• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland need fresh blood

S

shazbooger

Former captain Keith Wood believes Ireland need an injection of new blood in the Six Nations to help them recover from a dismal World Cup. Wood cited a lack of experienced alternatives in France as "one of the failures of Ireland's campaign". "We haven't had the strength in depth in Ireland but you'll never really know if the guys are up to it until they get a chance," he told BBC Sport. "It's a difficult route but you have to give them game time at some stage." Wood does not advocate a clear-out, however, nor expect coach Eddie O'Sullivan to make major changes to the team that failed to get out of their group in France.

"What used to me annoy me was when we'd play, say, Canada in an autumn international and we'd change 12 guys, which is unfair on those coming in," he explained. "You want to try to blood them one at a time, with the experienced guys beside them. "We need more strength in depth because we are struggling in some areas. We could do with a few more front-rowers coming out the woodwork, for example." The training squad O'Sullivan announced last week featured young props Cian Healy and Tony Buckley, although neither are regular starters for Leinster and Munster respectively. If veterans Marcus Horan and John Hayes are likely to remain in situ for the opening Six Nations encounter against Italy on 2 February, one player pressing strongly for a starting spot is Leinster hooker Bernard Jackman.

Ireland will have a Wood lookalike in their side if Jackman (left) plays Jackman is hardly a spring chicken at 31, and won four caps previously on tours to Japan in 2005 and Argentina in 2007. But he is set to challenge incumbent Jerry Flannery for Wood's old number two jersey. "I remember doing a couple of sessions with him years ago, and I have to say the change in his throwing is startling," Wood said. "He is not as good a thrower as Jerry Flannery, but he has developed a very competent throw. "He has worked really hard, and he looks fitter than he was - he was a bit heavy before. "What he does have over the majority of the Ireland forwards is the ability to take a ball at full speed, which means he is a viable addition, and a valuable one. I would say he would be there or thereabouts."

Wood also advocates changing the established back-row trio of Simon Easterby, David Wallace and Denis Leamy, the latter playing at blind-side for Munster of late rather than the number eight spot he occupies for Ireland. All three remain in the squad, but will come under pressure from Ulster flanker Neil Best, Munster veteran Alan Quinlan, recalled open-side Johnny O'Connor and emerging Leinster number eight Jamie Heaslip. "I would say our balance has been wrong in the back row for a while," Wood explains. "I think we need an out-and-out seven and eight. At the moment we are playing a mixture of them, and we don't have a huge amount of height in the back row. "At times I would still like to see Alan Quinlan get the nod. He is such a nuisance to play against. He is a tall guy, an excellent line-out forward and he is very aggressive."

A lack of aggression in their decisive pool fixtures against France and Argentina was one factor Wood identified for Ireland's lacklustre World Cup showing. But he believes the majority of a team that have been together for many years will be given the chance to prove that their success of the recent past - three Triple Crowns in four years - can be revived. "An awful lot of this team won't be there in four years' time, that is for certain," noted Wood, who retired after the last of his 58 caps at the 2003 World Cup. "I was very disappointed by the World Cup but I think they will get a chance of redemption now. It will be interesting to see whether they can take it."

The fixture list should help their cause, with home games against Italy, Scotland and Wales, although the Irish must travel to Wood's Six Nations favourites France, and World Cup runners-up England. So could Ireland descend on Twickenham, where they have won on their last two visits, on the tournament's final day with a chance of claiming the championship? "I'd be surprised," adds a pessimistic Wood. "I suppose it could happen but there is no carry-over of momentum from the World Cup to suggest that might be the case. "But they are a good team and if they play properly they could do well. It depends on how they start. If they do all the hard work, get momentum and remember what they are capable of, it won't be hard to put it behind them. "I often think if something goes wrong, and the players are not good enough, it is a very long road. But I don't think that is necessarily the case with this team." [/b]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...ish/7199332.stm

Well with Sexton fracturing his thumb that's some of the new talent already gone, although what odds that the gimp still would have gone with Wallace on the bench?

Ahhh I like Keith Wood. He's not as blindly optimistic as Jonathan Davies or that Scotish muppet (Armstrong is it?) but not as crass as Brian Moore (I like him too).

I'd agree that Ireland need new talent as BOD and co will not be around for much longer but I just wonder whether Ireland have that new talent.

Latest posts