• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

FIFA vs PES

I played Fifa on original xbox over the weekend, and have to say I was very very impressed - a real step up from all past versions, very smooth and with incredibly convincing ball physics.

My one concern is that the 360 version is being made from the ground up, so quality in the regular xbox version doesn't necessarily guarantee quality in the 360 version...

I am thinking of giving FIFA a go this year over Pro Evo, but I am a bit concerned by the reports of dodgy keepers and crap defending. What's the difficulty like on the highest levels?

f*** these lil fifa fan boys trying to make FIFA look the goods

doctoring audio n ****

why the hell would one do that

are you sure that EA havent recorded that audio from a real match into the game...coz that is the X360 version, which isnt released yet?

anywho i played world cup again last night - african qualifyers - DROGBA IS A MACHINE!!!!

and i scored with Dindane from a few metres out side the box with a volley into the top left corner - pure class, and the longest goal i have scored in world cup when the keeper wasnt on the ground from defending a previous snap.

I played Fifa on original xbox over the weekend, and have to say I was very very impressed - a real step up from all past versions, very smooth and with incredibly convincing ball physics.

My one concern is that the 360 version is being made from the ground up, so quality in the regular xbox version doesn't necessarily guarantee quality in the 360 version...
[/b]

yeah Toups i heard on current gen its the best FIFA of all time

but the X360 version could be as crap Rugby 2004......

EA got one thing right this year in 2007.........Tiger Woods 2007 on X360.........getting great reviews

Yeah, I am concerned that the 360 version could still end up a pile of sh*t...

That said, the footage I've seen on IGN looks pretty good so am really looking forward to it still... haven't heard anything to put me off...

... yet

I am thinking of giving FIFA a go this year over Pro Evo, but I am a bit concerned by the reports of dodgy keepers and crap defending. What's the difficulty like on the highest levels?
[/b]

Found it pretty easy to be honest, I've found on the highest difficulty that the opposition tend to score more unlikely goals (somewhat suspect) rather then play any better overall......

Goalies are pretty average, they will one minute pull off a wonderful save and the next miss a sitter - the worst thing is when the AI controlled keeper very often refuses to rush out/go down on a loose ball (even if it is right in front of them) gifting your striker easy tap ins.......defenders are easy beaten on the fringes allowing far too many easy crossing opportunities.

Still enjoying Manager mode at present but games are beginning to have somewhat of a sameness about them (same types of goals being scored over and over for instance) and I wonder how long I will continue to get much out of it.

Does the AI cheat NZL Fan?

Like SIDHE did with RL - made you worse and the opposition nigh on invincible?

Does the AI cheat NZL Fan?

Like SIDHE did with RL - made you worse and the opposition nigh on invincible?
[/b]

Hard to pin down exactly, but on the highest level it does feel that the occasional "even up' occurs.......

great

i gotto wait another year to get a proper soccer game on next gen

it is just shocking

Well I went to the viseo store today to hire out Fifa 07 on the "old" xbox just to see what CA Iverson was going on about as I actually thought he was referring to Fifa 06 and had mistyped.

All I can say is OMG!!!!!!!

CAI....all I can say is....mate you are spot on!!!!!

The original xbox version of Fifa 07 is truly the BOMB!!! And I have only played it for an hour coming to post.

I don't know what to make of the 360 version considering they have to rebuild from scratch....but the original Xbox version made me shake my head in amazement.

Fifa 07 brought back memories of the feelings ISS used to give me...the total control feelings....that sort of satisfaction. :cheers:

For a second there I thought I was playing the true heir of the ISS series. A game where I would have hoped ISS had ended up. It almost felt like it was really an update years later from ISS rather than the next instalment of Fifa.

Firstly the ball dynamics are much better than Fifa have ever had before. In fact the ball bounces around more like PES than Fifa.....which is why I thought it was more a carry on of PES than Fifa. The speed of the game and the way the ball bounces are almost lifelike it is incredible!! Really a joy to control.
It does not go full out fast like some racing car game but instead the speed is true tu life. you can go super fast if you do the risky knock the ball on move....which is pretty much like real life indeed.

