• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup 2017/18: Pool 3

I'm not sure if I'm being daft, but I really can't see anything conclusive on 25s, I'm not even that sure where his left leg is at that point. The closest thing to anything conclusive I can see is on 27s. His boot stops suddenly, so I'm pretty sure his heel struck the turf, but given the angle, perspective and poor resolution of the video, I couldn't say that I'm 100% sure that the contact was outside the field of play. If you were to ask me which I thought was more likely, try or no try, I would now say no try, but I'm not 100% on how the thought / logic process is meant to work here. By which I mean that I believe that the benefit of the doubt is meant to go with the attacking team, but don't know how that's quantified, i.e. do you have to be 100% sure something was wrong, 81%, 51%, e.t.c?

Sorry for the barely coherent ramble, you'd be amazed how long it took me to make this much sense!

@smartcooky input on the above would be appreciated, particularly one of those flowcharts that you guys get to clarify the thought process.

Having seen it, I think Furlong is close enough doubt in Poite's mind that the try would have been scored.

@smartcooky input on the above would be appreciated, particularly one of those flowcharts that you guys get to clarify the thought process.

Sorry for the very late reply. Its the Christmas season and I'm flat-out busy art work.

I cant see the video posted due to country restriction, but if are talking about a possible penalty try, then the protocol is this.

1. If foul play prevents a probable try from being scored, then a penalty try should be awarded, and a yellow or red card (depending on the circumstances) should be issued to the infringing player.

2. The referee does not second guess what the infringer might have done differently e.g., if the try was prevented due to a shoulder charge or a high tackle, the referee does NOT consider whether that player could have prevented the try with a legal tackle - he has infringed, and that is what the referee decides on.

3. If other defenders were in a position to prevent the try being scored, then the penalty try would not be awarded, however, if the foul play was in and of itself serous enough to warrant a card, that should still be issued.

Welcome to Dublin. Foreshadowing for tomorrow? You might not have heard down there in Devon but Dublin is a beautiful anti car environmentally positive metropolis now. No cars allowed. Did Exeter cram their squad into a van and take the ferry like it was a lads weekend? Wow maybe the wealth of the English clubs is overstated.
IMG-20171215-WA0000.jpg

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (189)
14. Fergus McFadden (159)
13. Garry Ringrose (41)
12. Robbie Henshaw (17)
11. Isa Nacewa (176) CAPTAIN
10. Johnny Sexton (140)
9. Luke McGrath (84)
1. Cian Healy (181)
2. Seán Cronin (140)
3. Tadhg Furlong (73)
4. Devin Toner (206)
5. Scott Fardy (9)
6. Seán O'Brien (113)
7. Josh van der Flier (55)
8. Jack Conan (62)

16. James Tracy (52)
17. Jack McGrath (120)
18. Andrew Porter (17)
19. James Ryan (6)
20. Dan Leavy (44)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (39)
22. Ross Byrne (36)
23. Jordan Larmour (9)

Referee: Pascal Gauzere (FRU)

Pure teasing us with Lowe. Good side, nice to be able to bring in internationals in Leavy and VdF when down Ruddock! Shows why Jordi is heading north, he might not even be next off the bus with Deegan's form.

Seems odd not to include James Löw in the squad. Ferg is a solid man for an away game, but they should go ultra attacking at home.

Lads Lowe can't play if JGP and Fardy do.
So they need a back up 9. And well the choice between Fardy and Lowe is easy.

Leinster don't want to overuse James Lowe which makes the decision easier. He's been playing constantly since February. If Leinster want him to be in good shape at the end of May, his game time needs to be managed now.

Yeah it makes sense now but come later in the competition the only way he's getting in is if McCarthy can supplant JGP.

Real pity that Adam Byrne isn't fit enough.

Yeah it makes sense now but come later in the competition the only way he's getting in is if McCarthy can supplant JGP.

Real pity that Adam Byrne isn't fit enough.
Exactly my point. And it was noted a few weeks ago Leinster made a big admin error in terms of not realising the 3 guys couldn't be in same squad.
Like they should have tried sign a guy like James Hart who we got.

Leinster don't want to overuse James Lowe which makes the decision easier. He's been playing constantly since February. If Leinster want him to be in good shape at the end of May, his game time needs to be managed now.
But Snoop it's more they actually can't use him until they are sure enough on McCarthy being #2 scrumhalf

Exactly my point. And it was noted a few weeks ago Leinster made a big admin error in terms of not realising the 3 guys couldn't be in same squad.
Like they should have tried sign a guy like James Hart who we got.
I'm sure they realised and calculated that it was worth bringing two top class players in having already had JGP on the books. They really shouldn't have tried to get Hart, he's no better than McCarthy who I imagine will be sub 9 if/when Lowe becomes a starter. JGP, Lowe and Fardy will all play loads of rugby. International periods will be when it's most difficult if McGrath takes the 21 shirt which I really think he should. A South African 9 would have been great but there's few enough of those about, and Cooney is better off up north.

I'm sure they realised and calculated that it was worth bringing two top class players in having already had JGP on the books. They really shouldn't have tried to get Hart, he's no better than McCarthy who I imagine will be sub 9 if/when Lowe becomes a starter. JGP, Lowe and Fardy will all play loads of rugby. International periods will be when it's most difficult if McGrath takes the 21 shirt which I really think he should. A South African 9 would have been great but there's few enough of those about, and Cooney is better off up north.
But it doing rounds they thought Lowe had an English passport and well got it wrong. That's from Leinster fans that story is coming.
Like I think it is a mistake that can be rectified but an error all same.
And nothing to do with game time on the 3 just rules are all 3 can't be in same European squad