• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England future management?

I'm always a bit weary of picking a long term captain. I think the fact that they are captain starts to matter more than their performance.

I'd agree on a captain appointed from the squad selected at the start of each international window.

Once the team is established it would more often than not be the sabe players.

Would help to develop a leadership team within the team

In France rugbyrama are quoting from Brit journos the names of Edddie Jones and Jake White the latter would have problems with a get out clause as there is not one and i think we at Montpellier would like to keep him. I think the media are just second guessing, usual when the old preverbial hits the fan, cant see England having a non English coach.

It's more that we get caught up on this highly specific argument over what constitues world class.
Butler wants to sink this back down to a fundamental argument about quality. I don't think it's really about that - the bickering with regards to the home nations is too often about that labels. When Wales do badly, everyone says they are underperforming - when we do badly we get Butler saying we don't have enough talent. Does anyone really think thats the issue here?
Regadless whether we call them world class, top class, or just class, we had a great crop of players in our squad. Ford, Watson, Vunipola, Joseph, Brown, Slade, Launchbury all could have done and should do great things. Neither Wales or Ireland have more or less talent than us - it's just about how it's used, and obviously in some positions, the fact that the best players might not have been picked.
The precise label we attach to these guys in terms of their quality didn't cause us to fail so badly in this cup.

Aye, we do end up arguing about labels.

I think I've made this argument before but I will make it again trying to avoid the labels.

Ireland march to war clustered around O'Connell, Sexton, Best and Heaslip. Wales have Warburton, AWJ, Jenkins and Roberts in a similar role. Down south - McCaw, Read, Carter, Smith; du Preez, Burger, Vermeulen, Matfield; Moore, AAC, Pocock, Giteau.

In terms of big game experience, leadership, nous and (often) consistency, we simply don't have anyone in the same league as most of these players. They are players who can lay down a performance as a marker to the rest of their team, they are players who can calm their team mates down because the others look at them and think it will be ok. I know we've had a lot of conversations about the value of experience and leadership and not everyone agrees, but I think most will agree - it's a beautiful thing on a top performer. I also think most will agree that it's worth something - in a game of tight margins, every little something counts.

I also think most of the teams I named can point to a few players who can *consistently* do things that other can't through freakish physicality and ability - guys like Folau and Pocock, Savea and Nonu, North... Ireland have looked a bit less dangerous since losing their last in BOD and look a bit livelier for finding Henderson. I'm not saying we don't have any freaks, but I don't think any of them are consistent.

Whatever we want to call the very best players, the guys who you look at as regularly defining who wins and loses games, I think those sort of players are the two main types, and I think we're awfully short of those type of players, with the total going down to none if you look for a consistent track record.

If Eddie Butler was making that point then I agree with him and I maintain it's a pretty serious impediment. Not insurmountable but no one would pick it.

I think people are sometimes guilty of judging people by their best and saying "They can do this, they're up there" when the people up there are always doing it.

I really hope we don't waste this 6 nations on Lancaster trying to redeem himself.

A new coach will probably look at the fixture list and want to installed by then.

Scotland & Italy are a nice warm and allow for some experimentation. This followed by Home-Ireland, Home-Wales, Away-France finished up with a tour of Australia. It's a pretty good way to establish yourself and prove you're doing good.

I'd go for Launchbury as captain though I dont think Itoje is to bad a shout it's just his age and experience at 1st team level.
What's everyone's thoughts on Mike Brown, Is he going to be at the next world cup?
For me he's the 1st name on the team sheet but if he won't be there then I wouldn't start him in the 6 nations and develop someone else there.
What about Cipriani playing there I know it's not his regular position but in the warm ups he looked pretty good and having him and ford on the pitch is plenty of x factor.

Alot of people saying slade as the England 12 which is a good choice but when fit I would really like to see manu and jj together with slade as cover for 10,12,13.

I'd go for Launchbury as captain though I dont think Itoje is to bad a shout it's just his age and experience at 1st team level.
What's everyone's thoughts on Mike Brown, Is he going to be at the next world cup?
For me he's the 1st name on the team sheet but if he won't be there then I wouldn't start him in the 6 nations and develop someone else there.
What about Cipriani playing there I know it's not his regular position but in the warm ups he looked pretty good and having him and ford on the pitch is plenty of x factor.

Alot of people saying slade as the England 12 which is a good choice but when fit I would really like to see manu and jj together with slade as cover for 10,12,13.

I don't want to see manu in an England shirt again until he is fit, for his own good.

