• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Final 2008

The Heineken Cup Final

• Munster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toulouse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Congratulations to the Munster fans on here. I turned the game off after 20 minutes because i found it frustrating, Tolouse at that time showed nothing with ball in hand. I think Munster have deserved the ***le more this season, they had an incredibly tough group to start then two away games in the quarters and semis.

Congratulations to Munster that keep alive the Irish Fighting Spirit and deserved the victory. Unfortunately I couldn't see the match, but yesterday in cardiff there were a great day of rugby.

In other forum I've read that Nigel Owens didn't arbitrate very weel, what do you think about?

Bye! :)

<div class='quotemain'>
Munster were robbed! Two tries disallowed :bleh!:

[/b]

Irish joke ?????
[/b][/quote]
That's what they call, 'Rubbing salt into the wound.'

Munster were by far the better team. They controlled the ball, won the breakdown battle(as usual) and played a very smart game. Toulouse were quite passive throughout and didnt turn up IMO. How any Toulouse fan can complain about the result is simply sour grapes. Well done Munster you are deserving European Champions. Also congratulations to the Millenium stadium security for not allowing any of the Munster idiot contingent on to the field after the game.

Munster were by far the better team. They controlled the ball, won the breakdown battle(as usual) and played a very smart game. Toulouse were quite passive throughout and didnt turn up IMO. How any Toulouse fan can complain about the result is simply sour grapes. Well done Munster you are deserving European Champions. Also congratulations to the Millenium stadium security for not allowing any of the Munster idiot contingent on to the field after the game. [/b]

One got passed and duly got nailed by the security guard!

<div class='quotemain'> Munster were by far the better team. They controlled the ball, won the breakdown battle(as usual) and played a very smart game. Toulouse were quite passive throughout and didnt turn up IMO. How any Toulouse fan can complain about the result is simply sour grapes. Well done Munster you are deserving European Champions. Also congratulations to the Millenium stadium security for not allowing any of the Munster idiot contingent on to the field after the game. [/b]

One got passed and duly got nailed by the security guard!
[/b][/quote]
Clothesline style?

clothesline.jpg

Congrats to Munster for being the ugliest H-Champion ever :)

No, seriously they deserved it. This wasn't spectacular, this was frustrating, boring, all that you want but they played a clever game, doing just what they needed to beat Toulouse. Typical french defeat by the way... some opportunities, a lightning from one of the most enjoyable player in the NH, who can be brilliant or just silly at anytime, but a lack of strategy & 'cool head'. Too many mistakes too, in lineout especially.

Elissalde can make illusion against Cardiff or the Irish but he's not a true fly half. Say want you want, but at least a guy like Skrela can bring his good tactical kicking skills to Toulouse. Especially if he does his special, the backward kick. Michalak, if he recovers his level of two years ago, can be useful too.

PS: I must say I hate the pick and go stuff, especially at 20 minutes of the end of the game... soon we will see 80min of this or what ?

Congrats to Munster for being the ugliest H-Champion ever :)

No, seriously they deserved it. This wasn't spectacular, this was frustrating, boring, all that you want but they played a clever game, doing just what they needed to beat Toulouse. Typical french defeat by the way... some opportunities, a lightning from one of the most enjoyable player in the NH, who can be brilliant or just silly at anytime, but a lack of strategy & 'cool head'. Too many mistakes too, in lineout especially.

Elissalde can make illusion against Cardiff or the Irish but he's not a true fly half. Say want you want, but at least a guy like Skrela can bring his good tactical kicking skills to Toulouse. Especially if he does his special, the backward kick. Michalak, if he recovers his level of two years ago, can be useful too.

PS: I must say I hate the pick and go stuff, especially at 20 minutes of the end of the game... soon we will see 80min of this or what ? [/b]

Good post there mate!

The pick and go stuff is not the sexiest thing to watch but it works, again it boars the crap and I did feel once ot twice yesterday Tolouse were not unlucky to be awarded a pen for not realeasing the ball! But this tactic came undone against Cardiff when they started it and came unstuck which lead to a Blues win!

But in all fairness you do what yu need to do to win!

Michalak will be more of the same, big talent no head for the big games as he has proved for years. The pick and drive employed by Munster is not really a tactic to condemn as to retain the ball in such a professional manner was a joy to watch. Any decent coach of young players will instill in his charges the importance of good ball protection and Munster won the cup because of it. End of story.

congrats to munster!
thought they deseved it, but JB ellissard(sp?) must be ruing is missed kicks and butchering of their best attacking platform. (the one with the meaningless crossfield in the2nd half)
watch the highlights-good game nice mixture of hard forward graft and sensational back play.

Michalak will be more of the same, big talent no head for the big games as he has proved for years. The pick and drive employed by Munster is not really a tactic to condemn as to retain the ball in such a professional manner was a joy to watch. Any decent coach of young players will instill in his charges the importance of good ball protection and Munster won the cup because of it. End of story. [/b]

Sure that the pick and go needs great technical skills, and sometimes it can be entertaining to watch it - for example in the last France/England game, when they scored a try at the last minute. But sometimes it's just there to kill the game... yesterday Munster has not even tried to score a single dropkick. And to me the fact of diving directly to the grass is opposite to the values of rugby... where is the fighting spirit ?