Now I played this game on a 29 inch rather than my widescreen. I set the camera to the usual broadcast view with the zoom fully out and a bit of height as this is the way I can see most of the field as well as the fact that it more enjoyable like this. I did not expect too much at all playing on a normal screen. However what I experienced was amazing!!! You can still feel you have great vision on 4:3 as this broadcast view is honestly amazing....very similar to older broadcast views from Fifa. Yet at the same time it incorporated some of the old ISS techniques in the way it showed what was happening a bit upfield. So in a sense it was an amalgamation of the two rival ***les better camera techniques. The field did not feel too big or too small on this view...nor did the players feel too close or too far away. It felt just right!! You sensed that you knew where your players were and did not have to pass in faith like other camera angles.

So I started to play a bit more and the first thing I noticed was the ACCURACY of the passing. It was not totally automatic where you could blindly press pass forever and it would go straight to anyone so that was cool. It was more "feel" related and I have to say the feel of it was so spot on, especially in the lob passes. You could pick out a guy anywhere on the filed and irrespective of how many people wee standing between you and him you could lob it over them and accurately find them with the length that you wanted...the feel with the holding down for length had been tuned perfectly. This also went for passes along the ground when you wanted to go to the second or third guy and miss people out. After while I was telling my brother..."look I will lob it to that guy there" and would get it all the time. In fact you could lob it a little short or a little long to the reciever depending on where you wanted the receiver to run into...it was more by your feel than by AI automated guessing. Suddenly I felt like I could finally do the pases that world class players do when they lob it anywhere to players within 80 metres and put it on their feet. Fantastic. So now my game is no longer fancy short passes all the time but rather a mixture of missing guys out and passing longer in the air.

The commentary is as always impressive but thats just a licensing thing. Well actually the commentary is better than versions before :lol: ..best I have heard ever!

My favourite the "special" moves has been changed a bit but it actually is now way better. One two step is done according to how the step goes...so you move the right stick left then right. The pace control is done nicely and it is good they have not dropped this....also the one touch is now touch sensitive so you can determine whether your one touch is gonna be a big one or a small one......very good for moving into a direction yet now too far forward into it. I started to make Christian Ronaldo do exactly what he does in real life by doing the step over then the left feint and go right move followed by the backheel touch the reverse direction. Mate I am loving this!!!!

Really like the tonnes of new animations that have been added in. I especially like watching the goalkeepers and the way they dive all over the place and get up, etc...great animations they have :cheers:

All in all after just one hour of play I have to say I am very impressed and it looks like Fifa may have taken some techniques off PES....especially some of the ideas from the old ISS.....then used some of their own successful techniques and combined it together. I could not help feeling that this game was in part a ISS game...it just had that feel to it.

If they make the Fifa 07 on 360 like this....it will be very hard to beat. My only gripe with it is the fact that it still has the old 8 directional movements rather than the true analogue direction like Rugby 2006 has.

I'd agree with all of the above comments. The ball definitely feels 'detatched' from the players now, and that leads to a much more 'free' feeling, that you are really in control. The animation is absolutely spot on too. I think it is probably the best football game I have ever played - at least taking PES 5 to penalties...

ive been playing 07 demo on the 360 for abit now and absolutely love it, really wasnt a fan in first few games and then got a feel for it, and the freedom, 360 degree movement and passing and absolutely love it now. just cant wait for the full version, to play as newcastle, and not in wembley cos it seems all grey and dreary! (also had to turn the colour up on my tv cos thought it felt quite washed out initially)
ive posted a quite a few posts on evoweb about my views on 07 on 360 but dont really want to try and write it all again so may paste them at some point :)

also.........havent been around for a while. wheres my reputation gone!? :'(!

paddyknight way to spill the beans mate

keep it coming i need more info on this FIFA07

The Truth said its good, and PES with no team name edit could very well lose my sale.

If u have played the Xbox version of Fifa07, how does it stack up against the X360 demo - thats the golden question, coz the Xbox version or PS2 version is near flawless like PES for once.