Secondly he isn't a 12 and doesn't have a kicking game, a passing game or anything other than a bosh game which is not what England need at 12. We need our 12 to provide options not just smash it up every time.

I think I've made this argument before but I will make it again trying to avoid the labels.

Ireland march to war clustered around O'Connell, Sexton, Best and Heaslip. Wales have Warburton, AWJ, Jenkins and Roberts in a similar role. Down south - McCaw, Read, Carter, Smith; du Preez, Burger, Vermeulen, Matfield; Moore, AAC, Pocock, Giteau.

In terms of big game experience, leadership, nous and (often) consistency, we simply don't have anyone in the same league as most of these players. They are players who can lay down a performance as a marker to the rest of their team, they are players who can calm their team mates down because the others look at them and think it will be ok. I know we've had a lot of conversations about the value of experience and leadership and not everyone agrees, but I think most will agree - it's a beautiful thing on a top performer. I also think most will agree that it's worth something - in a game of tight margins, every little something counts.

I also think most of the teams I named can point to a few players who can *consistently* do things that other can't through freakish physicality and ability - guys like Folau and Pocock, Savea and Nonu, North... Ireland have looked a bit less dangerous since losing their last in BOD and look a bit livelier for finding Henderson. I'm not saying we don't have any freaks, but I don't think any of them are consistent.

Whatever we want to call the very best players, the guys who you look at as regularly defining who wins and loses games, I think those sort of players are the two main types, and I think we're awfully short of those type of players, with the total going down to none if you look for a consistent track record.

If Eddie Butler was making that point then I agree with him and I maintain it's a pretty serious impediment. Not insurmountable but no one would pick it.

I think people are sometimes guilty of judging people by their best and saying "They can do this, they're up there" when the people up there are always doing it.

So I agree with a lot of this.
We don't have enough, if any, big game players. We don't have enough of those who can inspire others and lead by example.
But I also think that coaching needs to install certain values and mentalities around resilience, willingness to take leadership, performance under pressure. Some players may be naturals but others may need rto be given that role and coached through it. So I'm not willing to be essentialist about we do and don't 'have' in terms of quality.

When I list those England players I don't mean to say they perform to the highest level consistently, aparty from perhaps Brown who I didn't think we can ask much more of other than to have more of a leadership role... (I know he was poor against Oz)
The majority of them show inconsistency at least to some extent but they are mostly all young.

Great article by SCW today!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...exit-criminal-Sam-Burgess-special-player.html

Shows the need for change @ RFU, he is basically telling them now if they want Him (SCW) you will have to offer the job to him outright.

He is right about hiring coaches you don't have a application process we go out and try to get them.

Andrew needs to be the first to go, then Get SCW who IMO will tell Lancaster to get experience elsewhere let him find a top quality proven coach that he thinks will work, then let him pick his coaching team.

Sorted.

If you have **** at the top **** will trickle down.

Great article by SCW today!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...exit-criminal-Sam-Burgess-special-player.html

Shows the need for change @ RFU, he is basically telling them now if they want Him (SCW) you will have to offer the job to him outright.

He is right about hiring coaches you don't have a application process we go out and try to get them.

Andrew needs to be the first to go, then Get SCW who IMO will tell Lancaster to get experience elsewhere let him find a top quality proven coach that he thinks will work, then let him pick his coaching team.

Sorted.

If you have **** at the top **** will trickle down.

I can't read the article for some reason, will make further attempts.

However the frustrating thing was in Woodward we had a progressive coach come director of rugby who won the RWC and took England justifiably to the top of the world rankings.

Post that victory the RFU ignored Woodward's demand and we lost him.

Should listened to him all those years ago!

I have a lot of time for Sir Clive and believe he should have a senior role in English set up!

I have now read the article, and yes brilliant. Sir Clive has a way of talking about our prospects and what needs to be done in such a clear way.

Andrew must go and Sir Clive should replace him.

Give him the power to go and build the coaching team, and allow him to perform the role he speaks of, basically ensuring that the coaching team can get on with coaching.

I have absolute faith that under him we would succeed.

Last edited:

IMO, the problem is selection.

On caps: international rugby clearly hones players skills. The more rugby you play at international level, the more you challenge yourself, the quicker you will hit your potential. (It's like any pursuit; you don't get to be the best by grinding on Pidgeys.) So many of our players in our squad lacked caps. Some of this was because of the unavoidable situation that we had to invest in youth, some of this was because of the amount of waste that Lancaster had gone through, particularly in the back three and centre positions.

However, I do feel that there becomes a point where caps deliver diminishing returns. I don't think McCaw is the player he is because of the number of caps; I think that he has the number of caps because he is the player he is. Robshaw, with the same number of caps as McCaw, would not be anywhere near McCaw in ability. Or even Warburton for that matter. (Robshaw lacks the athleticism and skills to ever be that good.) Lancaster's fatal error was to invest so much time in some players with low skill ceilings relative to the international standard. He had a choice between Robshaw and Kvesic at the time and picked the short term solution. At this point, Kvesic is better than Robshaw anyway, but had Lancaster picked Kvesic several years ago, Kvesic would have ~30 caps to his name by now and would be even further along in his progression.

The reason we can't build a squad around guys like Robshaw is that Robshaw's ability levels are somewhere average on the international scene. I think of it like this - Robshaw is generally a 6/10 player. When he plays bad, he dips to 3/10 or 4/10. McCaw is generally (currently) an 8/10 player. When he plays bad, he dips to 6/10. As a result, McCaw is dependable to build a squad around; even if his form means he isn't the best option in New Zealand, his resting ability level means that he'll never be a bad player to have. Whereas Robshaw/Wood have shown on numerous occasions, despite the fact that they are perhaps the most experienced combination in the England squad, that they can be comprehensively outclassed. On the other hand, May-Watson-Brown, a very inexperienced unit, happened to be our most impressive unit this WC.

So what England needs to do is ditch these mediocre "experienced" players and pick the athletes of the future; players who, like McCaw, are good enough that it's rare they have a bad game.

A decent "core" for the next 4 years is: George, Launchbury, Itoje, Kvesic, Vunipola (x2), Slade, Joseph, Tuilagi, Watson. All players with what appears to be high skill ceilings. There are enough future stars there that some will make it, and I'm sure the rest will at least be decent. I would also love to see Simpson tested on the international scene. Webb and Davies, for Wales, have both found tremendous success by sniping at the bases of rucks in the last year or so. Would love for Simpson to be tested too, to see if he can have the same results.

IMO there's also another facet to this. Players are partially products of their coaching environments; sometimes their poor performances are not entirely representative of their ability levels. I think the most clear case of it is Marler. Marler's reputation in the scrum has been destroyed; but it was almost certainly a coaching instruction that made him sideways scrummage. Is it fair he takes that reputation hit?

And I feel this is a more general thing. I've vented on the way England often fail to bring their wingers into the game and how this is to the detriment of May and Watson showing what they can do. Forwards taking ball statically and not going anywhere in the carry - does it make them bad carriers, or does it show them to be improperly coached? I feel that if the coaching itself is weak, you end up with latent stars. I feel that quite a number of Lancaster's players have another level to show us which they may never get the chance to do under Lancaster.

So yeah, I think we do have these players, or will have these players, but they are hidden underneath the current inadequacy of the English coaching structure.

Last edited:
Baxter's ruled himself out.

Brb committing arson.

Mallinder up for it though.

Mallinder bigging up Hartley and Burrell, Baxter bigging up Slade.

I really hope that whoever we pick next doesn't have massive club biases though.

Mallinder up for it though.

Mallinder bigging up Hartley and Burrell, Baxter bigging up Slade.

I really hope that whoever we pick next doesn't have massive club biases though.

Would you like your face to be one of the arson targets? I don't need further bad news now.

Would you like your face to be one of the arson targets? I don't need further bad news now.
Haha, don't shoot the messenger. :p

RFU like inside men in the top job though. Lancaster, ex-Saxons coach. Johnson, ex-England captain. Ashton and Robinson were England assistant coaches before head coaches.

Mallinder fits the bill as an ex Saxons and England age-grade coach.

Haha, don't shoot the messenger. :p

RFU like inside men in the top job though. Lancaster, ex-Saxons coach. Johnson, ex-England captain. Ashton and Robinson were England assistant coaches before head coaches.

Mallinder fits the bill as an ex Saxons and England age-grade coach.

Aye, the RFU needs to sort itself the fack out though. If it appoints an inside man I'll be dead unimpressed.

IMO, the problem is selection.

On caps: international rugby clearly hones players skills. The more rugby you play at international level, the more you challenge yourself, the quicker you will hit your potential. (It's like any pursuit; you don't get to be the best by grinding on Pidgeys.) So many of our players in our squad lacked caps. Some of this was because of the unavoidable situation that we had to invest in youth, some of this was because of the amount of waste that Lancaster had gone through, particularly in the back three and centre positions.

