• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Squad Announced

That's just the point, it's not surprising at all. We're used to this tripe and have seen the same **** from England since 2003, the worst thing that could have happened was England making it to the final last time around as it made these ***** feel justified in selecting the same **** players all the time. We saw against Ireland where England are really at, winning the 6N another false dawn.

Will be good to see Flutey in the team, even though he hasn't played rugby for 2 seasons (shoulder at brive, then just being made of glass this year) it will be good to see England with a centre who can A. Pass of both hands and B. Kick. Hape is just a horrible rugby player and Tindall whilst he has served England well in the past, doesn't have the pace to be a international 13 anymore!! The squad in general does look good though, dont agree with the selection of Armitage!! Alex Goode must be sat at home tearing his hair out wondering what he has to do to get picked!! Andy Saull as well, is like Crusaders Matt Todd, not massive but gets through so much work and just seems like a right handful!! Good footballer as well!

All the while we have amazing talent coming through (look at our u20s) and yet only a small percentage will make the international squad because there is no room for them to develop as players as all the spots are taken by guys who flew in 3 years ago and are now eligable to play.

Its killing English rugby! This is the reason we dont play with the passion like we did in 2003 and before!

THIS!

At the other end, those players who left here to go there leave holes in our game that are quickly filled by the likes of the U20s and other up and coming players. Who would bet against Gareth Anscome being a top contender for the AB's 10 Jersey by RWC2015?

Works for us!!

Last edited:
Whats funny about the U20 WC Final between England and New Zealand is that some of the NZ players will end up playing for the same country as the England players in a few years.

Whats funny about the U20 WC Final between England and New Zealand is that some of the NZ players will end up playing for the same country as the England players in a few years.

Like Martin Johnson.

Difference being Johnson was English who played for them while he was in NZ for a few years before returning home to play for England :p

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

"I think the English squad were busy this week making their World Cup winning advert and trying on their "Rugby World Cup Winners 2011" jerseys"

This was posted on another site. What crap. We know how it ended when we made the grand slam winners advert so I highly doubt we have our players making a world cup winners one...at least I hope not!

Any chance to see Wilkinson in the XV starting squad ? I've read an excellent article from an English newspaper yesterday (can't remember the name), where the guy was saying it's about time to bring Wilko back in the squad.

I don't know how English fans feel with this, but from what I've seen from both Flood (6N) and Wilko (Toulon), yes, Wilkinson definitely deserves to wear the N10 jersey.

He's not only the guy who made that drop goal against Australia 8 years ago, he's one of rugby most gifted fly half, and he never had the opportunity to prove how skilled he is after his move to Toulon.

I expect Wilko to be on the bench most of the time, maybe start a few of the "smaller" games (Romania, maybe Georgia too)

Though it depends how well the FHs perform in the warm up matches - there's three matches, and I expect Flood, Wilkinson and Hodgson will all get a decent amount of game time

But why on earth would you pick up Flood over Wilkinson ?

Flood is younger, quicker and very talented on his day but when he has a bad day we can bring wilko on to stable things up.

"He's younger" is not an argument :/

Have you seen how much he struggled against "strong" European nations (France, Ireland) during the 6N ?

I agree that Wilkos form for Toulon is very very good, he just doesn't tend to bring that to the England squad
Hopefully he gets a decent run out in the warm ups and does bring that form across, because as you said Floods confidence seems to has taken a knock and he can't handle the pressure anymore

Have you seen how much he struggled against "strong" European nations (France, Ireland) during the 6N ?
And Leinster in the HEC. Totally bottled it that day too.

I agree that Wilkos form for Toulon is very very good, he just doesn't tend to bring that to the England squad
Wilko is loved in Toulon primarily for his prolific kicking ratios (and his willingness to adopt to the French culture) as he is for the manner in which he gets the backline moving. Wilko is Wilko, the guy oozes class but I'm just not sure if he is the right outhalf to get that English backline moving. England made a decision last year to expand their game, I dont think Wilko (as good as he is) fits into that as well as the likes of Flood does.

I think its a matter of picking the right outhalf, not necessarily the best outhalf.

"I think the English squad were busy this week making their World Cup winning advert and trying on their "Rugby World Cup Winners 2011" jerseys"

This was posted on another site. What crap. We know how it ended when we made the grand slam winners advert so I highly doubt we have our players making a world cup winners one...at least I hope not!

Wow, totally missed the sarcasm in that one didn't you

if Flood and Youngs work like they do for leicester in the world cup. England are going to be on form in my opinion, however if they r lacking in confidence and dont work well together then wilko is there to use his magic and we also have care who can come on as well

Off topic but seeing as were discussing Wilko...

does anyone remember Jonnos reaction when he banged over that huge penalty against France in the 2010 six nations? Got up screaming pumping his fist.

Think Wilkinson should be used like O'Gara is - bring him off the bench if things start to go ***s up to kick the penalties/dropgoals and keep the opposition pinned in their own 22
Also is a fantastic defender so that helps

It's not fair for Wilko. You said it yourself, Flood hasn't been very good lately, whereas Wilkinson had one of the best season of his life with Toulon (tho he struggled a little bit during the last games).

English back line does need Wilkinson, because he's a solid defender as you said, and he might be able to do that tackle there when Hape/Tindal will fail. He probably has Europe best foot (with O'gara), and is often able to do the difference in 1v1.

You know that the weak point of England is in the centre. Having an outstanding fly half can help.

Latest posts