It's funny how people see different things when playing the same game.....after over a week playing FIFA 07 (PS2) I reckon one of the least impressive aspects is the ball dynamics.

The goalies in FIFA 07 are the real let down though - they are so s..l......o............w to go for a rolling ball, allowing your strikers to get to the ball first for easy goals.

Anyhow regarding the Xbox 360 PES - wouldn't expect too much as I said earlier - this from evoweb,

"Well, it's finally happened, Pro Evo has brought itself up inline with VHS in home entertainment terms in that it now supports widescreen! It's a requirement on Xbox 360 to support such modes and PES is all the better for it.

The graphics are also very nice making the PS2 version look cartoon-like especially with things like pitch textures. Even in standard definition everything looks smoother and more detailed. HD adds another layer of sharpness and unsurprisingly detail to the mix leaving you with an undoubtedly nice looking game of football. Certain players' appearances have also been changed for the better compared to the PS2.

You also get the benefit if that's the right word of seeing not only the referee on the pitch during gameplay but also his assistants as they mock your offside runs with eagle-eyed precision.

It should be noted at this point that there are very slight framerate issues during gameplay if things get very crowded onscreen. This was apparent in the wide camera mode but is also noticeable when lining up corners and free kicks. It wasn't enough to put me off the gameplay but is annoying nonetheless for “Next-gen.â€

The game also plays the same as the PS2 version, which is a good thing. It all feels slightly different due to the difference in controllers but at least the shoulder buttons are roughly in the right place compared to the original Xbox.

Now onto the bad part. It's safe to say that the Xbox 360 version is definitely lacking compared to the features available in the PS2 version. Please note that these are what I've observed with a retail copy of the game and don't take into account the fact that the game may be autoupdated through the Xbox Live system.

Right, here's a list of what's out compared to PS2:

Edit mode â€" You can only edit players themselves and even that's limited. Forget about changing club names/formations/tactics/badges/boots/shirt names/player appearances/stadium names/transfers/national squads and anything else that doesn't fall under the “Edit Player†heading.

Online play â€" While I haven't been able to test this due to there being no one else on Live, it would appear to be back to one on one exhibition matches that can be ranked or unranked. Ignore the extra online game mode advances made by the PS2 version too.

The international challenge mode and random selection match mentioned above do not make it.

There are no unlocks, instead you get the Xbox 360 achievements where your gamerscore will be increased for winning cups/leagues and playing ranked online matches.

You cannot save replays. I've checked and double checked this and made sure my gamer profile is signed in. Even though the manual mentions pressing X to save, there is no button prompt onscreen and no button saves a replay when you're watching it. This is further confirmed by the lack of anywhere in the front-end resembling a gallery where you may view such saved clips. It's a shame as replays run for longer than “current-gen†versions and look spangly.

There are only eight stadiums compared to the PS2's thirty four.

Then you get on to the minor things that make a difference and have been removed for no apparent reason. I'm talking about being able to use left/right when you're choosing your lineup before a match to quickly switch from your first team to your subs and back, scrolling all the way up and down is the only way. I'm talking about being able to switch on kit select for tournaments.

I'll stop there but suffice to say if all you want from PES is the nicest most realistic graphics and more accessible online play via Xbox Live then you're in the right place. You may also be a gamerscorewhore in which case there are the usual thousand points up for grabs here.

The End
To end on a positive note there are plenty of things to get stuck into in this new version of PES. While FIFA's gameplay is necessarily coming on nicely it doesn't match the feel of football as PES does. Of course PES has issues and the features cut out of the Xbox 360 version may be enough to put you off but there is plenty of footballing enjoyment to be had with any version".

Well i feel like boycotting soccer all up

They farkin feed me with World cup births and a booming A-league then farking bash me back down with shite next gen games

i agree the game within the 90 mins is what counts, but sometimes if the gameplay is somewhat simlilar to a competitor with more bells n whistles, u'd want to go for the latter

looks like i'll have to rent both before i decide

both FIFA07 and PES on X360 SHOULD NOT SELL FOR OVER $50.00, with this crap

8 stadiums?? - no team name edit?? - get screwed

Latest posts