• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB Request - Name me some unique goal kickers

i noticed james o'connors style recently in the tests. he lines it up, puts his mouthguard in and then makes a butterfly with his hands before kicking it.

Yeah and he's probably Aussies best Goal-kicker at the moment although Kurtley Beale has plenty of power

Island Kicks

Nicky Little - great kicking form for Fiji in the RWC 2007
610x.jpg26693.gif.jpgnicky2.jpg
also Loki Crichton & Pierre Hola

also adding players who wear head gears they should take them off when kicking e.g Matt Giteau & Berrick Barnes

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best two kickers in this moment are Dan Carter and obviously Johny Wilkinson.

Morne Steyn holds the record for most consecutive successful kicks at goal in Test matches. He had a streak of 41 successful attempts that ended on 6 November 2010 against Ireland. The previous record was 36, held by Chris Paterson of Scotland. He also has the World record for most points scored by a player who has scored all their team's points (31). He also has the most points scored by an individual against New Zealand (31) in a single test.
He has the most points in a Super Rugby season (263) - Beating Dan Carter's record of 221 set in 2006.

I'd say he is a better kicker than Carter. Carter may be a better rugby player but not kicker!
If Morne Steyn were playing for NZ he would have an even better record at the rate that NZ score tries. More opportunities to kick at goal!

Morne Steyn holds the record for most consecutive successful kicks at goal in Test matches. He had a streak of 41 successful attempts that ended on 6 November 2010 against Ireland. The previous record was 36, held by Chris Paterson of Scotland. He also has the World record for most points scored by a player who has scored all their team's points (31). He also has the most points scored by an individual against New Zealand (31) in a single test.
He has the most points in a Super Rugby season (263) - Beating Dan Carter's record of 221 set in 2006.

I'd say he is a better kicker than Carter. Carter may be a better rugby player but not kicker!
If Morne Steyn were playing for NZ he would have an even better record at the rate that NZ score tries. More opportunities to kick at goal!

I like Steyn but in fairness, if he was playing for New Zealand instead of Carter, the AB's probably wouldn't score as many tries. Not to say I wouldn't want Morne Steyn to back up Carter any day of the week.

Daniel Carter used to be the best goal kicker in the world, but he had an archillies injury he hasn't properly sorted out his kicking since then. Morne Steyn is a machine goal kicker though. I'd say Carter is the best field kicker still, but that's as much taking the right options, rather than just skill.

Last edited:
SA kick at goal a lot more than NZ do though (especially with Steyns range, he'll knock them over where anyone else would go for the corner)

I would like to see a better default kicking style for the players who don't have proper ones. The default kicking motion in the previous games was pretty poor in my opinion, I've never seen anybody kick like it in my life.
Also, I reckon that if a players kicking style is motion captured, the ball position and type of tee should be added as well, what does everyone think?

Toby flood Jonny Wilkinson esk> Arms like Wilkinson but with is legs only slightly bent and before the kick he twiddles his thumbs

Last edited:
Rugby 2004 I think had used L1 and R1 (ps2) which curved the kick left or right
I never noticed it too well (2004 kicking system was pretty whack) or I just never had an accurate kicker
(my fav team I used was Samoa)

But maybe with the 06 and 08 system, the curve option can work?
(The arrow the comes up before you press x to start the power gauge curved)

Using the Kicking system from 06 would work fine...
Make the ball travel in the direction of the arrow (regardless of whether you stop it right on that line) but for the ball to continue in that direction would require you to have stopped it on (or very close to) that line. If you stop it to the right then it will curve to the right, if you stop it to the left it will curve to the left. Wind would still effect the ball in the same way, but you could add curve and angle to counter that.

Also Morné Steyn and François Steyn are very similar
Asides Morné Steyn taking 5 steps at 45 degree angle, and François with 6 steps

Here are some pics on their kicking?

Morne Steyn.jpgMorne Steyn reverse angle.jpgEnd of Morne Steyn.jpgFrancois Steyn.jpg

I think that last picture (below) is actually the end of a Steyn drop kick..
still, very similar to the goal kicking of both Steyns? Thus I think they could share an animation?
pencil.png

Attachments

• End of Francois Steyn.jpg
    End of Francois Steyn.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: