• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro14 2017-2018

There was no bid from the WRU anyway, they chose to stage a concert in Cardiff instead. Scotland and Italy would be a lot more difficult to fill for the first 14 team version of the competition which I imagine was taken into consideration when trying to impress South Africans!

Murrayfield got 34,000 two years ago. There is going to be egg on the face if the SA sides come in and dominate. It'd be crazier than the Siberian derby we had in Edinburgh in May!

The final is to be in Dublin for the second year running. I don't know what factors go on behind the scenes when making these decisions but that seems totally off to me.

The Welsh, Scots and Italians consistently don't turn up in big numbers.

Murrayfield got 34,000 two years ago. There is going to be egg on the face if the SA sides come in and dominate. It'd be crazier than the Siberian derby we had in Edinburgh in May!

Only because it was a Connacht v Leinster final.

If it had been, say, Scarlets vs. Ospreys, then you might have got 15,000.

[edit: when was the last time there wasn't at least 1 Irish side in the final?]

I know it reflects poorly on the league. Indeed, I didn't think they should be doing this "final venue" thing at all. Top team in the league gets the advantage of playing at "home", although now with the conferences I'm not sure if that is viable.

If local (SA) bookmakers are to believed;

1. Leinster 2.75
  2. Munster 4.00
  3. Scarlets 6.00
  4. Cheetahs 8.00
  5. Ulster 12.00
  6. Glasgow Warriors 13.00
  7. Ospreys 13.00
  8. Southern Kings 41.00
  9. Cardiff Blues 51.00
  10. Connacht 67.00
  11. Edinburgh 201.00
  12. Dragons 501.00
  13. Benetton Treviso 1001.00
  14. Zebre 1001.00

https://www.sportingbet.co.za/sports-rugby-union/guinness-pro14-grand-final-winner/1-13-79664.html

Reasonable to me, although personally I'd have Kings and Cheetahs a wee bit closer and swap Ulster and Glasgow. Glasgow will struggle to be a top 6 side over the course of a season because of the appalling depth issues of last year. But if they can sneak into the playoffs they'll have their internationals and would be fairly deadly. Treviso should be 800/1 at worst!

If local (SA) bookmakers are to believed;

1. Leinster 2.75
  2. Munster 4.00
  3. Scarlets 6.00
  4. Cheetahs 8.00
  5. Ulster 12.00
  6. Glasgow Warriors 13.00
  7. Ospreys 13.00
  8. Southern Kings 41.00
  9. Cardiff Blues 51.00
  10. Connacht 67.00
  11. Edinburgh 201.00
  12. Dragons 501.00
  13. Benetton Treviso 1001.00
  14. Zebre 1001.00

https://www.sportingbet.co.za/sports-rugby-union/guinness-pro14-grand-final-winner/1-13-79664.html

Glasgow look the best value by far. It should be tight between themselves and Munster in that conference. I'm not sure about the Cheetahs. I hope they do well but I suspect they'll find it tough going after christmas when the lack of a real break will catch up to them.

Leinster have made some top quality additions to their squad. James Lowe, Scott Fardy are both quality and James Ryan looks like the new Paul O'Connell of Irish rugby albeit he plays a different style. They might be thereabout in Europe again which is why I'd stay away from backing them.

Scarlets won the league in style last season but can they keep it going this season. We've seen how the previous winners never got going the season after and they've lost a few quality players like Liam Williams though Leigh Halfpenny is a good addition.

I'm hoping Treviso will make some sort of effort this season but they're still bottom 3 contenders.

Theres a group of unpredictable teams which I'd put Ospreys, Ulster, Cheetahs, Kings, Connacht, Cardiff and Edinburgh in.

I wouldn't look outside this year's semi finalists to be honest. O's at that price is mad! I'm going to shock the world and predict Leinster! Injuries won't hurt us here like they will in Europe.

Latest posts