• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Harlequins v Saracens

Flood and Hodgson equal to any 10 on their day? ********. Flood isn't good enough and Hodgson is a bigger chocker than ROG.

No, I'm absolutely correct. Hodgson is one of the worlds most most under-rated 10s (unless you've never watched him of course) and Flood has spent his last 6 years at Newcastle carrying Wilkinson, doing the donkey work that the 1 trick pony took all the credit for.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 20 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's not that we can't produce them, it's the selectors ignore them for club nepotism - Hense the utter ******** of Ciprianis "greatness" despite never accomplishing anything internationally except making an acceptable performance against a shite Irish XV. When you consider the talents who either haven't been given little or any chance such as Myler, <strike>Geraty</strike> <strike>Gereghety</strike> Geraghty & Jackson.

Then there's the likes of Flood and Hodgson - both capable of equalling any 10 in the world on their day - who've been played enough times but suffered because of week ass backlines not up to the job.

Then there's the final nail in the coffin - The continual selection of Harry Ellis or (until recently at least) Shaun Perry, neither of whom are remotely capable of supplying decent ball to whoever is at 10. It's enough to make anyone realise just how good, and important, Matt Dawson was. And at the end of the day, a 10 is only as good as the ball he's provided.[/b]

Cant agree Teh with comment about Charlie and Flood :eek:

Charlie Hodgson simply can't deliver in any pressure situation like 3 times he has collapsed under it in Thomond Park and for England on numerous times
Toby Flood is way to inconsistent and has had numerous chances on front foot to show what he can do but isn't anything special
Cipriani has talent he is an all round package it just unfortunate that media got to him to early and his progression has slowed down big time (although if Kelly Brook on offer what can we say :p )

But out of prospects you named i don't think Gereghety will ever make it as hwe seems bit full of himself and prone to injury but having seen Myler a few times and read about him he moving along steady and he is 1 player i've said before and will say again if gets a chance and takes it he could be a fixture at 10

Luckily now Toby Booth and Mike Catt aren't involved with him and acting like the pair of arseholes they are, Geraghtys attitude seems to be improving. As for the injuries, Nick Johnson will be sure to stop them happening; He kept the whole squad something ridiculous like 95% fully fit for the whole season last year - That certainly wasn't a fluke.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 20 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Luckily now Toby Booth and Mike Catt aren't involved with him and acting like the pair of arseholes they are, Geraghtys attitude seems to be improving. As for the injuries, Nick Johnson will be sure to stop them happening; He kept the whole squad something ridiculous like 95% fully fit for the whole season last year - That certainly wasn't a fluke.[/b]

Teh what happened there like I remember when it was announced he was moving Mike Catt got very andry about it? Why the major rift?

But that is a serious operation of keeping majority of squad fit for so much in todays demanding environment. But Saints really are starting to rebuild and enjoying the raging bull Neil Best i suppose

I would rather stick red hot needles in my eye and buy a Leeds Carneigie season ticket than see Charlie bloody Hodgson get anywhere near the England fly-half spot.

The man is a light weight, a liability, a Grahame Hick, an Ian Bell, a man who scores tons in domestic leagues but flops when he gets anywhere near the international stage, a man whose last good match in an England jersey was against South Africa in 2004 and even then he just passed well and executed a half-decent cross field kick to Cueto (who spoon fed it to Hodgson via 30 seconds of frantic hand signals), a man who has a constitution of jelly, the nerve of a Frenchman in the last moments of Agincourt and the willpower of a WWE Diva.

In short. Charle Hodgson would be the LAST person on earth I'd have as England number ten. Seriously.

As for the same. Dire first half. Saracens content to try two strategies: the "lets boot it down the throad of David Strettle and see what happens" trick and the time old "lets boot it down the throad of Ugo Monye and see what happens" strategy. Even Schalk Brits had a go and hoofed one down field (and made about 30 meters or thereabouts, not bad) Both didn't work and yet because of Joubert, Saul and Van Heerden at the breakdown 'Quins for periods of time looked rather impotent always on the attack but never nearing. Two massive chances for Quins right on the Saracens try line came and went first one was defended very well with a well worked turnover whilst the 2nd was held up off of the line.

The second half was better and Saracens just seemed to corral an increasingly angry and frustrated Quins to an early bath to be honest. Huuuuge drop goal from HooHaa (Hogaard) which was a marvel to behold and he then spent the rest of the game controlling things behind a very confident Saracens pack. Britts really does impress me (NICE ONE, BREW!!) as he acts both as a hooker and as another back row forward which brings much more to Saracens' game I feel. Andy Saul is another one who is impressing with immense physicality and collossal speed. Not as quick as Tom Croft but considering that he gave Ugo Monye a race sent shivers up my spine.

In the end, well deserved win for Sarries. Maybe we may get 4? Who knows.

Don't want Charlie Hodgson near my fly-half position though.

