• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Six Nations thread

Twelvetrees' tendency to look like he's playing without any studs in is getting hugely frustrating.

Kyle is playing really well. Can't see him being introduced in a game vs Roberts and North though.

i thought Henry Thomas looked quite solid in the couple of scrums he had ! would like to see watson come in for nowell and eastmond on the bench next game.

i thought Henry Thomas looked quite solid in the couple of scrums he had ! would like to see watson come in for nowell and eastmond on the bench next game.

There is no need to drop Nowell it would be very harsh tbh . Don't change something that isn't broken if Yarde is back then I could understand that he's actually played for England before lol

I'd like to see Watson get a shot on the wing, he's on fire for Bath at the moment, and if Nowell deserved a shot pre-Six Nations (and he did) then Watson deserves one too.
Now that Ford is on the bench we no longer "need" Goode involved as 10 cover, so he can bugger off and we can have a good player there.
My first choice would be Eastmond, but if Watson was there (or Watson starting with Nowell at 23, for Italy) I'd still be very happy.

I don't think we'll see (m)any changes for the Wales game, though (barring injury). Probably won't for Italy either - Lancaster doesn't really like to tamper with a side once he's got his starters sorted for that tournament/series.

I think May just hasn't quite hit his stride. I can see him being a deadly runner once he has calmed down a bit. At the moment he looks like he has 10 cups of coffee before the game. He hasn't yet had much of a chance to run in situations where England were on the front foot. Most of the time he has got the ball it's been after getting a kick through, taking a high ball or in some way covering the back rather than at the end of England forward play. Brown can deal with this quite well but it doesn't seem to be Mays thing.

Mind you it's good to see the higher standard we expect from our backs. It wasn't that long ago that we simply accepted they couldn't produce anything and were ok with just forwards ball. Now we have backs that are actually dangerous for a change and the thing stifling our creativity is now the centre and 10.

He didn't play badly at all.

His erratic nature worries me somewhat though - I'm sure he'll calm down slightly - but he is inherently a bit manic.

Really? May was in most people's team of the weak last week and has done ok imo looked a lot sharper than Nowell. I'm surprised Nowell was picked in the first place tbh hasn't even scored try this season hardly outstanding form.
Like I said on the other thread May today made 4 breaks 5 gainline successes and 67 metres other than Brown that double the rest of our backs people expect him to do something every time he has the ball ... He is a talent and has the potential to be a match winner players like him are unique and if England use him right has the potential to unlock any defence in the world we need players like him if we are the beat the best teams in the world he's a match winner. I know Clive Woodward is a big fan of his and Lancaster who obviously know what their talking about.

oh hey just occurred to me England are a home win away from achieving the Triple Crown this year. A first since.......2003 !
Not being smart, just sayin.

Nowell has really impressed me one for the future, May is good too but like others if I had to drop one it would be May both are better than Ashton so lets move on

Really? May was in most people's team of the weak last week and has done ok imo looked a lot sharper than Nowell. I'm surprised Nowell was picked in the first place tbh hasn't even scored try this season hardly outstanding form.

How about the wingers on the team of the strong then ? *faaaaaaaaart*

I know you guys talk a lot on this thread, but could I ask for a quick reply/summary of the England Winger, and Center positions situation ?

Tuilagi likely to return for the last two games. How about Tuilagi+Burrell at midfield ? Or do some like 12T Tuilagi with Burrell off the bench for e.g. ...
And those two young wingers have shown some quality, though they are young and imperfect still. Keep one of them and add either Yarde or Wade ? What happens there ?
Soooooo much better without Ashton, you guys...England are soooo much better without him and the other Saracen at 15, and Mike Brown not on the wing soooo much better at his natural position. Backs have been considerably more threatening this year, even without Tuilagi. Much, much better from England.

Last edited:
Can't see Tuilagi being used this 6N. He's not yet back playing for his club, and he's been out so long that to throw him straight in to international rugby is madness and would just see him back out injured again.

People preferring Nowell to May...

Last game:
Nowell: 0/0 tackles, 0 clean breaks, 3 defenders beaten, 41 meters, 11 runs, 3 passes
May: 5/0 tackles, 2 clean breaks, 6 defenders beaten, 80 meters, 11 runs, 5 passes

vs. Scotland:
Nowell: 3/0 tackles, 1 clean break, 2 defenders beaten, 26 meters, 7 runs, 3 passes
May: 1/0 tackles, 2 clean breaks, 7 defenders beaten, 92 meters, 11 runs, 7 passes

Come on guys. I know stats aren't everything, but it's just simply one-sided at the minute...

May is simply better in most facets than Nowell. He's faster, better in the air, a better runner (Nowell runs far more direct, once taking a forward on at 5m out and being held in the choke, May probes for gaps and darts inside), is more inclined to make a pass and bring others into the game, both players are good in defence, but May is generally likelier to be in position in the kicking game, and as far as which one of them has looked more likely at scoring a try...

IMO it's May vs. Yarde vs. Wade for 2 spots. I don't doubt Nowell can be better, but I personally think that it's a little too soon for him to be a serious contender. A great prospect, but hard to hit your potential after half a season of professional rugby.

Last edited:
Can't see Tuilagi being used this 6N. He's not yet back playing for his club, and he's been out so long that to throw him straight in to international rugby is madness and would just see him back out injured again.

he has been out a long time...but Lancaster seems to think it's a possibility to include him back in and must have solid reasons for that. The risk of injury is always there, and he won't be at 100% but putting him on the bench may be a good idea, I don't know, I haven't seen the state he's in, but England sure ought to observe him in training camp and judge. He could replace, say, 12T and team up with Burrell as a big impact in the last 20 against Wales in stead of having fkng Goode warming the bench. And if that works out, maybe start him in Rome on the last weekend.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3820_9162986,00.html

Tuilagi is back for the Tigers this weekend.

Just so everyone is aware... they have two more Tuilagi's in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Tuilagi is back for the Tigers this weekend.

Just so everyone is aware... they have two more Tuilagi's in the pipeline.

Is that Brian (I think that's his name) and another I haven't heard of?

The academies of everywhere an older Tuilagi has played are stacked with mini crash ball centers. I think there are a couple a Perpignan as well.

Latest posts