However, I do feel that there becomes a point where caps deliver diminishing returns. I don't think McCaw is the player he is because of the number of caps; I think that he has the number of caps because he is the player he is. Robshaw, with the same number of caps as McCaw, would not be anywhere near McCaw in ability. Or even Warburton for that matter. (Robshaw lacks the athleticism and skills to ever be that good.) Lancaster's fatal error was to invest so much time in some players with low skill ceilings relative to the international standard. He had a choice between Robshaw and Kvesic at the time and picked the short term solution. At this point, Kvesic is better than Robshaw anyway, but had Lancaster picked Kvesic several years ago, Kvesic would have ~30 caps to his name by now and would be even further along in his progression.

The reason we can't build a squad around guys like Robshaw is that Robshaw's ability levels are somewhere average on the international scene. I think of it like this - Robshaw is generally a 6/10 player. When he plays bad, he dips to 3/10 or 4/10. McCaw is generally (currently) an 8/10 player. When he plays bad, he dips to 6/10. As a result, McCaw is dependable to build a squad around; even if his form means he isn't the best option in New Zealand, his resting ability level means that he'll never be a bad player to have. Whereas Robshaw/Wood have shown on numerous occasions, despite the fact that they are perhaps the most experienced combination in the England squad, that they can be comprehensively outclassed. On the other hand, May-Watson-Brown, a very inexperienced unit, happened to be our most impressive unit this WC.

So what England needs to do is ditch these mediocre "experienced" players and pick the athletes of the future; players who, like McCaw, are good enough that it's rare they have a bad game.

A decent "core" for the next 4 years is: George, Launchbury, Itoje, Kvesic, Vunipola (x2), Slade, Joseph, Tuilagi, Watson. All players with what appears to be high skill ceilings. There are enough future stars there that some will make it, and I'm sure the rest will at least be decent. I would also love to see Simpson tested on the international scene. Webb and Davies, for Wales, have both found tremendous success by sniping at the bases of rucks in the last year or so. Would love for Simpson to be tested too, to see if he can have the same results.

IMO there's also another facet to this. Players are partially products of their coaching environments; sometimes their poor performances are not entirely representative of their ability levels. I think the most clear case of it is Marler. Marler's reputation in the scrum has been destroyed; but it was almost certainly a coaching instruction that made him sideways scrummage. Is it fair he takes that reputation hit?

And I feel this is a more general thing. I've vented on the way England often fail to bring their wingers into the game and how this is to the detriment of May and Watson showing what they can do. Forwards taking ball statically and not going anywhere in the carry - does it make them bad carriers, or does it show them to be improperly coached? I feel that if the coaching itself is weak, you end up with latent stars. I feel that quite a number of Lancaster's players have another level to show us which they may never get the chance to do under Lancaster.

So yeah, I think we do have these players, or will have these players, but they are hidden underneath the current inadequacy of the English coaching structure.

Great post and you have articulated a point that has made me want to scream out reading some of the press coverage.

Having lots of caps doesn't make you a great player; being a great player gets you lots of caps.

We seem to have this the wrong way around, aiming for caps rather than aiming for quality.

Consistency of selection will only bring it's proper benefit if you have selection right in the first place. Of course if you have good players playing well and getting results then you won't need to change and consistency and experience will naturally follow.

As SCW said in his article today; just focus on winning the next game. All the rest of it will take care of itself. We are not afterall talking about a development squad, we are talking about test match rugby.

Now it just so happens the best team England can field in the next couple of year also happens to be a very young one, so the stars are aligned if someone can come in and get selection right. We have a core of very young, high quality players suited to playing a fast paced, attacking dynamic game.

The door is open if only someone has the courage to walk through it.

http://offload.lovell-rugby.co.uk/project/toby-floods-rugby-world-cup-2015-diary-9/

Will Lancaster lose his job? Potentially. Mark Cueto has come out this week and said how upset he was post-2011 at some of his comments. He stated that we made the quarter finals and that this 'new' England team, in a far easier environment, has not. Should Lancaster live and die by the sword? Perhaps, but Stuart is an organiser, not a massive coach on the field. Most of the attack and defence is done by Andy Farrell, therefore I'd imagine there will be a full coach review once the tournament is done.

Interesting from Flood... tallies perfectly with what Vunipola is supposed to have said.

Latest posts