• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I quit playing for awhile

College Football v the Pros,

Come on guys - this is easy.

In the USA you start playing football seriously in High School. Once you leave High School, and given that you are good enough you will be picked up by a College. College in the USA is the equilvalent of a University in the UK, OZ, NZ etc.

So College players are aged between 17 and 22. I am not sure if there is a cut-off age for College players - I have asked the question but haven't received a convincing answer. There must be one though otherwise ex-pros could go back to school and play College ball.

Are Pro teams better then College teams? Of course they are. It is like men playing boys. Opps IT is men v boys. Bigger, stronger, faster, more experienced, better resourced, full-time professionals against part-time players (they are supposed to be studying full-time even if this doesn't always happen).

Compare Super12 v NPC? Nah - more like Test XV v University XV.

teh Mite,

"NCAA... If that's what floats your boat. Dunno how Ametuers can be more fun than pros in a video game."

Learn how to spell mate, you are embarassing me!

Originally posted by BigTen@Jun 29 2005, 09:05 PM
College in the USA is the equilvalent of a University in the UK, OZ, NZ etc.

Nah - more like Test XV v University XV.
Regarding rugby (even soccer) at University level it is completely different overseas. If players are good, they don't actually play at University, they play on Clubs (either 2nd/3rd sides or Colts depending on age and ability. Maybe even first side.)

Granted, there might be an exception of a couple schools known for their academics as well as athletics, but it's not really comparable to football in the States, where the vast majority of players get recognized for their college career.

If you offset a college side with potential 'rookie of the year' abilities in every position, they might be able to hold their own (not necessarily win) against one of the lower NFL teams.

Originally posted by Los Lover@Jul 1 2005, 02:24 PM
jeez isn't this a rugby 2005 thread?
Point taken, Lover.

I'm still reguarly playing the game -- after a good month and a half off. Probably two months off.

I'm almost at the point where I might need to start tweaking stats, but I'm still enjoying it. Nearly done with the Super 12, beating everyone except for a draw against the Tah's. C'mon Bulls!

Originally posted by davidson@Jun 28 2005, 03:32 AM
american football is just a metaphor for the history of the united states.

dressing up in tight trousers and rediculous headgear, calling yourselves the patriots, cowboys, redskins and browns and poceding to take other peoples land by force. whilst at the same time creating the biggest fanfare imaginable to distract the viewer from the actual isssue of the game.
If you want to go that route, it can be considered a metaphor for almost every country on Earth, not just the USA.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Jul 2 2005, 06:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Jul 2 2005, 06:13 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
@Jul 1 2005, 02:24 PM
jeez isn't this a rugby 2005 thread?
Point taken, Lover.

I'm still reguarly playing the game -- after a good month and a half off. Probably two months off.

I'm almost at the point where I might need to start tweaking stats, but I'm still enjoying it. Nearly done with the Super 12, beating everyone except for a draw against the Tah's. C'mon Bulls! [/b]
Okay - Caps - go with a good team, so you have got pace and strength and you Can hold onto the ball etc.....BUT....pump up the best teams and put those players into said teams...i.e. create about 90 very, very good players....but not for you....maybe just a couple and give them say 93 for pace tops!!!

The game gets very good (for what it is) and when you play those crunch games.....you can have quite amazing pressure and play applied on you by players who are armed with 6-7 created players on their team, three stars each etc etc....

My decision to buy a medium WL team and create such a "Super" world league has resulted in my Umaga-led team bowing out with a game over, after I continued to dabble with the team and suffered two shock losses that cost me the tournament crown AND the knockout trophy required to replenish my points. I don't cheat save...SO...Game over!!!! GAME OVER!! After five seasons.....great stuff!

Losses were to Crusaders and to London Wasps....this proves my theory...as both games were high scoring and narrowly lost (Crusaders 27-24 me) and BOTh teams were the MOST pumped up....all class players or created players....including realistic out and out attacking gas that the AI can back - this largely stops infield running etc as AI realises it is a genuine chance if it goes for it.

Games are much better. Then you win the toher games you should. Creates tighter tournament.

When you create, just overcreate similar players as stats stay the same. It should only take 1-2 hours (I know, but worth it) to create ALL 90 players (make sure they go into relevant international teams at same time....won't happen automatically.

Hey Caps - you're american eh? I've got a bit of an old school American set-up as my New school set-up if you catch my drift...got a draper tripod screem amd an infocus x1.....me and my mate have been playing the occasional World Cup or Tri Nations, playing on the same side.....and it's pretty mean my brother!!

<

However the League benfits the most. It has flaws (Rugby league PS2 game - stacey jones here), but on a big image the peoblem of camera not tracking to other side is eliminated and the game probably goes from a 7 to an 8 out of ten.
The image on the infocusx1 with good leads is incredible for the price eh? My whole set-up is $500 US.

Originally posted by Stars and Stripes Prop+Jul 3 2005, 02:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stars and Stripes Prop @ Jul 3 2005, 02:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-davidson
@Jun 28 2005, 03:32 AM

dressing up in tight trousers and rediculous headgear, calling yourselves the patriots, cowboys, redskins and browns and poceding to take other peoples land by force. whilst at the same time creating the biggest fanfare imaginable to distract the viewer from the actual isssue of the game.
If you want to go that route, it can be considered a metaphor for almost every country on Earth, not just the USA. [/b]
well perhaps, i wonder if iraq would see it that way?

i think an early tyson fight could better describe their currnet foreign relations. like when tyson "liberated" mike jameson in 46 seconds in 86.

lets just hope north korea doesnt turn out to be your buster douglas.

Originally posted by davidson+Jul 4 2005, 08:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidson @ Jul 4 2005, 08:17 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Stars and Stripes Prop@Jul 3 2005, 02:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-davidson

If you want to go that route, it can be considered a metaphor for almost every country on Earth, not just the USA.

i think an early tyson fight could better describe their currnet foreign relations. like when tyson "liberated" mike jameson in 46 seconds in 86.

lets just hope north korea doesnt turn out to be your buster douglas. [/b]
HAHA can't dissagree with you there. Dont even get me started on Iraq
<
, I can't stand that idiotic cock we have as our "President".

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Jun 25 2005, 05:56 AM
GT4... meh - Too boring and repettitive. Nice graphics though.

NCAA... If that's what floats your boat. Dunno how Ametuers can be more fun than pros in a video game.

Rugby 2005... Gets boring after a while. Left for a couple of weeks and it regains a bit of spark. Glad I didn't pay for it. Roll on the sequel.
I'll tell you how ametuers can be more exciting than the pros....they are not being paid to play!!

They play for the love and the passion.

Besides, College Football is religion over here, even more so than Pro Football.
<

Originally posted by davidson+Jul 4 2005, 08:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidson @ Jul 4 2005, 08:17 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-davidson

lets just hope north korea doesnt turn out to be your buster douglas. [/b]
I agree with you on Iraq, however........

NO country, is ever going to be our Buster Douglas.
<

Originally posted by loratadine@Jun 25 2005, 11:43 PM
the only thing which annoys me bout american sport is that some americans think that it is the only sport and they turn there nose up to footie and rugby,

however those two sports are global, for example 1.5 billion people will tune in to watch the "soccer" wc final thats alot more than any american sport can attract, yes the nfl or whatever its called may be big in the usa and canada but thats prob the only country in the world where that is there national sport, whereas "soccer" is the national sport is almost every single country - and thats another thing that annoys me is that they call soccer - soccer. Soccer is football - thats what it is called in most countries, it was set up long before american football as we like to call it.

I however dont mind hockey, or basketball but i find baseball a little dry.

ive never seen college football - but ive heared that it is alot more passion involved, and that rivalries are often fierce.
I really truly do not give a **** about soccer since it was pretty much a girls' sport here when I was growing up.

Ya know, the one thing about Americans that you apparently don't understand is that we don't give a **** what anybody else likes. So what if billions of people love soccer? We DO NOT CARE!!!! We like what we like. Soccer is a sport with a loyal following here, but it's not big. Fine. I either like it or I don't. NASCAR is much better than Formula 1. Drivers can actually pass each other and make contact and they do turn right twice a year when they run the road courses.