Concerning Pelous, the yellow card was harsh and Quinlan's acting ridiculous. But wait, the man has 35 years old, he played 3 World Cups, won 2 H-Cup, has been captain for France and for Toulouse... he must keep his head cool in games like that. Finally, that's more or less the same debate as the one concerning Zidane's headbut last year... :rolleyes:

But anyway, Munster deserved it. Even without playing rugby, they nearly scored two more refused try, and the second one was beautiful - Heymans was just burned by Howlett on this one.

<div class='quotemain'> Michalak will be more of the same, big talent no head for the big games as he has proved for years. The pick and drive employed by Munster is not really a tactic to condemn as to retain the ball in such a professional manner was a joy to watch. Any decent coach of young players will instill in his charges the importance of good ball protection and Munster won the cup because of it. End of story. [/b]

Sure that the pick and go needs great technical skills, and sometimes it can be entertaining to watch it - for example in the last France/England game, when they scored a try at the last minute. But sometimes it's just there to kill the game... yesterday Munster has not even tried to score a single dropkick. And to me the fact of diving directly to the grass is opposite to the values of rugby... where is the fighting spirit ?

Concerning Pelous, the yellow card was harsh and Quinlan's acting ridiculous. But wait, the man has 35 years old, he played 3 World Cups, won 2 H-Cup, has been captain for France and for Toulouse... he must keep his head cool in games like that. Finally, that's more or less the same debate as the one concerning Zidane's headbut last year... :rolleyes:

But anyway, Munster deserved it. Even without playing rugby, they nearly scored two more refused try, and the second one was beautiful - Heymans was just burned by Howlett on this one.
[/b][/quote]
The main reason why pick and drive is becoming more and more used when the pressure is on is due to ref`s blowing so early for not releasing. This forces the attacking player to look for contact make a yard without isolating himself from his team-mates. Until the directive on this is changed the pick and drive will remain and probably prosper.

Well Done, Munster! The forward play during the second half was exceptional. That was the sort of rugby match I love to watch. I can't believe that some of you found it boring. I mean, I understand, but it was a great day for forwards.
I sort of "borrowed" this youtube clip from rugbydump...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQC_frrlWUU&rel=0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQC_frrlWUU&rel=0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Well Done, Munster! The forward play during the second half was exceptional. That was the sort of rugby match I love to watch. I can't believe that some of you found it boring. I mean, I understand, but it was a great day for forwards.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQC_frrlWUU&rel=0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQC_frrlWUU&rel=0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
[/b]
Im with you as a defender of the art of forward play.O`Connell for President of the United States of America.

[/b]

O'Rothlain agree with you, yes it was a masterclass for forwards and it was good to watch in that respect but I paid money to go and watch this game at the stadium and I thought id get a better display for my money. I did find the game boring and it annoys me when a team start to shut out a game like Munster did. But it did show how good the forwards were in being able to keep the ball. But really I do not like the idea of shutting the game out so early in the second half!

Tribute should be paid to the Munster forwards!

I was there, match was very average - but then again every final will be tight, Also sometimes harder to appreciate a match when not viewed up close through 10 perfgectly placed TV cameras.

but oh what atmosphere!!!!!!! Firstly the stadium...simply magnificent!! Roof clsed and the roaring Munster fans... they now how to have a good time and that showed after the game as well.

As a Kiwi, I have to say our NH brothers (and sisters) really know how to put on a show!

And special mention to the lovely Welsh woman who put us up for the night in Wales 5 mins walk from the Stadium and who had cold beer waiting in the fridge for us when we arrived!!! Top class!!

Congratulations to the Munster fans on here. I turned the game off after 20 minutes because i found it frustrating, Tolouse at that time showed nothing with ball in hand. I think Munster have deserved the ***le more this season, they had an incredibly tough group to start then two away games in the quarters and semis.
[/b]
I gave the game atleast 10 mins more than you. We're too spoiled to watch games like these

I was there, match was very average - but then again every final will be tight, Also sometimes harder to appreciate a match when not viewed up close through 10 perfgectly placed TV cameras.

but oh what atmosphere!!!!!!! Firstly the stadium...simply magnificent!! Roof clsed and the roaring Munster fans... they now how to have a good time and that showed after the game as well.

As a Kiwi, I have to say our NH brothers (and sisters) really know how to put on a show!

And special mention to the lovely Welsh woman who put us up for the night in Wales 5 mins walk from the Stadium and who had cold beer waiting in the fridge for us when we arrived!!! Top class!! [/b]

Yeah, Babs was amazing and said that I had a great smile!

I think the atmosphere made up for the sometimes incredibly cagey nature of the game. Watching the Munster fans going nuts over the incredibly exciting and scintilating pick-and-go tactics (as opposed to the boring, dull, dire and almost identical English pick-and-go tactics) was on the one hand hilarious but when you consider that they have the likes of Doug Howlett at their disposal...incredibly frustrating.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I gave the game atleast 10 mins more than you. We're too spoiled to watch games like these [/b][/quote]
Please don't tell me this is a SH>NH comment... <_<

Latest posts