• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"Everyone should donate organs"

S

St Helens RLFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6902519.stm

Well, this is something I've been saying for a while now. Unless there is good reason why you can't donate organs (i.e. your liver is pickled or something, or to a small extent religious views) then your organs should be taken from you after death.

Discuss.

Totally agree with the idea, although there's not much that could be said about it. Although I'd have a few things to say about people who refuse to donate organs after their death.

Depends on their reasons. If they have a valid one (religious beliefs but only Jehovah's Witnesses, that I know of, think this is wrong) then I suppose there's not a lot you can do or say.

I also have a few things to say about Jehovahs witnesses... Namely waking me up at 8.30am for 4 Saturdays running.

I'm not remotely religious, but I still don't like the idea of forcing everyone to hand over their insides.

Mabye I'll want to donate when I'm nearing death, but I don't want to be forced into it. They'd still be my organs whether I was dead or not.

Interestingly, why should religious groups get dispensation? Either everyone has to, or no one does. I don't think you can segregate society by allowing some people the freedom to make these kinds of choices while denying the same rights to others.

I don't think they're forcing everyone.
I think it's just the opposite to how it works now. Now you get the card and state you want your organs used when you're dead - if you say nothing they take nothing.
I 'm to believe that they'll do vice versa and if you don't say anything they'll take your organs if need be, but if you do voice your objection then they'll leave your organs alone.

I'm happy for them to rumage about inside of me when i'm dead.

There's a little bit of me that hope i'll go into someone's body and i can haunt the world from within their body. :D

My friends mum did a dissertation on organ donation a few months ago and i was part of a like discussion group thing for it.

personally i think its a great idea, no one is being forced into it, if you dont want to then you can just opt out.

which is a much better way of doing things as before, very few people new anything about organ donation and how to register etc. which means that potentially more lives will be saved.
don't know if i would though.... and its not the sort of topic you can bring up round the dinner table with your parents either :p

It's a good idea and like Matt says above, if you don't want to then fill in the card, better to donate my organs than be burried alive.

If you donate then there's alot less of you left over to send to the crematorium, hopefully it saves a couple of pounds on those kind of costs.

Talking about death, has anyone heard of the yes men? They are satirical activsits that infiltrate important conferences as speakers. Death and fuel was their latest target by suggesting that the oil crisis can be avoided if people allow their bodies to be turned into fuel!

have a look at the story here:

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/06...en_strike_.html

Misc-SpiderSense.jpg

Do you think they could re-use a donated organ, say for example, a heart, after the recipiant dies? It could be the key to immotality!

Definately the right way to go.

If anyone has serious objections they are more likely to go and register as a non donor than those who have no objections registering as a donor.

Good choice. Get on the case government. And while youre at it, sort out euthanasia and get 7s into the olympics.

Misc-SpiderSense.jpg

Do you think they could re-use a donated organ, say for example, a heart, after the recipiant dies? It could be the key to immotality! [/b]

Err... how does that create immortality?

And what about people who believe in bodily resurrection?

Misc-SpiderSense.jpg

Do you think they could re-use a donated organ, say for example, a heart, after the recipiant dies? It could be the key to immotality! [/b]
It all depends what the 'Best before' date on the heart. ;)

Your body belongs to you...but your organs belong to some kid with a crap heart, a man with **** kidneys on dialysis and your penis to the medical students to laugh at.

I think it's a good move. If you don't want your organs removed then you can get the card. I wouldn't mid my organs being donated but I haven't got a card yet. It's better that someone lives than someone dies because I forgot.

I cant see why anyone would not want to donate life to anyone else (you' help someone if they were dying) but with this system you've still got your choice.

I'm not remotely religious, but I still don't like the idea of forcing everyone to hand over their insides.

Mabye I'll want to donate when I'm nearing death, but I don't want to be forced into it. They'd still be my organs whether I was dead or not.

Interestingly, why should religious groups get dispensation? Either everyone has to, or no one does. I don't think you can segregate society by allowing some people the freedom to make these kinds of choices while denying the same rights to others. [/b]
Well, from a religious perspective some people feel (at least in Christianity) that when you are physically resurected at the coming of Christ, you need to be intact. Those object to cremation as well.
I'm not one of them...but I've always been scared to be an organ donor, just because I've heard these horrible stories of people on the cusp of life and death being harvested for their organs...I want the best chance to live, dammit...not to be seen as a farm for organs. However, I do see my complete illogicalness in this, and think that maybe I should tick off "yes" next time.

I also have a few things to say about Jehovahs witnesses... Namely waking me up at 8.30am for 4 Saturdays running. [/b]

So stop inviting them back to your Friday night orgies.

On organs: One of my cousins was harvested for organs after a fatal road accident. His family gave permission, but the most important thing is your personal freedom - if you decide that your organs shouldn't be used post mortem, then that's the decision. Making the decision for someone after death is a bit strange.

Plus I'm really sceptical about invasive medicine - I think it's an industry that preys on selfish fears to encourage unnecessary procedures. Get people to eat and exercise properly, and make it clear that substance abuse (including fast foods) will leave you having to find and fund your own medical care - demand for organs plummets.

Yeah sure, I will gladly give away my organs if someone will pay me a generous amount in advance.

Latest posts