• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ex-Blue Bulls 'went on axe-murdering rampage'

Disagree. Things like the holocaust, the great leap forward or the inflicted famine on the Ukraine weren't bad? Rampant accepted racism? Ridiculous levels of sexism, ageism and other forms of prejudice allowed to happen? Higher levels of poverty, starvation and illness?

On a more down to earth level, crime rates in the developed world have stayed pretty consistant for the last few decades. In the US for example, crime rates have been in decline since the 80's. Fact is, more crimes are probably reported these days than ever before.

Still, disagree with you too on this one sorry. Crime rates are not declining. Also, a fair few of those incidents from the past you spoke of? Firstly, I never said they weren't bad. I hate that style of arguing, those things were thrust in from no-where and aren't really applicable to the argument. They are on a more governmental level and are not really in the category of community crime that we are discussing. Illness? I'm not sure that fit an argument about crimes at all! :lol:

If the 100% verifiable perpetrators were found, i would be pushing for state punishment, not personal vengeance. This is where we disagree, both sides have their ups and downs.

In this case, i would only support (or not condemn) this mans actions if he was 99% sure and had proof to back it up. But if he didn't, i think he shouldn't be out on the streets with an axe getting revenge.

More or less, I'll agree with most of that. Still, the state has no real personal loss from this crime, so state punishment won't help the victims as much, just in my view.

Apparently the bloke in question had been stalking the people for some time. Can't but help imagining that Liam Neeson scene in the film Taken where he speaks to the people that captured his daughter.

<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B0hZ1KKpV54?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B0hZ1KKpV54?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="510"></embed></object>

Saw that film two days ago. Quality. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this story....

Still, disagree with you too on this one sorry. Crime rates are not declining. Also, a fair few of those incidents from the past you spoke of? Firstly, I never said they weren't bad. I hate that style of arguing, those things were thrust in from no-where and aren't really applicable to the argument. They are on a more governmental level and are not really in the category of community crime that we are discussing. Illness? I'm not sure that fit an argument about crimes at all! :lol:

You didn't say crime. You said society is as bad as it ever has been. This is wrong. Very, very wrong.

Anyway, I still disagree on the crime issue. A lot more time and effort is devoted to reporting crime than ever has been before. With that in mind of course things are going to look worse. People are also taking a harder look at what is okay and what isn't. For example, here in Ireland it used to be perfectly acceptable for a man to rape his wife, even if they were separated. That was under state law. We've all heard about the atrocious acts carried out by the Catholic church in the course of the 20th century. These don't seem to be happening anymore. We can talk about the spread of drugs culture in Ireland, but the addicts have merely replaced drunks and violent drug gangs have replaced the IRA and are in general far less violent.

If anything I'd say society has never been as good over here. It's worth remembering that people always look at the past with a bit of romanticism and nostalgia so that's worth bearing in mind when you say society was better back in the day.

If anything I'd say society has never been as good over here. It's worth remembering that people always look at the past with a bit of romanticism and nostalgia so that's worth bearing in mind when you say society was better back in the day.

Urgh ... are you a history teacher? :lol:

You didn't say crime. You said society is as bad as it ever has been. This is wrong. Very, very wrong.

Anyway, I still disagree on the crime issue. A lot more time and effort is devoted to reporting crime than ever has been before. With that in mind of course things are going to look worse. People are also taking a harder look at what is okay and what isn't. For example, here in Ireland it used to be perfectly acceptable for a man to rape his wife, even if they were separated. That was under state law. We've all heard about the atrocious acts carried out by the Catholic church in the course of the 20th century. These don't seem to be happening anymore. We can talk about the spread of drugs culture in Ireland, but the addicts have merely replaced drunks and violent drug gangs have replaced the IRA and are in general far less violent.

I think I could take it as a given that in a thread about a crime, where every other post was talking about their reaction to a crime and how things in relation to crimes could be handled better that a particular quote about society would relate to......(drum roll please)....surprise, surprise!......why it's.....crimes!

My favourite other bit was, "This is wrong. Very, very wrong". I thought you were going to spank someone. :lol:

I think I could take it as a given that in a thread about a crime, where every other post was talking about their reaction to a crime and how things in relation to crimes could be handled better that a particular quote about society would relate to......(drum roll please)....surprise, surprise!......why it's.....crimes!

My favourite other bit was, "This is wrong. Very, very wrong". I thought you were going to spank someone. :lol:

Oddly enough, when I see someone say 'society is getting worse' I think he means 'society as a whole is getting worse' and not 'there's more crime these days and he can only mean crime surely'. You made a fairly general comment mate. If if was a thread about education and you said the same, I'd still think you meant that society in general was getting worse because........drum roll....... that's what you said.

Oddly enough, when I see someone say 'society is getting worse' I think he means 'society as a whole is getting worse' and not 'there's more crime these days and he can only mean crime surely'. You made a fairly general comment mate. If if was a thread about education and you said the same, I'd still think you meant that society in general was getting worse because........drum roll....... that's what you said.

See when I see someone say "society is getting worse", I stop, think and take a look at what they are talking about. If it's about football hooliganism, then I think that the person is referring to society is getting worse in relation to that topic. Even if I had thought that they meant society as a whole (or that society getting worse also included illness in society in a crime thread :lol: ) , I'd have to accept that I should've asked what they meant prior to deciding what they meant. Questions can be good before conclusions, my very wise and learned friend.

Mind you, what would I know, I'm someone who's been proven wrong before. :lol:

Man you guys should stick to rugby...Agree with Feicarsinn, we probably live in the safest times, at least in the developped world. There's a reason why life expectancy used to be 40 yrs old you know...

And "technicalities" as you call them, are used mostly used by the people who have power/money, just like in the old days that you cherish. I haven't seen any banker brought to court yet, let alone convicted.

Last edited:
Man you guys should stick to rugby...Agree with Feicarsinn, we probably live in the safest times, at least in the developped world. There's a reason why life expectancy used to be 40 yrs old you know...

And "technicalities" as you call them, are used mostly used by the people who have power/money, just like in the old days that you cherish. I haven't seen any banker brought to court yet, let alone convicted.

We can all agree to disagree, but there isn't anything said by yourself or Feicarsinn that hasn't got just as many holes in it as anything I've said. Technicalities are often used by criminals in many countries who can get huge amounts of legal aid, unlike what was available in the "good old days I cherish" and that's happened to a grandmother killer who murdered a lovely old asian woman in Auckland and it happened this week. Our government pays out many millions a year to have criminals defended extremely well, so they can't argue that the state has better resources than them and they get all that where a working person can't because they're poor and a working person is above a certain income threshold. The whole "good old days I cherish" type comment is nothing more than slapping an old-fashioned sounding generalism on my argument and calling it silly.

I think the wisest thing will be to beat both you guys to saying something with some logic which overwhelms the argument and say "let's get back on topic", because neither party's convincing the other.

Id await further news before we go anywhere. Only hope it was not a random murder.

Super Rugby winner gets five year jail sentence

Bulls Super 14 Rugby winner Bees Roux has been sentenced to five years in jail for beating a Police Officer to death but the sentence has been wholly suspended.

Bees_Roux(1).jpg

Roux entered a plea bargain after beating Metro Police sergeant Ntshimane Mogale to death earlier in August 2010.

The court and family accepted his explanation and apology.

Roux was found guilty and was instructed to pay R750 000 to the family of his victim.

The judge is reported to have phoned the victim's wife to see if she was happy with the sentence.

Not sure what to think about this

Latest posts