• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HES announces Rugby League Live for PS3/360

what are rugby league games like?

are they as fun as the previous union games?

Last edited:
I really like RL3, very fun to play, and the franchise mode in it is good as well, but i like League a lot, so i may be playing through rose tinted spectacles

]
what are rugby league games like?

are they as fun as the previous union games?

Honestly, the Rugby Union games are a lot better. Better graphics, better game play and better commentary. I think that the league games look kinda low budget and focus on the licensing too much. Don't burn me for this its just my opinion.
This is an example of the next gen graphics for the league games:
screen3.jpg

a screenshot of the Rugby League Live game from Xbox 360

Last edited:
I was put off the Rugby League series brought forward by Sidhe with Rugby League 2. The control of play was diabolical, although I have heard that this is significantly better in Rugby League 3 for the Wii. I'll be waiting for many, many opinions on this game before buying.

I believe Sidhe, like any developer given time to learn the lessons and pitfalls of a sports gaming series, were probably not far away from turning the corner (control wise) had they worked on this license, so I'm not holding much hope out for a team having their first crack. Will be happy to be wrong and for this to be a League game that I'll play again.

ragged the

]

Honestly, the Rugby Union games are a lot better. Better graphics, better game play and better commentary. I think that the league games look kinda low budget and focus on the licensing too much. Don't burn me for this its just my opinion.
This is an example of the next gen graphics for the league games:
screen3.jpg

a screenshot of the Rugby League Live game from Xbox 360

Actually that's not an example of next gen graphics for a league game, its an example of mid develeopmental graphics for a "next" (what you mean is "current") gen league game. The final product may look almost nothing like that. Furthermore, even if it does, you still can't compare it with any current gen Union game, because there are none yet and HB haven't produced any dev shots of their own in progress ***le.

Other than that I generally agree that the pittance of Union games released have been generally better than the similarly small number of league games released, but not by much and not always. For instance Rugby 2004 was possibly the worst sports game ever released by any company any where, while RL 1 was relatively enjoyable. Rugby 2005, 06 and 08 were improvements and generally more fun than Rugby League 2, but that game still had a much better franchise system and some more imaginative game play mechanics (the passing system in RL 2 was a more clever idea than the simple button hold of the EA ***les - even if it wasn't all that well implemented).

Ultimately I think that RL actually has the potential to make a far superior video game than any union counter part simply because the programmers don't have to worry about coming up with a solution to the incredible complexities of rucks and scrums - they can really just focus on perfecting running, passing tackling and kicking. Although I prefer union, I think League games will end up being far superior given the more black and white nature of the sport and its greater potential for video game translation.

Last edited:
Rugby League 2 was a crushing disappointment. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by a game.

Actually that's not an example of next gen graphics for a league game, its an example of mid develeopmental graphics for a "next" (what you mean is "current") gen league game. The final product may look almost nothing like that.

A lot of people seem to be saying this but surely you have to put that down to wishful thinking. The game comes out September 2nd and had already been classified in Australia in late June - suggesting that these screens are from the final product. Also, why announce a game and then release 'mid-development' screenshots without classifying that they are a work in progress? Given the track record of the developer I can see this being nothing but a big step backwards for RL games.

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to be saying this but surely you have to put that down to wishful thinking. The game comes out September 2nd and had already been classified in Australia in late June - suggesting that these screens are from the final product. Also, why announce a game and then release 'mid-development' screenshots without classifying that they are a work in progress? Given the track record of the developer I can see this being nothing but a big step backwards for RL games.

My understanding was that a game can be classified and then graphically, sonically tweaked etc. As long as the actual content does not change in relation to anything classifiable (logos, sponsorships, characters, kills, tackle animations etc).

If Mario is about at any stage, can you tell me if I've heard wrong about this? Maybe just a general clarification?

Has a publisher for RLL in the UK been announced yet?

Just because the screenshots look a little bit dodgy, doesn't mean the game graphics will be. Screenshots are never as good as the final product and a company such as Big Ant isn't going to invest much money into creating a decent screen capturing program.

Looking forward to this game alot and will be buying it when it comes out on september 2. I've heard from others playing on the ps2 that the RL game is shite i hope that this is a vast improvement.

Hey dan we can play St.Helens vs Wigan online if you got a xbox360 :D

Olyy like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look who has come crawling from under his rock now Wigan are top of the league! ;)

So there's no chance of anyone getting an early look at this game then aye?.

Haven't being really following the super league since channel 9 has the rights and we can't get ch9 here dan but thats good news all the same :) . Pre-ordered it on friday and you're supposed to get a rugby ball if you pre-order but i dunno whats happening with that. :)

Latest posts