We like college football because we like college football. The games are great and most of us have a loyalty to our university.

Rugby is a great game, but the video game is pretty bad compared to Madden and NCAA football so I too will be playing football once the new games come out.

And one more thing. I know it's not in the quoted post, but why does Iraq have to enter the equation and what does that have to do with the original comment about college football?

Originally posted by Boltman+Jul 6 2005, 02:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boltman @ Jul 6 2005, 02:11 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Jun 25 2005, 05:56 AM

NCAA... If that's what floats your boat. Dunno how Ametuers can be more fun than pros in a video game.

Rugby 2005... Gets boring after a while. Left for a couple of weeks and it regains a bit of spark. Glad I didn't pay for it. Roll on the sequel.
I'll tell you how ametuers can be more exciting than the pros....they are not being paid to play!!

Besides, College Football is religion over here, even more so than Pro Football.
<
[/b]
I understand the passion (now at least, I knew a lot less about college football before this thread started) - But I was refering to video games.

Just figured that the top leage is alwasy better suited to games rather than the lower skill levels (Example - Who actually plays the lower league teams for more than 1 season in Fifa rather than a Premiership side)

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Jul 8 2005, 12:27 PM
Just figured that the top leage is alwasy better suited to games rather than the lower skill levels
Not always. Championship Manager/Football Manager is just as much fun when playing with lower league teams. The point is that they provide more of a challenge than just using the best players all the time.

Originally posted by Teh Mite+Jul 8 2005, 11:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 8 2005, 11:27 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Boltman@Jul 6 2005, 02:11 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Jun 25 2005, 05:56 AM

<
I understand the passion (now at least, I knew a lot less about college football before this thread started) - But I was refering to video games.

Just figured that the top leage is alwasy better suited to games rather than the lower skill levels (Example - Who actually plays the lower league teams for more than 1 season in Fifa rather than a Premiership side) [/b]
College football is so much different that it is actually quite a lot of fun to play the game. Also, since players can only play four years you have to add recruiting to the game too. Sometimes they go to the NFL early, or they skip class and you have to suspend them. A whole diffeent experience than the pros.

THe best part is you don't have to worry about renegotiating contracts with your players.

Originally posted by Boltman+Jul 6 2005, 02:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boltman @ Jul 6 2005, 02:23 AM)</div>
Originally posted by davidson@Jul 4 2005, 08:17 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-davidson

lets just hope north korea doesnt turn out to be your buster douglas.
I agree with you on Iraq, however........

NO country, is ever going to be our Buster Douglas.
<
[/b]
vietnam (well half of it really) gave you a pretty good sh*t kicking though didnt they.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Jul 9 2005, 01:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Jul 9 2005, 01:39 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Jul 8 2005, 12:27 PM
Just figured that the top leage is alwasy better suited to games rather than the lower skill levels
Not always. Championship Manager/Football Manager is just as much fun when playing with lower league teams. The point is that they provide more of a challenge than just using the best players all the time. [/b]
That game always bored me anyway , but I'll take your word for it!
<

Originally posted by Confused@Jul 8 2005, 03:26 PM
Ya know, the one thing about Americans that you apparently don't understand is that we don't give a **** what anybody else likes.
And that is the last time Confused will be speaking on behalf of all Americans.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jul 12 2005, 10:36 AM
For the most part it's true isn't it?
Kaftka, your slogans are gold.

As for the statement - I have issues with the way it is phrased. The truth of it is pretty universal because EVERY nationality tends to prefer it's own (anything).

If I were to go into Anytown, New Zealand and start talking up the NFL, I'd think the locals would do one of a couple things:

1. Tell me to f*** off.
2. Listen for a split-second and then start championing their sports.
3. One weirdo in the corner would join in with me and we'd keep talking.

If you were to come to Anytown, USA and start talking rugby, that weirdo in the corner would be me.

My two cents for the topic: I've quit playing it since writing this last post. I'll continue playing in the next day or so.

Jesus Christ Captain it says youve been trying to post in this topic for about 15 minutes on the Online list - this must be one hell of a novel your writing...

Latest posts