• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"What? Treviso won?! That makes us the most competitive league in the world!" Guinness Pro 14: R4

We're not here to veni and vidi, we're here to vici #theitalianjob
@The Alpha Bro Amico, why do you not wear the proud flag of our nation. Have you become confused between orange and the red which surely symbolises the blood of our fallen celtic enemies?

Last edited:
looking at the zebre score like

TcnBOnM.gif

82 points in two games touring South Africa!? Like I said, offensive juggernaut. :p

Michael Bradley turned CSM Bucharest from whipping boys to semi-finalists in a handful of games in Romania then does this to Zebre after losing arguably his best player in Padovani? He is regarded as poor in Edinburgh circles but maybe coaches can improve over time.

I've spent days of my life watching Zebra capitulate then can't see any of this glory.

Deon Davids must be about the most frustrated man in rugby. He creates the Kings from the ashes over two years then sees his work burnt down and has to start from square one.

Edinburgh were very limited against Scarlets who realised if you defend Kinghorn then there is very little else to trouble you (dubious looking red card to my mind for Rizzo; but irrelevant to the result). The Cockerill honeymoon is over.

Thank god for Scarlets! I think they navigated that match pretty well. Edinburgh defence was solid at first, spreading wide with the wingers up flat in the defensive line, and this contained the Scarlets' wide attacking game. But it was great to see the players able to think on their feet, adapt, and use a combination of forwards carrying back against the grain close to the ruck (Ken Owens' burst a great example), or some clever kicking in behind with Kinghorn left a lot of ground to cover. From a Welsh supporter, this was refreshing to see because Wales never have a plan-B, and the players never seem able to adapt on the field. Ospreys take note as well, because it's the exact opposite of what you did yesterday!

The red card certainly helped, and arguably the Scarlets didn't capitalise as possibly expected, but a bonus point win is certainly job done against a much improved Edinburgh side. Re. the red card, 100% deserved imo. There had already been 3 HIA's in the match, highlighting that you don't want the risks of concussions added to by reckless cheap-shots to the head! Look it wasn't the worst offense ever, but imo it was intentional, off the ball, and resulted in a shoulder/upper arm connecting square with Gareth Davies' head. Considering the crack-down on contact with the head, it was a pretty blatant red.

I think at the moment both the Pumas and the Griquas is a stronger team than the Kings. Kings really need some huge investment to get them going again.

Thank god for Scarlets! I think they navigated that match pretty well. Edinburgh defence was solid at first, spreading wide with the wingers up flat in the defensive line, and this contained the Scarlets' wide attacking game. But it was great to see the players able to think on their feet, adapt, and use a combination of forwards carrying back against the grain close to the ruck (Ken Owens' burst a great example), or some clever kicking in behind with Kinghorn left a lot of ground to cover. From a Welsh supporter, this was refreshing to see because Wales never have a plan-B, and the players never seem able to adapt on the field. Ospreys take note as well, because it's the exact opposite of what you did yesterday!

The red card certainly helped, and arguably the Scarlets didn't capitalise as possibly expected, but a bonus point win is certainly job done against a much improved Edinburgh side. Re. the red card, 100% deserved imo. There had already been 3 HIA's in the match, highlighting that you don't want the risks of concussions added to by reckless cheap-shots to the head! Look it wasn't the worst offense ever, but imo it was intentional, off the ball, and resulted in a shoulder/upper arm connecting square with Gareth Davies' head. Considering the crack-down on contact with the head, it was a pretty blatant red.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus on Rizzo, so I take that back. Whether or not I thought Davies milked it isn't relevant.

Pretty abysmal comments by Cockerill about the referee (excluding the Rizzo offence). Not a fan of that at all and would happily see the Pro14 introduce sanctions on coaches and players mouthing off as long as there is a mechanism to challenge decisions behind closed doors.

https://theoffsideline.com/2017/09/23/pro14-scarlets-28-8-edinburgh/

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus on Rizzo, so I take that back. Whether or not I thought Davies milked it isn't relevant.

Pretty abysmal comments by Cockerill about the referee (excluding the Rizzo offence). Not a fan of that at all and would happily see the Pro14 introduce sanctions on coaches and players mouthing off as long as there is a mechanism to challenge decisions behind closed doors.

https://theoffsideline.com/2017/09/23/pro14-scarlets-28-8-edinburgh/

Yeah, Cockerill should probably review these things before commenting to the press as well.

The second try could have been viewed as crossing, but I don't think the Edinburgh prop did enough to convince Lacey. He barely moved, and as such there was no significant contact with the dummy runner, Ken Owens. So I fully understand why Lacey gave the try.

For the third try, the slow motion replay clearly showed that McNicholl offloaded the ball before he was in touch. Didn't see a clear forward pass either.

I think Cockers needs to pick better times to have a moan about the ref, because that game was lost regardless.

Was able to enjoy breakfast watching Zebre. Decent contest, slightly better crowd than the Leinster game. Much more ambitious play from Zebre than Treviso so they will get egg on their face more. Lovely try from a lineout. Huge step up in Italian fitness levels which can only help internationally.

Kings very scrappy defensively in particular although they fought well from 40-60mins. 798 metres made by Zebre. Kings will need reinforcements to have any hope of winning games outside of the international windows. I don't know if they'd have an option to pick Currie Cup players from other sides at the end of that competition?

Also, I see there is full match commentary of the Scarlets game in English (Welsh accent) despite it being on S4C. Is there an English language option on S4C that I have missed?

You get the English commentary through the red button, or online.
Of course, finding it online, you need to speak Welsh to navigate the site.

You get the English commentary through the red button, or online.
Of course, finding it online, you need to speak Welsh to navigate the site.

As a veteran of navigating Romanian rugby sites I am up for the challenge with my friend Google Translate. Thanks for the info.

Typical sports fans flocking to the big money sides at the sniff of the start of a sporting dynasty. Rather than the gazillionaires of Benneton you should look at the bankrupt charms of Zebre. Complete with an Irish fullback and coach. A side so exclusive they don't even have a TRF icon or a fanbase. Get in on the ground floor.

Typical sports fans flocking to the big money sides at the sniff of the start of a sporting dynasty. Rather than the gazillionaires of Benneton you should look at the bankrupt charms of Zebre. Complete with an Irish fullback and coach. A side so exclusive they don't even have a TRF icon or a fanbase. Get in on the ground floor.
Mate I'm so next level I still support Aironi

I'm used to affluence here in D4, I also jumped before Groundhog so I'll support the new European Powerhouses guilt free thanks very much. #Ilovefashion #IloveTreviso #EventhoughthatsnottheirnameanymoreduetocorporatebullshitbutImokaywiththatbecausemoneywinsrugby #<3Benetton

Seems the SARU have given the Pro12 a kick up the backside to make sure highlights are out by Sunday evenings. Cracker of a match winning kick by Jarrod Evans for the Blues in windy Connacht.

I'm hoping that the shift of name to Benneton is not just corporate desperation, but possibly an attempt to regionalise the franchise rather than focus on the small city of Treviso. The crowd smashed through the 3000 barrier this week, perhaps filled with Irish glory seekers. :p

Kings got 4k, Cheetahs 7k. Not great but not horrific given their respective circumstances. Two more tasty fixtures against conference rivals at home upcoming for the Cheetahs.

Latest posts