• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[England] Post-6N/Pre-RWC Player Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... his muscular presence around the park and imperious discipline would settle me down like a trough of ritalin.

yQi4he7.gif

Mike Ford changing his tune (reckon he's been told to wind his neck in?):

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/33951351
I agree with Dawson in that I still think he's a 6 instead of a 12. However Ford is probably thinking if England want to play him like that then it's fine for his plans. TBH I think at 12 he's a better choice than Burrell afree lat night. However on choices Slade needs to go ahead of him.

I agree with Dawson in that I still think he's a 6 instead of a 12. However Ford is probably thinking if England want to play him like that then it's fine for his plans. TBH I think at 12 he's a better choice than Burrell afree lat night. However on choices Slade needs to go ahead of him.

after last night i'd play them both next week and see how they go... then i'd probably look to take them both to the world cup - i really think they went well. I've said for ages i though Slade was a 12, and i said last year he should have gone to NZ instead of Cipriani - but people shouted me down.

just watched the highlights again, the attack pattern leading into May's try is superb... the deep ball players behind a wall, it's pure rugby league.

Last edited:
Think Slade and Burgess will both go. Hard to see Cipriani going now.

Still want to see the centre partnership I banged on for ages about:

9. Youngs
10. Ford
12. Slade
13. Joseph

Think it would cause havoc.

Anyway, backs aren't the issue it's the backrow and breakdown which concern me the most currently.

I thought it was dumb and contradicting of him saying "that it was like having a 6 at 12". We've had brad barritt there for the last 3 year and he has never said a word. He does speak a lot of sense but that was dumb about Burgess.

Wouldn't mind a squad of next week:

1) Corbs, 2) George, 3) Wilson
4) Launchbury, 5) Attwood
6) Vunipola, 7) Haskell, 8) Morgan
9) Care, 10) Ford
12) Slade, 13) Joesph
11) May, 14) Nowell, 15) Watson

16) Youngs, 17) Marler, 18) Brookes/Cole
19) Parling/Lawes, 20) Bugess
21) Wigglesworth, 22) Farrell, 23) Foden/Cips.

Wouldn't ever happen but would be interesting IMO.

Although would be to late I guess will end up being:

1) Crobs, 2) George, 3) Brookes/Wilson
4) Launchbury, 5) Attwood
6) Wood, 7) Haskell, 8) Morgan
9) Wigglesworth, 10) Ford
12) Barritt, 13) Joesph
11) May, 14) Watson, 15) Goode

16) Webber, 17) Vunipola, 18) Wilson/Cole
19) Parling, 20) Vunipola
21) Care, 22) Farrell, 23) Nowell

Which TBF is a decent team and closer to the main 23.

Why wouldn't you pick B.Youngs ? I thought he went well in the 6 nations.

The team I would pick is
1.Corbs 2.George 3.Cole
4.Parling 5.Launchbury
6.Wood 7.Robshaw 8.Vunipola
9.Youngs 10.Ford
11.Nowell 12.Burgess 13.Slade 14.Watson 15.Cips
16.Youngs 17.Vunipola 18.Wilson 19.Attwood
20.Morgan 21.Care 22.Farrell 23.May

Dawson has back Goode's inclusion on the BBC because apparently he 'does things that Mike Brown doesn't do'.

Other than dance sideways like a crab, what exactly are these thing I wonder?

He's a better playmaker, but that isn't now what we want our 15 to do. It was good when we had Farrell/Barritt/Tuilagi and we needed another playmaker, when he joins the line or stands at first receiver he is good. But now we have, Joseph/Twelvetrees or Farrell in the midfield and our 15s job has turned to strike running and running the ball back. He's just too slow, added to the fact his defence isn't good, he gets isolated and his playmaking isn't on the level of Le Roux.

Why wouldn't you pick B.Youngs ? I thought he went well in the 6 nations.

The team I would pick is
1.Corbs 2.George 3.Cole
4.Parling 5.Launchbury
6.Wood 7.Robshaw 8.Vunipola
9.Youngs 10.Ford
11.Nowell 12.Burgess 13.Slade 14.Watson 15.Cips
16.Youngs 17.Vunipola 18.Wilson 19.Attwood
20.Morgan 21.Care 22.Farrell 23.May

Mainly because I think Wigglesworth and care prob need more game time with Ford.

Youngs and ford have played a good amount of rugby together for England and Tigers.

Youngs would be my starter the match after.

He's a better playmaker, but that isn't now what we want our 15 to do. It was good when we had Farrell/Barritt/Tuilagi and we needed another playmaker, when he joins the line or stands at first receiver he is good. But now we have, Joseph/Twelvetrees or Farrell in the midfield and our 15s job has turned to strike running and running the ball back. He's just too slow, added to the fact his defence isn't good, he gets isolated and his playmaking isn't on the level of Le Roux.

True true. I am just confused as to why, if we want a different style of 25 from Brown in the squad, Foden or Pennell wouldn't be considered. Well, maybe Foden isn't that different...

Just musing aloud really!

I think it is interesting that we tend to be "against" certain players (Barritt, Burgess, Goode, to some extent Farrell for example) yet Lancaster and his team keep on picking them!!

I can only presume that, being close to them, they see something in them that we, as very interested bystanders, do not see or do not appreciate to the same extent.

Maybe we should not be denigrating the English players, at least until they have been discarded, and back Lancaster's judgement over our own. Or, as an alternative, start petitioning for his removal as being an idiot for not taking our views into account!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts