General EPCR Discussion

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Let's be blunt, to this point the EPCR has done a terrible job of taking over the reigns from the ERC of being European rugby's premier professional body. Their website was updated for the first time in over two months yesterday, with news coming out that the host ground for the final will be announced on Monday, with the game set for the 1st/2nd of May. Aside from the absolute neglegence in terms of keeping the public informed, we should note that this date falls smack in the middle of the busiest period of the football season, effectively ruling out the possibility of having the game in Italy or, looking to the future, new territories such as Germany or Spain.

Their twitter feed has been equally quiet in the past 8 weeks.

The issue of sponsorship has been raised before. On the 20th of June it was announced that Heineken was to be one of five prospective major corporate sponsors of the tournament, paying out £4 per annum, leading to a total figure of £20 million which would roughly double the previous sponsorship deal the ERC had in place for the Heineken Cup. As of early August, no other sponsor have been confirmed, leaving the ERCP with approximately 6 million less than the ERC was bringing in in sponsorship revenue. Seeing as the Pro 12 clubs have been guarenteed an annual payment of â'¬20 million between them for the first 5 years of the competition regardless of income, this may prove to be a major problem for the men at the top.

Serious issues still remain regarding television rights, particularly in France, where rights will go for a fraction of the costs that was paid by Canal+ for the Top 14 rights.

So, with all of this in mind, can the ECRP justify their twin statements that their competitions would deliver what the fans wanted and that they would be more competent than the union-run ERC with regards running a club competition? At this point in the game my opinion is no. But let's get some general discussion in place before the season starts.

Some sources:
http://www.epcrugby.com/eng/news/28886.php
https://twitter.com/EPCRugby
http://www.espn.co.uk/european-rugby-champions-cup-2014-15/rugby/story/234317.html
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-champions-cup-revamped-competition-7466597

Nothing like shouting them down before there have started, maybe give them a chance, nothings happening at the mo, even the season has not started so what info could they put on their site, talk about being impatient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! H cup had their chance and they screwed it new ball game now lets wait and see before we start setting up lynching parties!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like shouting them down before there have started, maybe give them a chance, nothings happening at the mo, even the season has not started so what info could they put on their site, talk about being impatient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! H cup had their chance and they screwed it new ball game now lets wait and see before we start setting up lynching parties!!!!!!!!!!!!

But they have started. Are we supposed to wait till the season starts for them to get commercial partners and TV deals in place? As far as I know no professional competition is run like that. How long are we supposed to give them to get their other 4 sponsors in place? I don't agree with the statement that the 'Heineken Cup screwed their chance' (after all, it was a respected, prestigious and incredibly successful competition) but out of interest, how do you think the running of the tournament has been improved to this point by the switch in management? Aside from the reduction of the number of teams (which it has been reported that the ERC were reluctantly willing to accept) I don't see any areas where progress has been made.

Issues I'd have are:
- They said ERC aren't professional yet they haven't done much better
- As Gaston mentioned they're making it hard on fans for travel
- It still worries me how viable it will be financially and until sponsors are signed up and it's done I'd be suspicious

Also Feic I agree with your views on HEC being a respected successful competition. I think it's improved by fact we've to qualify. But let's remember most of ERC staff are drafted in to try and get this running smoothly

Last edited:
Firstly qualification was long overdue and no way should any competition of this standard have automatic qualification.
The no. of teams taking part has been reduced which is also a good thing.
The monies distributed to the clubs now is fair, before it was not, another change for the good.
The sponsorships will fall in place i'm sure of that, but give them time the first match is not before the weekend of the 18th Oct.
The guys running it were always going to be from the ERC or some of them, that was obvious to most.
There is no comparison on Tele rights between Canal, the TOP 14 and the ECC comp + there is A2 France who will be in the mix as well
Just to put things straight the Canal+ deal for the TOP 14 is only for the next year as Beinsport appealed agaist the decision and it goes back for tender from 2016 the amount may not change but the deal at the moment is only one year, and why would Canal+ pay great amounts of money for only a few games, if you did not know France coverage of the H Cup was shared by Canal and A2 France
If i had a whinge the only one is we are still waiting for the matches to be published so i cannot organise my travel, but the H Cup were much the same the matches were always published after the season started and it looks like we may get them on Tueday, which is another improvement.
Because things may not be a quick as all would like it does not mean they are not doing their jobs and as far as Twitter goes "i could not give a monkies ar** about that" dont do twitter and will probably be dead before i start. Sorry.if the comp is a massive let down ok critisism is due, but give them a chance before you blow them away.
I read the Wales online and talk about whinging, poor little sh*** have to qualify!!!! something that the Premiership and TOP 14 have been doing since day 1 so why not them!!!!!

