• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Semi Final- Toulon v Munster

The fact remains that it was funding from an outside source which brought them to this level, whether they can operate autonomously now or not.

IRFU outside source for Irish clubs.....WRU outside source for all Welsh clubs......SRU for Edinburgh and Glasgow......Wray and SA interests outside source for Sarries.....Gloucester, Bath, Northampton, Worcester, Newcastle, Sale, Irish, Wasps..... all have/had outside sources of funding (maybe only Quins who have not in APL).

I understand where you are but unfortunately, and it is unfortunate as far as I am concerned, money is now in the game and it is here to stay and the rules are different in France then everywhere else as regards salary cap due to interest there that generates far more money all round.....even the AB's are a money making machine.....look at their commercial interests and outlets!

LG.....AB'S are respected everywhere but only truly loved in NZ....everywhere else they are "disliked" if only for their head start in the professional era allowing them to set the standard in how to run a professional structure and 'cos they are true winners.....like Sarries and Toulon will prove to be over the years with their current commercial and financial clout!!

I hope the Irish fans complaining about the lack of French in the Toulon squad were not the same who complained about the IRFU when they wanted to limit further the number of non Irish players playing for the provinces.

IRFU outside source for Irish clubs.....WRU outside source for all Welsh clubs......SRU for Edinburgh and Glasgow......Wray and SA interests outside source for Sarries.....Gloucester, Bath, Northampton, Worcester, Newcastle, Sale, Irish, Wasps..... all have/had outside sources of funding (maybe only Quins who have not in APL).

I understand where you are but unfortunately, and it is unfortunate as far as I am concerned, money is now in the game and it is here to stay and the rules are different in France then everywhere else as regards salary cap due to interest there that generates far more money all round.....even the AB's are a money making machine.....look at their commercial interests and outlets!

LG.....AB'S are respected everywhere but only truly loved in NZ....everywhere else they are "disliked" if only for their head start in the professional era allowing them to set the standard in how to run a professional structure and 'cos they are true winners.....like Sarries and Toulon will prove to be over the years with their current commercial and financial clout!!
Well I wouldn't say the IRFU is an outside source. They to all purposes are the provinces. They own them and dictate their survival. While I get what you mean that we are funded by someone, the IRFU's aims are not entirely success. They have a duty of care to grow the game in areas like Connacht (hence the 300k funding to our worst province), support the game at grass roots level, oversee amateur tournaments and pretty much every other rugby related activity in Ireland. This all builds to the success of our international team, something which a club owner wouldn't have to worry about. For this reason our competitiveness is limited as the IRFU makes a big loss basically running Irish rugby at every level, while quotas are aimed at encouraging indigenous development and international success. As such we can NEVER hope to compete with Toulon financially. I think the way forward for us in Ireland is to maintain IRFU control and a quota so talent can grow while seriously seeking outside investment as I think happened in Ulster with the signing of Pienaar. We're unlikely to attract the level of investment that comes from the draw of actually owning a club though.

I don't buy for a second that the All Blacks are universally loved, respected yes, but loved no. Just have a gander at any archived match thread here involving New Zealand, I can't exactly feel the love in nearly any of them(in fact I've actually been thinking of suggesting segregated match threads they are so atrocious.)

Oh, not just archived match threads here, but ANY youtube video featuring the All Blacks, any thread on any if the other rugby forums like Planet Rugby or The Silver Fern. They bring out the haters in their droves.

Oh look it's you. Addressing points I never ****ing made as per usual. Right firstly in recent history Toulon were up until 2005/6 a Pro D2 side who bounced between division two and one. I don't know about the times before that and honestly don't care but they have certainly not been a constant European force and this particular side is entirely built in recent years, within a couple of seasons.

Yep. Looking at the ERC website, and the Top 14 website (even though it is in French, I can easily follow it) you are right on the money with this. They certainly do not have the pedigree of a side like Leicester Tigers or Stade Francais or Toulouse, who won the very first Heineken Cup in 1995/96. Toulon are like Watford FC in 1980's English First Division Football; a club whose brief period in the limelight was entirely down to the money put in to the club by their owner, Elton John. When his involvement ended, Watford sunk back into the mire.

I never said they weren't self funding, so good job there champ. The fact remains that it was funding from an outside source which brought them to this level, whether they can operate autonomously now or not. If you read the post instead of getting so defensive you would notice I said that given a few years to gel with a consistent roster of world class players and a decent environment, a class team could be built. Racing have neither. I'm not jealous of Toulon, we have a different rugby culture in Ireland whereby I would hate to see my team populated so greatly by foreign players. I'm sure I would see it differently were I brought up in the French rugby tradition but I am not. I would sure like that amount of money, but more so we could hold on to all the players we produce and invest it in the academy and at grass roots (yes I am aware Toulon do have a decent academy), with the occasional signing in an area we are weak.
If you can't actually argue someone's points without getting wildly defensive, don't join a forum, it's here for debate. For the record Toulon deserved their win yesterday, we were rightly outplayed, and I have no ill wishes towards most of Toulon's players. It's the ideal of Toulon I dislike.

