• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12 2014/15: Round 1

Do you personally though think Cardiff can finish in the top four?

Looking at the squad, they have a good shout. Still remains to be seen how everything will fit under Hammett though. As others have said, defence still looked quite poor today, and the front 5 were quite sloppy, plus I wasn't too impressed by Vosawai.
That said, Patchell looked outstanding, definitely one of the most promising players in Wales if not the UK. If he can keep this up and stay injury free he's got a good shout at being part of the AI match day squads. If Anscombe wants that 10 shirt when he arrives, he better expect a hard fight.

Looking at the squad, they have a good shout. Still remains to be seen how everything will fit under Hammett though. As others have said, defence still looked quite poor today, and the front 5 were quite sloppy, plus I wasn't too impressed by Vosawai.
That said, Patchell looked outstanding, definitely one of the most promising players in Wales if not the UK. If he can keep this up and stay injury free he's got a good shout at being part of the AI match day squads. If Anscombe wants that 10 shirt when he arrives, he better expect a hard fight.
Not what the Chief made out on S4C. Seems they think Patchell is a 12 / 15 when Anscombe comes.

What are Cardiff like at the minute? Can't catch the game and I have to say I was quite surprised to see a few sky pundits put them for top 4 this season.. somebody, can't remember who, even put the Dragons for top as well.

I was in a pub when I kind of only half saw it but the only one I remember having Cardiff in their top 4 was Scott Quinnell and well.....

Not what the Chief made out on S4C. Seems they think Patchell is a 12 / 15 when Anscombe comes.

Yeah I heard them talking about that. The way the Blues dropped off when Patchell got shifted to Fullback for that blood injury kinda proved that it sounds a bit daft. Suppose either way, you can't leave Patchell out of the team.
Have heard from NZers that Anscombe is a better FB than no.10, so still remains to see what happens.

Do you personally though think Cardiff can finish in the top four?

In short, no. I think there are too many new faces in the team and in the backroom. Cardiff just haven't been able to put a new effective system into place since Dai Young left and have had ridiculously inexperienced/poor coaches since. I also still question the impact of the Chief at the moment as defence coach. A big personality for Pontypridd and a great motivator, but he hasn't done anything noticeable since he took post.

Considering the signings in the pack, I would expect Cardiff to be a contender for 6th, maybe 5th if they can maintain some home form.

Latest posts