• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

F1 Racing

Have the new regs worked and there is more overtaking or is it still DRS trains where it's easier to stay behind, but not easier to overtake?

If so then possibly the risk/reward ratio is not worth it.

Have the new regs worked and there is more overtaking or is it still DRS trains where it's easier to stay behind, but not easier to overtake?

If so then possibly the risk/reward ratio is not worth it.

I would be surprised if stats show a sizeable upturn in overtaking. I am always very cautious about the 'exciting new dawn' of new regs, but this season is so frustrating with Ferrari being unreliable, Perez not being allowed to race and Mercedes being 0.5 to 1 sec off the pace.

Not a reason to bin the regs, just a grumble.

I think fundamentally open wheel racing is always limited in overtakes as drivers have to be much more careful, any contact can take them out of the race. They can mess about with the regs all the want but I think as long as you have flimsy parts on the car such as the front wing or exposed tyres, the racing will always be cautious. Closed wheel cars that can take a knock are what you need if you really want regular overtaking and F1 is never going to have that.

It's a bit of a catch 22, whatever makes a car really fast around a track is also what will make it bad at racing other similar cars around a track. Short of gimmicks like DRS and batteries to temporarily make the cars have uneven performance, you simply can't complete most overtakes due to how little the time difference is between 2 cars from the start of a straight to the end of the braking zone.

What about like Formula E where you have a limited amount of battery/DRS and you have to choose where to use it rather than just having it constantly?

first of all I don't like the new regs and they spent so much of last season gaslighting people into saying they would be good for the sport.
Dirty air and slipstream are the same thing just ones at corners and the other is at straights. So by reducing the dirty air they made it harder for cars to overtake each other on straights using the slipstream. I knew that before the season and I don't science at all. With how fast and big cars are and the fact they are using tracks that were designed in the 50s and redesigned in the 80s I just don't if there is room for overtaking.

The size of the cars now is crazy, make them smaller, they'll punch a smaller hole in the air, surely that would help?

What about like Formula E where you have a limited amount of battery/DRS and you have to choose where to use it rather than just having it constantly?
Yeah, the simplest thing to me is make DRS more powerful, but really limit usage (3-5 per race).

The problem with battery is that the whole purpose of hybrid tech is energy efficiency, not extra oomph. So it's like investing in technological dodo. Plus Touring Cars have tried to use hybrid power this year and the impact is invisible (admittedly using road cars).

Ferrari announcing that they're focusing on the 2023 car isn't too promising for any fans on these boards. RB to stroll off into the distance mid and late season.

Canada this week, my favourite GP, should be a good one for Ferrari if they finish!

Proof Lewis is the GOAT of my generation, played tons of this as a child, must of hurt him to write Genesis

Me and my Brother sunk hours into Nigel Mansell F1 on the Amiga,

Had this weird cardboard circle codex(?) thing that you rotated to match up the styles of helmets and then it'd give you a password to enter at the start that'd skip you to whatever race you'd been on previously
How far technology has come, ay!

Edit:
That thing in the bottom left,
Imagine two primary school kids trying to work that out
s-l500.jpg

Me and my Brother sunk hours into Nigel Mansell F1 on the Amiga,

Had this weird cardboard circle codex(?) thing that you rotated to match up the styles of helmets and then it'd give you a password to enter at the start that'd skip you to whatever race you'd been on previously
How far technology has come, ay!

Edit:
That thing in the bottom left,
Imagine two primary school kids trying to work that out
s-l500.jpg
That kind of decoder was common in tons of things as early form copyright protection to stop exchanging of discs. The other one was random words from the manual.

montreal is a beautiful city and I really should make an effort to go to the race. it's lovely this time of year.

but yeah nothing will happen. got about 40 minutes until leaders tee off.

13 laps til kmag overtakes mick and 40 laps til verstappen's engine fails

How many screwed up pitstops today?
The pit times are universally terrible, so many 3.5s in otherwise "normal" stops.

RB engine is just so much more powerful than Ferrari.

Last edited:
Woeful stuff from Ferrari. Surely go goodness the recent contract extension. for Sainz didn't include the right for him to fight for position up to and beyond the last pit stop?

Woeful stuff from Ferrari. Surely go goodness the recent contract extension. for Sainz didn't include the right for him to fight for position up to and beyond the last pit stop?
I'm a bit perplexed by it all. I've no qualms not allowing them to fight for position with Hamilton rearing down on them and there already being an incident between teammates. But then the incompetence to leave Leclerc on hards and ruin his race. Had a chance to put him back within an Asses roar of the championship and blew it. Verstappen would be sweating if Silverstone looked like a turning point in the championship again.

Ferrari's tactical incompetence is so frustrating to watch, even as someone who isn't a Ferrari fan. They are managing to sabotage their own drivers more than they are assisting them.

Also those protestors who got on the track, it was so lucky that red flag came out when it did. WTF were they thinking? You get hit by an F1 car that is either death or life changing injury. Immensely idiotic thing to do.

I'm a bit perplexed by it all. I've no qualms not allowing them to fight for position with Hamilton rearing down on them and there already being an incident between teammates. But then the incompetence to leave Leclerc on hards and ruin his race. Had a chance to put him back within an Asses roar of the championship and blew it. Verstappen would be sweating if Silverstone looked like a turning point in the championship again.
Well Leclerc wasn't that much quicker when released by the Sainz pitstop. The real issue was their lack of making a decision to stop also blew the decision to pit LeClerc under safety car but the SC blew a probable Hamilton win anyway.

A little surprised under the last couple of years Perez didn't crop a penalty for running Hamilton wide to retake the place.

Main take away the flip on Zhou was very reminiscent on what use to happen with ground effect cars in the past and why they got banned. Don't really want to see stuff like that again.

Latest posts