Pretty much, if the IRFU were to allow the the Provinces to be in private ownership and hire whatever players they liked from anywhere in the world, then within a few years it would kill Irish rugby stone dead below the neck. Same would likely happen in Wales and it would definitely happen here and in Australia, which is why we don't allow it. The Rugby culture is NZ is too important to us to allow that to happen here.

The game at the top Club/Province end would get rich at the expense of the game at grass roots. The National Unions, without any effective income stream other than International Rugby, would not have the money to develop the game at grass roots and youth level. Will club owners pick up the slack? Well, they don't in England and France, so there is no reason to believe they would in Ireland or anywhere else. With the Club/Province owners dictating the terms under which players would be allowed to play for their national teams, the credibility of international rugby falls, reducing the National Union income streams even further. Watch over the next few weeks how many English players try to avoid the trip to NZ in June, as they cry off one by one because they are "too tired" or have some previously undiagnosed injury that needs "rest or minor surgery". Its happened year, after year, after year. Already, the first test will be against a below par England team because of the players who will be missing due to Premiership/Heineken Cup finals commitments.

O Watch over the next few weeks how many English players try to avoid the trip to NZ in June, as they cry off one by one because they are "too tired" or have some previously undiagnosed injury that needs "rest or minor surgery".

I'm guessing somewhere between none and zero.
If you think playing for England is anything other than the absolute pinnacle for these players then your head is in the clouds.

If you think playing for England is anything other than the absolute pinnacle for these players then your head is in the clouds.

Time will tell. It happens a lot in soccer and to tier 2 players playing with clubs.

I've no problem or issue with money like Toulon have or if they play French. As I've said before they don't care for national team (and why should they?). Munster nearly and could've beaten them yesterday and well at end of day it's 15v15 on field.
My point is IF Irish provinces want to stay competing or balanced we need to allow private investment. Keep it at 5/6 NIQs it alternatively sign as many as you want but only allow 1 per position and no more than 4/5 in any squad. But we need to be able to buy in the 3/4 players and not journey men that are NIQ.

To be honest I think we will be fine if we sign a high standard of NIQ, but we're being outbid by the French for the big guys. In the past we could attract guys like Howlett Afoa and Christian Cullen for a couple of seasons, but now we need to aim our sights a bit lower, so that means young guys (particularly with project being pushed evermore) or solid older guys who probably were never superstars.
For some reason Connacht are signing brilliantly and it's probably due to the looser NIQ rules, but Munster for sure would have taken Aki for instance unless we have our eyes on someone bigger. The difference is that Lam is networking very well, using his past connections like the other coaches aren't.

Is money the problem for most people when it comes to Toulon? It's their advantage and they've clearly taken it but it's the culture surrounding the club that I really dislike. They're the rugby equivalent of Chelsea, a big owner who is at the forefront of everything and thinking that by him spending the money which he earned through comic books (Fair play nothing wrong here) on something which I don't think he knows an awful lot about in rugby is his success and he loves the plaudits and is generally a dick. Add that to the **** style of rugby (Don't give me the whole 'it's winning rugby' spiel because the best HEC squad ever, Leinster '09-'12, didn't play "winning rugby" like Toulon), a whole host of unlikeable players and a dick of a coach and they're very Chelsea-esque.

The money side of things was inevitable but as teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund showed in football, you don't have to be hateful and stand for everything that your sport is not to win success.

Edit: @Groundhog, what about MO'C and Lote Tiquiri? Inspired!

Groundhog is right. We need extra cash to get just the better quality. We don't need quantity. Irish rugby has academies that are superbly set up so that each province can produce enough IQ quality to compete and just that bit of class make difference.
Cmac mentioned Leinsters winning teams. Mainly inspired by a Elsom, Hines, Thorn. Munster bu a Halstead, Howlett, Tipoki. But nothing major.
Like Munster now are in hunt for centres and well McAllister seems like a possibility along with Mafi returning. Something that small is major difference.
Oh yea Connacht outbid Munster and Leinster for Aki. That's the truth

Time will tell. It happens a lot in soccer and to tier 2 players playing with clubs.

Yes, and as we know the England rugby team is both of those things.
If anyone named misses this tour it's due to genuine injury, not because they can't be arsed with international rugby.

I'd have to agree ... since the international windows are better than they were (they're still not as good as they could be, but they are workable), the quality of the touring sides is better - not that it's the over riding factor, but I can't see that a player is going to risk losing their potential spot in an RWC squad either, by not touring.

