• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB must build more awareness for rugby 2011

Scotsman

Academy Player
I have been extremely impressed with Sidhe's promotion of Rugby Challenge - they frequently respond to questions on their forum, they have an active social media campaign, have released many screenshots and just released a trailer.

I am concerned Rugby World Cup 2011 is losing ground due to a comparatively slow and limited marketing output.

HB risks being left behind and losing customers to Sidhe if this continues. I know there are restrictions due to licensing agreements, but there are other ways around this, e.g deveolper diaries, Q&A's, more screenshots, more forum activity etc etc.

Its all about generating the most 'buzz' and anticipation up to release, more so now there are two games competing for what is relatively small market. Assuming the quality of the games are similar, the company that creates the most noise will win the market share battle hands down, and Sidhe/HES is threatening to steal a march.

looks like the trailer is coming soon if you have a look on twitter :)

To be honest i think that they have done a pretty good job so far... Rugby Challenge's Facebook page has 5,598 likes and RWC 2011 has 19,979.

I'm not sure how they've managed to get this many followers, although the game was announced months before RC they HB and 505 games have still managed to get a massive following for RWC 2011. Things like the trailer and the demo will only add to this

Plus the people who have been actively following these games will represent only a small fraction of the market, so how certain parties have released info up to now is perhaps not as relevant as the marketing and advertising will be directly before the release of these games and during the world cup.

There's an advert of the game in the official tournament guide.

Question: How many people do you think will buy a rugby game this year having anticipated one or both ***les eagerly vs. how many will buy a rugby game having got caught up in the excitement of the RWC and then seeing the game in a shop / on a games website?

I think being the 'official' game has benefits far outweighing a social media / developer diary strategy at this stage... not to say it wouldn't be welcome to see more, but I think 'must build more awareness' is a slight overstatement.

toup I thing the 'comparison thread' poll goes some way to answering your question. Eager anticipation built up over months I believe will sell more games than real sport/event association. Judging by the poll this is working better for RC, although its good to see that the majority would buy both. I thinks thats down to fact we have been starved of rugby games. But I still think Sidhe have been far more proactive on the marketing front, and this isn't good for HB's final sales.

toup I thing the 'comparison thread' poll goes some way to answering your question. Eager anticipation built up over months I believe will sell more games than real sport/event association. Judging by the poll this is working better for RC, although its good to see that the majority would buy both. I thinks thats down to fact we have been starved of rugby games. But I still think Sidhe have been far more proactive on the marketing front, and this isn't good for HB's final sales.

Not everyone who is going to buy the game lives on the TRF and SIDHE boards ... therefore the poll is not as accurate as some try to make out.

Last edited:
Exactly... this forum covers a niche of dedicated rugby fans, with this board covering the VERY niche rugby gaming fans... who as a proportion of total buyers of the products are a minute fraction, even more so in a RWC year when casual and non-fans may invest in a game.

I am not suggesting that Sidhe haven't done an excellent job, I am simply saying that your assessment that HB are in some way 'doomed' by their comparative effort is possibly a little premature.

I never said or implied that HB are 'doomed' - I'm just pointing out that their marketing output is pretty low, particularly in comparision to Sidhe. I agree that the poll is way too small to reflect the true picture, though it may be an indication. However on the point of the casul fan. They are the ones who really need to be 'marketed' at, far more so than niche gamers who will likely buy both games irrespective of the 'hype'. It is exactly these casual gamers that the publishers need to work hardest to reach - they are unlikely to buy both games. They will buy the one they have heard more about, that has the greatest exposure and generated the most awareness. What I'm saying is Sidhe seem way ahead on these fronts.

Casual fans will not be queueing up / pre ordering / buying either game on release day, they won't be researching, visiting forums etc in anticipation, they will either see both games in store, or see one advertised around the event itself - so HB's 'official' badge will come into its own, as they will no doubt be the only ones allowed to advertise around the RWC (believe me, I know the ins and outs of marketing around sport). Neither company has the budget for a 'mass' campaign, but HB will get far more coverage due to simply being the official game. Want to bet on which game sells more copies? :)

I agree with the start of this post. Go on HB website and click on Rugby and u get nothing. Go on the Sidhe and u get loads. Plus, as has been said they do seem to be answering people's questions, no matter how many times they are asked the same thing!

Let me make the exact same point, using slightly different words.

People going to either HB or Sidhe's sites have prior knowledge of the game(s). As a percentage of the total number of people who will end up buying a rugby game this year, this is a tiny number.

Pre-release info builds anticipation for those who choose to inform themselves about the rugby gaming market, but neither company has made a big push on Google paid listings for example, to attract more passive searchers. In fact, HB actually holds the advantage here, as being listed on Amazon, they will gain additional awareness that they even have a product on the way to market.

Answering questions to already engaged fans does not grow sales numbers, only increases brand favourability.

Again, want to bet which game will sell more?

Latest posts