• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

General Concussion thread

Interesting. It's certainly no surprise to a rugby follower that playing rugby increases the risk. Outside the three mentioned in the article, Joost and Lou Gehrig, what other high profile athletes have suffered with it? I would have assumed that the contact nature of rugby had something to do with the increased risk, not just the oxygen depravation. It seems strange that there's not more high profile cases in non-contact aerobic sport if any strenuous exercise is the risk, but maybe I just don't know about the cases that there have been. Failing that, I wonder if there's something about the stop / start nature of rugby that makes it higher risk or maybe the combination of strength and stamina required to play.

TLDR: it seems like rugby's higher risk than other sports and that exercise = risk is a generalisation.

Good, I've long felt that armpit is the more sensible height - it gives a little lleeway before being dangerous
Its only age grade rugby which is a shame but does mean the next generation of players are being taught to go lower as a default.

Also talk of banning dipping before contact for the ball carrier. Not sure how easy that is to police

Its only age grade rugby which is a shame but does mean the next generation of players are being taught to go lower as a default.
Not something I follow closely, where has the idea been trailed recently? The last I remember hearing about it was when the trial in the B&I Cup was stopped prematurely as the data appeared to show that it was causing an increase in injuries.

Interesting article from the Grauniad.

Very interesting. If the data doesn't support what is being implemented then WR need to reassess. At least this article uses data and evidence to support it, rather than "I lost two players for the the play offs, it's not fair".

Would be good to know if the brain recovers and how long it takes and comparison to other activities.

Would be interested to know if headguards make any difference to sub concussive incidents.

Would be good to know if the brain recovers and how long it takes and comparison to other activities.

Would be interested to know if headguards make any difference to sub concussive incidents.

As I understand it headguards do not make any difference to sub concussive incidents.

2017 was my last confirmed concussion and I had one before that for sure but there may have been more, I might have had one since in March but I'm not sure. I said in 2017 that if I got another one I'd give up, I was starting to think that might be excessive because I love playing right now. This has put me back on that train of thought, I remember the 2003 RWC final like it was yesterday and one of the players doesn't. Rugby isn't worth that.

The legal case behind this will be fascinating if it's not settled early, definitely on the side of the players regardless of the effect it has on the game to be honest.

1̶0̶9̶4̶ 1 Day(s) without concussion.

That's three know, was knocked out cold in a game yesterday, shoulder charge to head job, no penalty somehow...

My symptoms aren't bad. Mild headache, was able to work today with little difficulty. Immediately after it I threw up and was dazed but apart from the actual contact I remember everything. I won't hang up the boots but this is the last or second last concussion I'll ever get on a rugby pitch.

1̶0̶9̶4̶ 1 Day(s) without concussion.

That's three know, was knocked out cold in a game yesterday, shoulder charge to head job, no penalty somehow...

My symptoms aren't bad. Mild headache, was able to work today with little difficulty. Immediately after it I threw up and was dazed but apart from the actual contact I remember everything. I won't hang up the boots but this is the last or second last concussion I'll ever get on a rugby pitch
Sorry misread the start and thought you were still counting.

Sorry to hear that, rest up and take your time. Hope your symptoms don't worsen.

Yeh getting knocked out is 100000000000000000000000000000x more scary than breaking bones (Well outside the neck/spine) IMO.

I pretty much quit after my second

Latest posts