• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter Chiefs thread

It's a shame I can't have Exeter as my English club anymore now that they're known for harbouring traitors. Hopefully Christ, Daf, Joe and a few of the other boys at the west county Welsh academy can show him the door and I can support my beloved Exeter again.

Be a real shame if the rumour about Slade being in talks with Stade is true, who replaces him?

He's been a big part of everything we've done this season, with all the young talent coming through we needed some experience to keep it going.

We need a couple of signings next season IMO, mainly 10. But do we have a 13 prospect?

Be a real shame if the rumour about Slade being in talks with Stade is true, who replaces him?

He's been a big part of everything we've done this season, with all the young talent coming through we needed some experience to keep it going.

We need a couple of signings next season IMO, mainly 10. But do we have a 13 prospect?
I think Skinner is the long term project at 13, always have. So yes, a 10 signing looks obvious and needed. I'm actually quite gutted we couldn't tempt Atkinson as I think he would have suited our style and new direction really well. Baxter knows best. It appears quite a few teams will be trying to emulate the success of this rebuild.

I think the club will go all out for Slade though. With Gray going too we certainly have the capacity to spend if that's the plan. England duty and a 2 year contract would be lovely.

I think Skinner is the long term project at 13, always have. So yes, a 10 signing looks obvious and needed. I'm actually quite gutted we couldn't tempt Atkinson as I think he would have suited our style and new direction really well. Baxter knows best. It appears quite a few teams will be trying to emulate the success of this rebuild.

I think the club will go all out for Slade though. With Gray going too we certainly have the capacity to spend if that's the plan. England duty and a 2 year contract would be lovely.
Skinner to 13 really? Ive never seen him play there? Nor do i thinks he is good enpugh to fill Slades position. I see him as a good prem 10 and nothing more.

With all who have left we are well below the cap, id prefer to develop but 1 or 2 big signings could take us to the next level, im just not sure who. Hapoy with our pack, SH IC and back 3. We need a 10/13 IMO

Im just not sure what type of players will suit us. A 10 who can kick would be a start though, Slades done some great kicks but he isnt a great kicker.

Great to see Capstick return from injury yesterday. Been out since October 2022. Looks like he's packed on a lot of muscle mass. Gonna be some serious competition for back row spots with him, Roots, Vermeulen, Fisilau, Vincent and Tshiunza.

I think Wimbush is the hope at 13. Looks more like a 12 to me, but I think 13 is his preference which kind of makes sense given he's quick enough to play on the wing.

Slade to miss start of Premiership season after surgery - https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/articles/c0xjx7qdwewo

3 - 4 month recovery after surgery on his shoulder. It's a real shame as that back line does not have alot of experience and he was key last season. Least who ever starts at 13, likely Zack Wimbush, will get alot of time pre season to settle as first choice, although I'm not sold on him tbh. Not sure who else we have.

I think you're right and we'll see a Hawkins/Wimbush pairing or possibly Rigg/Hawkins as he's played games at 10 and has the kicking/distributing game but rarely uses it for us as he seems to just be a crash ball 12. The new lad from NZ seems like an exciting prospect too.

The experience on the pitch is what I'm
concerned about. Without Yeandle on the pitch it'll probably have to be Daff Jenkins which makes sense but he needs some old heads around him.

I back Skinner this year. Kicking and leadership. I just really want Wyatt to come back swinging along with the rest of our injured chiefs.

The Slade operation just seems to have been written and agreed in his contract renewal. Eyes on Lions and World Cup redemption.

Would not complain at that tbh, even if he's at 22 covering the inexperienced lads. Really surprised we havnt made a couple of signings in the backs tbh.we punched above our weight alot of the time last season but without Slades boot a couple of them wins could be losses and we end with much less points.

Our team is good talented youngsters in alot of places who all buy in leading to good performances buy I think we need just abit of stardust brought in.

I agree, theoretically we have the spending room to get someone but I #believeinBaxter so we'll see. Got a feeling our scrum might be handy this year. Did you see how big WGC looks in the Marines video? The neck on him...

I agree, theoretically we have the spending room to get someone but I #believeinBaxter so we'll see. Got a feeling our scrum might be handy this year. Did you see how big WGC looks in the Marines video? The neck on him...
WGC? And I think baxter will keep us on track and progressing but with the cap and the team we have a big signing(the right signing) could step us up.

Jonathan Davies is still unattached and would be brilliant experienced cover for you lot.

Will Goodrick-Clarke
Thanks totally forgot that's who we signed. Always a good solid player for Lirish. I think he will do well for us.

I wonder how our defence will evolve this season as last season it was good rush defence and scramble defence was also strong but did sometimes get ripped apart especially when we didn't have slade at 13.