Last edited:
Gaston while I agree with a lot of what you say I'd have to say it's very poor and embarrassing that they've let it go this long without nothing being done stinks of it being unprofessional. And I'd disagree in effect this isn't a new competition, it's a progression on the HEC. It's not as if their having to establish it from ground and regardless of how it goes after today. Up until now it's been a complete F up

everyone is entitled to their opinions or these forums would not exist, if they dont get their act together well yes critisism is an option although F up maybe initially a bit strong, but each to their own!!!!!!!!!!!

[h=1]Inaugural EPCR finals set for London[/h]http://www.epcrugby.com/eng/news/28894.php
The ERC final was fixed for Milan. What was that about EPCR wanting to grow the sport from it's traditional roots?

The ERC final was fixed for Milan. What was that about EPCR wanting to grow the sport from it's traditional roots?

100% agree. Why not keep it as it was. Only venues considered were here and Paris and here was selected as it'd generate more revenue. Tickets are more expensive too than ERC

100% agree. Why not keep it as it was. Only venues considered were here and Paris and here was selected as it'd generate more revenue. Tickets are more expensive too than ERC

Hardly surprising seeing as they have bugger all sponsors. It's what the fans want though.

Yeah, it's not great considering how much they harped on about growing the game.
They're just going for the safe bet, which is understandable considering how much they've cocked up wrt sponsors, tv deals in various countries, and bumping back the schedule release date a few times.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to get excited about this new competition. Perhaps it is because, IMO, they changed something which worked well. Then again the change of the Tri Nations worked well.

But with increase in prices in already hard times you'll hurt game. It's not fans faults they can't organise **** up in brewery.

Like every change.....give it a chance and, if it does not work, then kick the ****e out of them but will you be prepared to pay them a compliment if it actually works?

Like every change.....give it a chance and, if it does not work, then kick the ****e out of them but will you be prepared to pay them a compliment if it actually works?

If it works better than the Heineken Cup. But that's a massive ask. They're certainly haven't won me over on the organizational side of things.

Last edited:
I'll give it a chance and hope it works out. So far the signs aren't good. Securing sponsorship and TV rights has been a shambles, they've gone back to the old boys club by awarding Twickers the final and I now need two subscriptions to see a competition when previously I needed one. It's hitting me, a fan, in the pocket.

It's not about giving a chance. I'm all for the success of it as I love european rugby but the manner in which they removed ERC and guaranteed it'd be better yet struggling to get it right is what grates me.

I'll give it a chance and hope it works out. So far the signs aren't good. Securing sponsorship and TV rights has been a shambles, they've gone back to the old boys club by awarding Twickers the final and I now need two subscriptions to see a competition when previously I needed one. It's hitting me, a fan, in the pocket.

Read elsewhere that only London and Paris bid for the final and London won because Twickenham doesn't need renting.

While more time does need to be given before judging, it is undeniably so far so bad, particularly given the big song and dance about how ECR weren't maximising commercial prospects.

Read elsewhere that only London and Paris bid for the final and London won because Twickenham doesn't need renting.

While more time does need to be given before judging, it is undeniably so far so bad, particularly given the big song and dance about how ECR weren't maximising commercial prospects.
it was also reported though that Milan were told not to apply as they haven't a sufficent "rugby stadium" for the first final. And they wanted to keep both finals in same city.

Latest posts