As for the whole Toulon/Imported players/private ownership/revenue stream thing, it's obvious that it's unsustainable in countries like Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and Wales, due to the lack of teams at the top level, and lack of available money ... it seems to work for the top 14, and if the Toulon fans are okay with the lack of French players playing in their finals, then, all power to them.

What I would like to see, is some sort of fee paid to the country/union that developed the player though

Yes, and as we know the England rugby team is both of those things.
If anyone named misses this tour it's due to genuine injury, not because they can't be arsed with international rugby.

Agreed. England also seem very together now and guys know there's serious competition before RWC. Don't think any with serious ambition would want to miss chance of testing themselves against best unless they're injured or miss 1st test due to club commitments.

Groundhog is right. We need extra cash to get just the better quality. We don't need quantity. Irish rugby has academies that are superbly set up so that each province can produce enough IQ quality to compete and just that bit of class make difference.
Cmac mentioned Leinsters winning teams. Mainly inspired by a Elsom, Hines, Thorn. Munster bu a Halstead, Howlett, Tipoki. But nothing major.
Like Munster now are in hunt for centres and well McAllister seems like a possibility along with Mafi returning. Something that small is major difference.
Oh yea Connacht outbid Munster and Leinster for Aki. That's the truth
Mafi?!?! Return of the king.
Yeah I don't really mind Connacht getting a bit of preferential treatment. The IRFU neglected them for years and they're losing two centres. I would have thought we'd have a pop at Griffin who is going to London Irish. And on that topic the guys who bought London Irish are Irish. Seriously **** those traitorous ********. If they'd given us money we could have sent Dave Kilcoyne bollock naked down the street with their company name painted onto his belly. Guerilla marketing innit. It goes back to the thing that big investors aren't interested in something they can't own or receive recognition for.

Oh, Olly in an ideal rugby world, I agree, but we live in a rugby world that is far from ideal. Some players will be instructed by their bosses (the club owners/managers/coaches) that they are tired or that their surgery or rest is more important than their international career, and if they disagree, they will be given a reminder about their attitude next time their contract comes up for renewal. Clubs routinely find excuses to prevent their players from playing test rugby. Ask any minnow country coach how frustrating it can be trying to select a team for AI's or ST's when clubs come up with excuses not to release players. I personally know two former Samoan international players who were threatened by their club that if they made themselves available for Samoa on during the AI's back in the early 2000s their contract would not be renewed. This sort of thing has been rife in the past, and I have seen nothing that convinces me it does not still happen.

Mafi?!?! Return of the king.
Yeah I don't really mind Connacht getting a bit of preferential treatment. The IRFU neglected them for years and they're losing two centres. I would have thought we'd have a pop at Griffin who is going to London Irish. And on that topic the guys who bought London Irish are Irish. Seriously **** those traitorous ********. If they'd given us money we could have sent Dave Kilcoyne bollock naked down the street with their company name painted onto his belly. Guerilla marketing innit. It goes back to the thing that big investors aren't interested in something they can't own or receive recognition for.

Yep Mafi wants to come back and will come back very cheaply especially if Perpignan go down.
As for other signing McAllister seems most likely but an All Black centre seems to be a definitive description for sure

Olyy dont you get it? Club rugby in England and France is evil and will bring about the end of the world as we know it.

Oh, Olly in an ideal rugby world, I agree, but we live in a rugby world that is far from ideal. Some players will be instructed by their bosses (the club owners/managers/coaches) that they are tired or that their surgery or rest is more important than their international career, and if they disagree, they will be given a reminder about their attitude next time their contract comes up for renewal. Clubs routinely find excuses to prevent their players from playing test rugby. Ask any minnow country coach how frustrating it can be trying to select a team for AI's or ST's when clubs come up with excuses not to release players. I personally know two former Samoan international players who were threatened by their club that if they made themselves available for Samoa on during the AI's back in the early 2000s their contract would not be renewed. This sort of thing has been rife in the past, and I have seen nothing that convinces me it does not still happen.

There is a big difference between clubs being reluctant to release PI/Argentinian players during the AIs and clubs telling/hinting at England players to have the summer off. The former is nasty, and seems to be on it's way out in England (though I've heard that, allegedly, Argentinians are being told to choose between the 4N or the AIs in France) but the latter is unheard of.

I can't think of a single occasion/player that I've thought this has happened, and I can't, in a million years, imagine even the most ********ed of the DoRs in the premiership pulling this tactic.
If, for example, Cockerill said to Tuilagi that he maybe he shouldn't tour because he's been injured a lot this season then I imagine Tuilagi would tell Cockerill to suck him off, and then report him to the RPA.

Yep Mafi wants to come back and will come back very cheaply especially if Perpignan go down.
As for other signing McAllister seems most likely but an All Black centre seems to be a definitive description for sure

I'd be surprised to see him back. He is 3 years older now and was a bit of a headless chicken.

Latest posts