EDIT: Also, might want to add that Chris White has no clue how to ref a scrum. He spent most of the game and countless scrum resets before he figured out that someone was turning in and not binding properly before bringing the whole thing down. In fact, he only penalised teams twice at scrum time during the game: first reversing a scrum in Quin's favour and second awarding a penalty to Saracens late in the day.

If you know something is going wrong and you know someone is buggering the thing up, don't just go through twenty scrum resets before it belatedly works, penalise the offending team!

As far as I'm concerned, both scrum-half and fly-half look very rosy for England. Care, Hodgson (no. 1 for me), Youngs, Young and Simpson all have potential to be top class scrummies, and at fly half i think Myler, Geraghty, Flood and Cipriani are exactly the same. If we get a consistent selection of one of these partnerships over the next few years we have nothing to worry about, especially with someone like Flutey outside them (or Barkley who WILL break into the England team again).

I'd like to see

9. Hodgson
10. Wilkinson
12. Flutey

until the world cup

and

9. Simpson
10. Myler
12. Flutey

in 2015

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 20 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
don't worry he's not South African so at least that rules him out with Sarries![/b]

Well we were going to get some Pacfic Islands or Kiwi backs but when we checked we found Leinster and Munster had bought all of them! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 20 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 20 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
don't worry he's not South African so at least that rules him out with Sarries![/b]

Well we were going to get some Pacfic Islands or Kiwi backs but when we checked we found Leinster and Munster had bought all of them! :lol:
[/b][/quote]

yeah Leinster really have cornered the market on that front :p :lol:

That is problem though either Johnson or injury prevents England from forming a settled half back partnership.
With Armitage out (Englands best back) will Foden get chance at 15 as he showed so much last season or is he 'too small' for #15 jersey.

Also from a Munster view how is Justin Melck going these days.

And interesting to see if Flutey will stay in squad until 2011 as I sure he under even more pressure due to playing in France

`To be honest I think I've only seen Myler twice but he hasn't blown me away on either time( once in the challenge cup and in the churchill cup final). Now without seeing him regularly I can't say too much but this is going to be a big year for him what with Northampton being looked at for a top 4 spot and in the Hcup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 20 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That is problem though either Johnson or injury prevents England from forming a settled half back partnership.
With Armitage out (Englands best back) will Foden get chance at 15 as he showed so much last season or is he 'too small' for #15 jersey.

Also from a Munster view how is Justin Melck going these days.

And interesting to see if Flutey will stay in squad until 2011 as I sure he under even more pressure due to playing in France[/b]

being injured won't do his chances much good either.

You guys have made your purchases over the years and so have we. What nobody seems to mention is that Saracens have one of the best Academy set ups in the GP. Nobody seems to mention Noah Cato, Alex Goode and Andy Saul: three of the brightest players in the England under 20s who yesterday played bloody well when they had the ball. Everyone just seems to want to look at the 6 or 7 South Africans (at least one of which are UK qualified btw) out of a squad of 27...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 20 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
`To be honest I think I've only seen Myler twice but he hasn't blown me away on either time( once in the challenge cup and in the churchill cup final). Now without seeing him regularly I can't say too much but this is going to be a big year for him what with Northampton being looked at for a top 4 spot and in the Hcup.[/b]

Agree and with having invested in squad nicely they must be competitive but the Myler we seen in Churchill Cup was 1 who seemed unsettled which may have been due to hype around Cipriani been there etc. But that kind of stuff is what he'll have to get used too but having seen him on a number of occasions you can see he a very good up and coming fly half

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 20 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You guys have made your purchases over the years and so have we. What nobody seems to mention is that Saracens have one of the best Academy set ups in the GP. Nobody seems to mention Noah Cato, Alex Goode and Andy Saul: three of the brightest players in the England under 20s who yesterday played bloody well when they had the ball. Everyone just seems to want to look at the 6 or 7 South Africans (at least one of which are UK qualified btw) out of a squad of 27...[/b]

wasn't having a go mate but we've plenty coming through the academy as well in fairness.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 20 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 20 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Thing is we don't buy quantity we buy quality :lol:

Great start for Sarries too :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 20 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You guys have made your purchases over the years and so have we. What nobody seems to mention is that Saracens have one of the best Academy set ups in the GP. Nobody seems to mention Noah Cato, Alex Goode and Andy Saul: three of the brightest players in the England under 20s who yesterday played bloody well when they had the ball. Everyone just seems to want to look at the 6 or 7 South Africans (at least one of which are UK qualified btw) out of a squad of 27...[/b]
Well thats about 1/4 of your squad which is a fairly sizable chunk.

1000th post btw

yay.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 20 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 20 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well thats about 1/4 of your squad which is a fairly sizable chunk.

1000th post btw

yay.jpg

[/b][/quote]

In fairness to Saracens it happening throughout the GP

Latest posts