford is his 10. Nobody will be changing that any time soon.
10. George Ford

Inside Centre: Ben Te'o had a hell of a Lions tour and has bene majorly impressive so far this season. I really don't think that off of this season's performances it's a huge claim to say that he's been outplaying SBW. That said, he's not starting for England. Not at 12 anyway. Farrell's goal kicking is the best on the planet; his kicking, his calm head in defence and his play making ability in attack is the reason England have been dominant. He's bolted on at 12.
12. Owen Farrell

Outside Centre: This is the position that I really can't lay a finger on. I've already said what I have to say for Te'o, a huge carrier and alongside Farrell would from a formidable defensive pairing. Daly is a weapon. Not only is his long range kicking a serious weapon but his pace and the way he runs with the ball is a serious worry for any team. I struggle to find any flaw in his game at 13. Some criticise his defence but personally I don't see it. Jonathan Joseph has been excellent under the EJ reign. His defence at 13 is by far the best in England. His attack isn't what it used to be but he's still a weapon and has a real nose for an intercept. Maybe Daly and Te'o would be better if given their chance but JJ has earned the 13 shirt and I can't see him being removed from it.
13. Jonathan Joseph

Back Three: I'm clumping the whole back three together due to the number of variables ie. whether Watson/Daly plays at wing or fullback etc. Due to the versatility of our back three players I feel that we are able to pick our 3 best options and slot them into each position accordingly. That said, Watson is in. Himself and Liam Williams were the only back three players that really set the series alight at any points. Watson's feet are just electric and he is solid under the high ball and in defence, as well as having a seriously underrated kicking game. Jack Nowell is a favourite of mine. Maybe it is just my Chiefs bias but I don't think you can leave him out. Yes his pace is slightly concerning but his work rate both in attack and defence are unrivalled. In a defence that is more structured than the Lions' was I can't see his pace being shown up as it was in NZ. So that's two spots nailed down, Nowell at 14 and Watson at either 11 or 15. Daly is clearly the next best player that can play in the back three but playing him there comes with flaws: a) He doesn't play there for his club. His positioning throughout the Lions was weak, he's just not a test match winger, which brings me onto point b) you'd have to play him at FB. He's just not suited to the wing, it doesn't accommodate his running game and his positioning is poor. This means Watson can't play FB which is where he plays his best rugby. c) His versatility (13/Wing/15) make him a perfect bench option. I really like Daly but I don't want to start him. The balance in the back three is off when he's in it. The issue beyond that is that no other winger has really put their hand up for selection. EJ just won't select Roko or Wade. I've never been a fan of Yarde but to be fair to him there's clearly something about him that EJ likes and he has undoubtedly had a good start to the season for Quins. I don't like Solomona. I don't like that he screams mercenary and I don't like his defence. I really hope he doesn't start in 2019. Which really leaves Earle. Earle is a long shot. He's not in the Sarries first team but the kid is quality. He was my MOTM vs the Barbarians and there is no better athlete on the English wings (maybe Cokonasiga, who is also in consideration). I hope he can force his way into this England side. On a side note, as a very long shot I could see Marcus Watson coming into consideration. Hell of an attacking weapon.
P.S I haven't mentioned Brown. The sooner he's out the better.
11. Nathan Earle
14. Jack Nowell
15. Anthony Watson

The Bench: I wanted to go into depth with the bench but the write up has taken me ~3 hours. I want to sleep.
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie
17. Mako Vunipola
18. Kyle Sinckler
19. Joe Launchbury
20. Nathan Hughes
21. Danny Care
22. Ben Te'o
23. Elliot Daly

I have no opposition to finding a replacement for Robshaw but I'd say that if push comes to shove, he will do the job 90% of the time. I can't recall him having any really bad games for ages for England. Maybe Underhill is going to play the workhorse role but with a bit of added power, I heard he put in a shift against Saints.

I think the scariest thing from Underhill's performance, was the sheer power he produced in every single tackle. Tackling technique and his strength are of a stupidly high class.

Cole is dining out on past performances massively, I'm not sure I'd have him in my EPS atm.
Leicester are still running him into the ground every week so I'd give him the AIs maybe even the 6N as well off from international rugby in the hope he can recharge his batteries and make a push for the RWC.

Sinckler and Collier for me, Williams was gash in Argentina.

Cole is dining out on past performances massively, I'm not sure I'd have him in my EPS atm.
Leicester are still running him into the ground every week so I'd give him the AIs maybe even the 6N as well off from international rugby in the hope he can recharge his batteries and make a push for the RWC.

I don't disagree with you. But what I chose was what I predict the team to be rather than what I would select and seeing as EJ's left Collier out of the training camp for Cole and Williams I can't see him fitting into EJ's plans. I imagine he'll be sticking with Cole.

Don't disagree with that. Hopefully Mulipola getting more and more match fit will mean cole will be subbed earlier and earlier. he was subbed v Saints at 69 mins and he was subbed v glous at 59 mins, hopefully a fully fit Logo will mean bench rotation and of 50 mins starting or 30 mins of the bench.

Personally I hope Hill moves from saints really his progression has stalled so much. would like him at Tigers TBH.

I like Williams he is still young but yeh he was found out in Argentina. Wonder if JFR will get game time at saints.

On the 6 front, Lawes has played his last 2 games for Saints at 6 and has probably has too of the best games in a Saints shirt.
And in the 6 nations, Itoje might have been wearing the 6 shirt but Lawes packed down there and from what I can say that's the only time it really makes a difference.

Lawes to start at 6 with Itoje in the second row, the the other second row is up for grabs

But then with no Kruis in the training squad (if that's anything to go by) that changes everything

I think the scariest thing from Underhill's performance, was the sheer power he produced in every single tackle. Tackling technique and his strength are of a stupidly high class.
Agreed. Only reservation is that if you keep hitting that hard it's likely that injuries will come calling.

Toby, good analysis. Up front I totally agree although I think Eddie will stick with Hartley if his form's reasonable.

Behind is much more up for grabs. The question I keep asking myself is what line up would have the best chance of beating the ABs. Ford-Faz has taken us beyond base camp, but I don't think can scale the summit. I'd rather see Watson at 15, but unless someone else emerges my back 3 wild card is Woodward.

Youngs
Faz
May
Te'o
Daly
Watson
Woodward

Puts a lot of pressure on Faz, but I think he can take it and Woodward / Daly can step in if he's having a bad day from the tee. Teo and Woodward bring a bit more power to complement the 3 sprinters. Round pegs in round holes with a lot of attacking threat.

Latest posts