• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gym

Did chest/triceps today - finally staring to get in to a routine/get my lifts back to where they were before the end of Uni :lol:

Another 2km row today - AAARRRGGGHHH. Anyone got some new lungs for me? Fupping hell.

My forms a lot better than it was, but my lift numbers are crappy due to it :lol:
Messed my back up about a year ago and had to keep stopping/starting lifting, and my hip flexibility completely went (which didn't help the back problems) - getting over it now though, but only squatting 100kg and deadlifting 140kg due it.
Bent over row suffered the most though, no idea what my top end is as I'm building it up insanely slowly (2.5kg every session, if that, depending on how my back feels) so only doing 60kg for that atm.

Usually only do a weight where I can keep my form.

Upper body today.

Clean 3x3
Bench Press 3x12
CG Chins 3x12
DB Seated Shoulder Press 3x12
Bent Over Rows 3x12

Again with 30s core between sets.

Usually only do a weight where I can keep my form.

Upper body today.

Clean 3x3
Bench Press 3x12
CG Chins 3x12
DB Seated Shoulder Press 3x12
Bent Over Rows 3x12

Again with 30s core between sets.

If you want to strengthen your core you've got to go longer I'm afraid. You should start off at the minute mark and build from there.

That works as a good segway for a point I wanted to bring up. As some of you know, my leg is currently crocked. This means that I have to give quite a bit of time to doing rehab on it and of course it means I'm completely unable to train. The thing is, the rehab is better done at home for a number of reasons and considering that it takes around 40 minutes, I'm not really arsed trekking of to the gym after. So, I was wondering how good a work out I'd be able to achieve at home ie. weight free.

As far as I can see there are only two pieces of equipment that are needed for the process; a pull up bar and an ab roller (both of which I happen to be in possession of in any case.) So essentially the workout would entail lots of:

Chin ups - working the back, shoulders and biceps
Push ups - chest, shoulders and triceps
Handstand push ups - shoulders and arms
Ab roller - Abs (this thing is monster btw!)
Hyper extensions - lower back, glutes, hamstrings (This one is really dependant on how strong my leg is)

Obviously reps are something that I'm going to have to figure out as I go along, but they going to be pretty big sets. Bear in mind that I'm not looking for massive muscle gain here, merely to keep on top of everything while I'm out of action.

Thoughts?

If you want to strengthen your core you've got to go longer I'm afraid. You should start off at the minute mark and build from there.

That works as a good segway for a point I wanted to bring up. As some of you know, my leg is currently crocked. This means that I have to give quite a bit of time to doing rehab on it and of course it means I'm completely unable to train. The thing is, the rehab is better done at home for a number of reasons and considering that it takes around 40 minutes, I'm not really arsed trekking of to the gym after. So, I was wondering how good a work out I'd be able to achieve at home ie. weight free.

As far as I can see there are only two pieces of equipment that are needed for the process; a pull up bar and an ab roller (both of which I happen to be in possession of in any case.) So essentially the workout would entail lots of:

Chin ups - working the back, shoulders and biceps
Push ups - chest, shoulders and triceps
Handstand push ups - shoulders and arms
Ab roller - Abs (this thing is monster btw!)
Hyper extensions - lower back, glutes, hamstrings (This one is really dependant on how strong my leg is)

Obviously reps are something that I'm going to have to figure out as I go along, but they going to be pretty big sets. Bear in mind that I'm not looking for massive muscle gain here, merely to keep on top of everything while I'm out of action.

Thoughts?

As I said before I don't decide the workout I do quite a bit of core myself anyway and it does ad up to about 6 minutes of core (don't do it after cleans) don't know if that makes a difference.

That regime looks good ab rollers are mental have you seen Thorn do them?

As I said before I don't decide the workout I do quite a bit of core myself anyway and it does ad up to about 6 minutes of core (don't do it after cleans) don't know if that makes a difference.

