• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guiness Premiership News

Originally posted by All_Blacks_Hurricanes_Lions_Fan@Sep 4 2005, 05:36 PM
When is Worcester playing and can someone please post the score as soon as its over. Not very happy to see the Saints getting their asses handed to them, but then again they did play Leicester.
3pm over here. not sure what time it is in NZ.

Sky Tracker here? can keep you up to date.

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lee robinson over! 19-16 to Briz! not long left!

Well bristol win....

I dunno how they did it but there was so many mistakes made by both teams....

Originally posted by getofmeland@Sep 5 2005, 01:52 AM
Well bristol win....

I dunno how they did it but there was so many mistakes made by both teams....
Woah! A good start!

Who played well and badly for both teams?
How were Briz's forwards?
Tries any good?

Stone me, I never saw that coming, especially against Bath.

Fair play to them.

Bath try was fantastic....
Bristol were very static in the first half in their attack, but in the second half they did play with a lot of passion....
Bath were not kicking at all well apart from Malone's drop goal...
Bristol had a good kicking game....
But there were too many basic mistakes like forward passes, dropped passes etc... by both sides...
But all in all a good match to watch....

Originally posted by getofmeland@Sep 5 2005, 01:59 AM
Bath try was fantastic....
Bristol were very static in the first half in their attack, but in the second half they did play with a lot of passion....
Bath were not kicking at all well apart from Malone's drop goal...
Bristol had a good kicking game....
But there were too many basic mistakes like forward passes, dropped passes etc... by both sides...
But all in all a good match to watch....
Cool, well good luck this season. We meet again quite soon in the Powergen at the Rec.

Hopefully things will get better, sound like both teams were rusty. With Lima, Lemi and a few others yet to arrive, we should be in better stead. This win sets up us nicely, although it is still early days...

What happened to the Saints? Totally bossed up front from all the reports I've heard.

Oh dear.
<

<

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Sep 5 2005, 09:00 AM
What happened to the Saints? Totally bossed up front from all the reports I've heard.

Oh dear.
<

<
<

The start to the season has confused me. LI getting their first bonus point from four tries since they were introduced, Saints not even managing a point and Bristol beating Bath(we are making a habit of it now
<
)!

Cheekbone fracture rules Balding out for eight weeks
Gloucester skipper Adam Balding will have surgery this week on the cheek bone he fractured against Worcester Warriors on Sunday.

Bath wait on Best and Maddock
Bath Rugby are waiting this evening on the results of scans to both Joe Maddock and Lee Best's hamstring injuries.

Purdy hit by 20-stitch head wound
Lock Martin Purdy required 20 stitches to the head wound he suffered in Wasps' Premiership victory over Saracens.

From www.bathrugby.com

FINAU WINGS IN TO EASE BATH'S INJURY WORRIES

finau2.jpg

Bath Rugby have moved quickly to counter growing injury concerns in the back three by today signing experienced international winger/centre Salesi Finau on a deal that, once the formality of IRB clearance has been granted, will see the former Tongan captain stay at the Rec until at least the end of the current season.

With both Joe Maddock and Lee Best picking up injuries at the Memorial Stadium on Sunday and Alex Crockett, David Bory and Michael Stephenson finding their way back from injury, the decision was made to bring in the big back, who has impressed with the Llanelli Scarlets since joining the club from Warrington RL back in November 1998.

“We have a number of injuries out wide at the moment,†explained head coach John Connolly. “Both Lee Best and Joe Maddock have picked up injuries which could keep them out for a few weeks, whilst David Bory is still a week away from full fitness and Alex Crockett and Michael Stephenson are continuing their rehabilitation. Therefore, it was necessary to bring in another winger and we are delighted that we have been able to sign someone of Salesi’s quality and experience. He had a great record in Wales with the Scarlets, for whom he made a big impact, and we are looking forward to seeing him in action here.â€

Finau, 31, who notched up some 203 appearances for Llanelli and the Llanelli Scarlets, scored nine tries in seven seasons at Stradey Park and is regarded as a powerhouse player who has the rare ability to break the first tackle.

Talking to www.bathrugby.com, the winger said that he was looking forward to a fresh challenge with Bath Rugby. “It has all come about very quickly for me,†he said. “I have had a great time over the past seven years with the Scarlets in Wales, but the opportunity of playing in the Guinness Premiership with Bath Rugby is a fantastic one. Bath Rugby is one of the top clubs in England with a proud tradition and I feel that everything is in place to ensure that the club has a successful season and I am looking forward to making a contribution to that.â€

There are still a handful of tickets available for Bath Rugby’s match against Northampton Saints on Saturday (2.15pm) through the Bath Rugby Ticket Office on 0871 721 1865.

finau1.jpg

Salesi Finau
Born: 05/05/1973
Height: 6’
Weight: 17st
Former clubs: Llanelli Scarlets, Llanelli, Warrington, Canberra Raiders
International Honours: Dual code international for Tonga. Captain of the Union team. 11 caps Tonga RU.

Apparently, that stat is tries scored for the Llanelli Scarlets "region", as opposed to just Llanelli as was, so is a little misleading.

Originally posted by robbinho@Sep 10 2005, 01:28 AM
Apparently, that stat is tries scored for the Llanelli Scarlets "region", as opposed to just Llanelli as was, so is a little misleading.
So how many seasons is that, two?

Cruel injury blow for Rees
Wasps' two-try hero Tom Rees was taken to hospital after sustaining a possible broken ankle during the 29-29 draw with Leicester but departed for his x-rays with a ringing endorsement from director of rugby Ian McGeechan.

Wilkinson has appendix operation
Newcastle Falcons fly half Jonny Wilkinson will miss today's Guinness Premiership match against Bristol at Kingston Park after having his appendix removed.

Tigers ban Moody for four weeks
Leicester have suspended their England flanker Lewis Moody for four weeks for striking an opponent in the Guinness A League match against Leeds on Monday.

Short sidelined for three months
Bath forward Peter Short is set to undergo knee surgery which will keep him sidelined for up to three months.

Hickey/Little cited for charging
Worcester's Drew Hickey and Saracens' Nicky Little have both been cited for "dangerous charging".

Moody has had another 2 weeks slapped on his ban after being found guilty by an RFU panel in Coventry but he will be available for the Tigers HEC match against Clermont Auvrgne and England's Autumn internationals.

From BBC Sport

Andrew hits out at contracts plan

Andrew believes central contracts would ruin the game
Newcastle Falcons director of rugby, Rob Andrew, has criticised the idea of introducing central contracts for England's top Premiership players.
"I don't understand the central contracts debate because it won't work in rugby union," he said.

"This could be the worst decision the RFU ever makes if it decides to press on with it, because it means clubs just won't bother producing England players.

"If the RFU are looking for a fight, then they've picked the wrong time."

The Rugby Football Union believes central contracts would help the England's chances of retaining the World Cup in 2007 by reducing the number of games the top stars play.

But Andrew has vowed that Premiership clubs would stick together on the issue and there would only be one winner.

"What the RFU will have to realise is that if a player signs a central contract they will then not be allowed to play in the Premiership. You can't have your cake and eat it," he said.

"England is not like other countries where the Union actually controls the club sides, pulling the purse strings.

The RFU don't appear to understand the strength of feeling within the clubs

In Ireland, for example, if the IRFU tell Leinster that Brian O'Driscoll can only play in a set number of Celtic League matches, then Leinster have no choice but to comply because they are owned by the IRFU.

"You can't do that in England, and the clubs will take an extremely strong line on this issue.

Andrew also warned that central contracts would also result in an influx of South Africans or Pacific Islanders who would be available to clubs all season.

"It's easy to get those guys to come to England because the Guinness Premiership is the best league in the world, and it's growing every year," added Andrew.

"It's already starting to happen to a degree if you look at sides like Northampton when we played them last weekend, but it will only get worse if central contracts are brought in."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, it is probably too late to introduce central contracts, but it has been proven to work and also, saying the clubs won't produce english players, the rules can be made to make it so i.e. min number of English players strting.

northamptonsaints.co.uk
Saints secure early release for All Black Sam Harding

Sam_Harding.jpg

Harding in action for his former club Canterbury Crusaders

Northampton Saints have today managed to secure the early release of Canterbury Crusaders flanker Sam Harding. The former All Black will arrive at Franklin’s Gardens on Monday. Harding, the great-nephew of former Wales and British Lions captain Rowe Harding, has signed a two-year deal with the club.

Director of rugby Budge Pountney said: “We have been very fortunate to secure an earlier than expected release for Sam. We look forward to welcoming him to our squad and to the Gardens. He will be a very useful edition to our back-row, as he is comfortable playing in all three positions.â€

Harding will get an early introduction to life at Franklin’s Gardens when he, and the rest of the squad, attends the Wanderers’ local derby against Leicester’s second team on Monday night â€" KO 7.30pm.

Saints are also on the hunt for a lock, to replace the injured James Percival, and to sign this player ahead of the European Challenge Cup registration deadline on September 29.

------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Get In! Now for bringing in Bernard early!

Latest posts