• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gym

The same bloke accused me again on Saturday...

Anyways hitting it hard again tommorrow for a big chest session as it's one part I of my physique I want to get big

Wish my gym had a trap bar - though I should thank my lucky stars that it's got a squat rack, as everyone/where round here seems scared of free weights :huh:

I dont think any gym I've been to has a trap bar :/ The Uni one has the general stuff (squat rack, about 4 bench press areas and a variety of bars). When I go back gonna need to start doing more free weights as shoulder is getting alot better, more bench, dead lifts and squats for me horay!

However after going from machines and making little gains to free weights and the gains I made (slowed alot over the past year as have been in "rehab" mode) I now see it as stupid if you wanna build not to use free weights.

Also any tips on getting upper chest bigger? I know wide grip bench press is what people claims works I dont know :/ Till september I only have access weights wise to 2 dumbells with ~17-19 kg of weights and not going to a gym as only here for another 2 months so anything you can do at home for chest work just using dumbells would be greatly appreciated, I've been wanting to get a barbell and 4x 10kg cast plates for home use, their on a "to buy" list tbh.

Last edited:
I've loaded every weight in my house onto my benchpress upstairs and am hitting it on incline on days I can't go to the gym..Chest is one part that is lagging quite badly.

The bulk has worked brilliantly on most other areas however chest is very slow

I only recently learnt how to swim (and I live in the Cape, don't ask) so my shoulders were quite underdeveloped and lagging behind the others, badly. That and my forearms (reason for thread starting :p) although probably not swimming. At the moment when I do dumbell presses my forearms and wrists get stiff quick.

When I'm on the machines I can do pretty heavy stuff, but then what's the use, so I'm hoping if I just stick to the presses and flies my forearms will get stronger.

I got back from Ghana on Saturday and even after eating as much fast food as I could afford I'd still lost 4kg went from 73 to 69kg and I'm around 5"8 at the moment.

I had my first gym session in about 5 weeks on Monday and another today, I'm on the same program as BG8, and while my leg exercises hadn't deteriorated to much my upper body had greatly.

I'm front squatting 50kg at 3 sets of 12 reps and I think I can up that soon enough.
I did power cleans at 3 sets of 3 reps 40 and hang clean 40, I think I can up my hang clean as well.
I did 3x12 Romanian deadlift at 40 and I could easily up that I was going too light.
My bench was 3x10 at 40, needs improving.
My BB row was 3x10 at 35kg.

I think I'm forgetting something but my log book is upstairs and I'm very lazy.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any advice of what I could do at home (all I have is a very basic bench press) that could help me gain weight because I want to be at about 75-78 kg come the start of the season.

Edit: I just realised that I said I wanted to be between 80-85 kg by the end of the summer but I've copped on a bit and realised that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any advice of what I could do at home that could help me gain weight because I want to be at about 75-78 kg come the start of the season.
Eat.
Gains are made through proper diet and adequate rest - make sure you're eating a ridiculous amount and training and resting(/sleeping) properly, it'll come in time.

I got back from Ghana on Saturday and even after eating as much fast food as I could afford I'd still lost 4kg went from 73 to 69kg and I'm around 5"8 at the moment.

I had my first gym session in about 5 weeks on Monday and another today, I'm on the same program as BG8, and while my leg exercises hadn't deteriorated to much my upper body had greatly.

I'm front squatting 50kg at 3 sets of 12 reps and I think I can up that soon enough.
I did power cleans at 3 sets of 3 reps 40 and hang clean 40, I think I can up my hang clean as well.
I did 3x12 Romanian deadlift at 40 and I could easily up that I was going too light.
My bench was 3x10 at 40, needs improving.
My BB row was 3x10 at 35kg.

I think I'm forgetting something but my log book is upstairs and I'm very lazy.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any advice of what I could do at home (all I have is a very basic bench press) that could help me gain weight because I want to be at about 75-78 kg come the start of the season.

Edit: I just realised that I said I wanted to be between 80-85 kg by the end of the summer but I've copped on a bit and realised that isn't going to happen.