That regime looks good ab rollers are mental have you seen Thorn do them?

Ab rollers are the balls. They get your stomach in absolutely monster shape. Only thing is, you really have to build up to it. You can't just start from scratch on the old roller or your going to be pulling with your back and arse, meaning you'll probably do yourself a bit of damage.

Maybe it my involvement in the GAA that makes me put a lot of emphasis on the core. It's the single biggest strength issue in hurling because it really dictates how well you take a tackle and your ability out burst out of a ruck.

My current top lifts are

Squats 100kg
Deadlift 70kg (a long time ago)
Bench press 65kg (likewise)

Basically, I have fairly hench legs, no core, and a chichua like upper body. Doesn't help that I'm coming back from a shoulder injury.

The good news is my squats max lift is now 110kg

The bad news is I sat down on getting back from the gym, and now I'm not sure I can get out of the chair.

My last three workouts:

Friday:
Hang Snatch: 3x3

Trapbar Deadlift: 4x12
Finger-Knee Crunchx5 e/s

Incline Dumbell Press: 4x12
Ab Rollx10

Barbell Single Arm Row: 4x12
Reverse Curlx10

Rowing 150m/30s Restx10

Monday:
Hang Clean 3x3 (working up to max)

Barbell Front Squat 4x10-12
Toe Touchesx20

Glute Ham Raises 4x10-12
Ab Rollx10

Back Foot Elevated Split Squat 4x10-12
ss
Swissball Leg Curl (5-1-1) 4x10-12
Swissball Plank Pushx10

Wednesday:
Power Clean 3x3 (working up to max)

Bench Press 3x12
Ab Rolloutsx10

Closegrip Chinups 3x12
Swissball Jackknifesx10

Dumbell Shoulder Press 3x12
Reverse Curl and Pressx10

Bent over Row 3x12
Toe Touchesx10

90s Plank
60s Dide Plank e/s

Again the core work was done after each set not each exercise.

Thoughts?
T

The good news is my squats max lift is now 110kg

The bad news is I sat down on getting back from the gym, and now I'm not sure I can get out of the chair.
Smashing work mate..

Squats are the lift of kings.

I hit 150kg again yesterday after an incident the week before where it sort of almost crushed me...

But still gunning to improve that lift so watch this space.. hit 80 on bench too very happy

Yeah. Not a good lift to f**k up. I've got no spotter, which is why I'm not getting overambitious of them. Deadlift went up to 90kg as well, so that's two lifts at above my own bodyweight - here comes the benchpress!

I went for bodyweight benchpress this morning - got about 50% of the way back up before my arms were like "LOLNOPE" and I had to rack it on the lower pins.
Determined to get it next time.

Does anyone else do much cleans or variations on them? Starting to become a bit obsessed about them.

Also can someone tell me if there's any big difference between a trapbar deadlift and a normal one? If so what is it?

Cheers really useful always wondered why we used it. Noticed the lower back thing always feel safer maxing out on it rather than the bar. Only drawback is that it rips the callouses off.

Just something that motivates/****** me off in equal measure. Nicholas Timoney (probable future Leinster backrow) who's the same school year as me so 16/17 maxes out his bench press at 150kg. Mental.

Wish my gym had a trap bar - though I should thank my lucky stars that it's got a squat rack, as everyone/where round here seems scared of free weights :huh:

Wish my gym had a trap bar - though I should thank my lucky stars that it's got a squat rack, as everyone/where round here seems scared of free weights :huh:

They're terrifying I broke my toe doing hang cleans in May.:lol:

In all seriousness though free weights are where it's at.

Mate, you should try my gym. One f**king bench with 10 guys always queueing for it while about three people use the tons of fitness machines. At least no one's been stabbed over it. Yet. At that gym anyway. There's a gym I stopped using after that. I'm so looking for a new gym.

Got my first real roid accusation from outside my family last night...****ing thrilled

Latest posts