Are full workout was:

Power Clean 3x3 (working up to max 1-2 sets warm up 1-2 sets 75% 1 set max)

Barbell Bench Press 3x10-12
Plankx60s

Close Grip Chins 4x10-12
Toe Touchesx10

Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press 3x10-12
Ab Rolloutsx10

Barbell Bent Over Rows 4x10-12
Leg Oversx5e/s

Just push yourself as hard as you can in training and as Olyy said eat a ****load of food (mainly in the red meat category) and get a lot of sleep.

The only other thing I can suggest cmac is a reverse pyramid of sorts. I nicked this one off Men's Fitness and found I got gains the few times I've used it - at the moment I'd rather concentrate on strength than size, so I'm not doing it much, but it's not bad.

Start off at 80pc of max lift. Do as many lifts as possible until your form falters. Lower bar. Take off 20pc and immediately resume until form falters. Take off another 20pc and rinse and repeat, all the way down to just the bar. There is no rest apart from removing weight. The idea is - as I recall - to break down the muscle as quickly as possible.

Whatever you do, take as little rest as possible between sets. Similarly, if you're about as big as you feel comfortable with, but want to get stronger, take plenty of time between sets.

But yeah. It mainly comes down to hard work, eating everything and maximum sleep. I remember reading an article in which some weightlifter describes his life. He basically eats - trains - sleeps. He also eats a lot of food cooked in butter or milk.

The same bloke accused me again on Saturday...

Anyways hitting it hard again tommorrow for a big chest session as it's one part I of my physique I want to get big

You sure he's not hitting on you?

The only other thing I can suggest cmac is a reverse pyramid of sorts. I nicked this one off Men's Fitness and found I got gains the few times I've used it - at the moment I'd rather concentrate on strength than size, so I'm not doing it much, but it's not bad.

Start off at 80pc of max lift. Do as many lifts as possible until your form falters. Lower bar. Take off 20pc and immediately resume until form falters. Take off another 20pc and rinse and repeat, all the way down to just the bar. There is no rest apart from removing weight. The idea is - as I recall - to break down the muscle as quickly as possible.

Whatever you do, take as little rest as possible between sets. Similarly, if you're about as big as you feel comfortable with, but want to get stronger, take plenty of time between sets.

But yeah. It mainly comes down to hard work, eating everything and maximum sleep. I remember reading an article in which some weightlifter describes his life. He basically eats - trains - sleeps. He also eats a lot of food cooked in butter or milk.

You sure he's not hitting on you?

Lulz He's not my type

Yep Olyy those are quite intense on the shoulders, started doing them a week or so ago. Fun.

In France for the next week with nothing to do but internet golf and gym...

I can't find a gym...Must ...not... lose ....gains...

Explosive bodyweight workouts?
Like plyometrics, clap press ups etc.
Shouldn't lose too much in a week, to be fair, and you'll probably find you go better when you get back after the time off.

im goin to polzeth for week and the place im staying has no gym, really dont want to lose any gains that ive made

Explosive bodyweight workouts?
Like plyometrics, clap press ups etc.
Shouldn't lose too much in a week, to be fair, and you'll probably find you go better when you get back after the time off.
Man you know what they say...one week out and you shrivel up..smaller than when you started.

I've always been told you lose 6 weeks gains in 2 weeks of doing nothing. You'd thin that would mean you lose 3 weeks in 1 week but I'm not sure.

im goin to polzeth for week and the place im staying has no gym, really dont want to lose any gains that ive made

Double the frequency of your exercises the week before you go, or for the two weeks before you go if time permits. Then your body gets a week off to recover and rest and you'll probably come back stronger.

Think of your training not on a week by week basis over longer periods. E.g. I am going to do 52 balls to the wall bench press and squat sessions this year. Then if a holiday or exams or other stuff comes along you just moderate your exercise frequency to adjust to that.

yeah left that a bit late i think ill do what Oly (great name btw) said and take my protein with me so i dont lose to much

Latest posts