• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland RWC 11 Thread

I like Trimble a lot but just think Fitzy has that bit extra. Trimble is very good at what he does makes tackles and yards in equal measure and puts in a huge shift.

Jones should be our FB he's been fantastic for Munster since he's come back from Injury and Kearney hasn't been good since 2009, he's been good under the highball but that's about it.

Felix Jones was very good against Leinster saved Munster from conceding about 3 tries. Only problem is experience. Kearney wasn't at the level of '09 but wasn't bad either. Was playing wel before injury just because George Hook said he was bad doesn't mean he was. He's guaranteed to be solid in defense and has the safest hands in world rugby. Also has experience at the top level. Certianly will be tough to call.

I'd like to see how Kearney gets on playing for the stormers. We haven't seen Jones play nearly as well as Kearney did in 08/09 but we haven't seen Kearney play that well either recently. He's still been alright though. Jones certainly makes a good case for being picked in the starting xv. I definitely think it should be between those two though. Earls and Fitz are wingers

There's no point in talking about how well Kearney was playing or how well he could play. We know for a fact that Jones is the form fullback. It would be daft starting Kearney straight back from injury with the hope he may play as well as he was two years ago.

EDIT: When and if he plays for the Stormers then we can properly decide who should starts otherwise Jones deserves the 15 jersey.

Last edited:
Felix Jones was very good against Leinster saved Munster from conceding about 3 tries. Only problem is experience. Kearney wasn't at the level of '09 but wasn't bad either. Was playing wel before injury just because George Hook said he was bad doesn't mean he was. He's guaranteed to be solid in defense and has the safest hands in world rugby. Also has experience at the top level. Certianly will be tough to call.

This offends me, if there ever comes a time when that complete and utter C#%K has any influence over me(rugby or otherwise) I'll felate a horse then jump out my window.

I'd like to see how Kearney gets on playing for the stormers.

Actually it seems he might go to an Australian team. Which is much better as it will help his counter attacking. The I.R.F.U. obviously wants him to get as many games as possible. Which means he'll probably go to the Reds or the 'Tahs. Since the 'Tahs have Beale he'll probably go to the Reds. That would be pretty strange since Cooper defends at fullback which means Kearney would defend at out-half.

Anybody know when the Official squad announcement is, Kidney always seems to be last on stuff like this?

So I was thinking that'd I'd like a new head coach after the World Cup. Here's who I'd see as the potential candidates:

1) Mark McCall
Currently head coach of Saracens. Has won both the Magner's League and the Aviva Premiership as head coach. Despite that, he left Ulster in a pretty poor state and inherited a team built by Brendan Vetner that hadcome very close to taking the Premiership a year earlier. Not a bad coach, but most certainly be my personal choice.

2) Conor O'Shea
Director of Rugby at Harlequins. Despite it being his first season, O'Shea led Quins to European success with their Challenge Cup success. Quins have played good rugby and look like a team on the up. They've been patchy this season though, certainly a concern for a potential Ireland coach. He'll have won a lot of admirers for leading his side to a famous victory in Thomond Park and his quality analysis for RTÉ while surrounded by idiots. Might be a bit too soon for Conor, 2015 could be a bit more realistic when he has a bit more experience.

3) Michael Bradley
Bradley left Connacht at the end of last season having led them to a challenge cup semi-final. Despite that, Bradley never really turned many heads in his time out west. Apparently a good backs coach, it's hard to judge how well he did considering the lack of resources available to him at Ireland's weakest province. He'll be starting at Edinburgh next season, so I guess he doesn't see himself in contention for the top job. Neither do I tbh. Hopefully he can do well in Scotland.

4) Tony McGahan
Has had to fill some big shoes since Kidney took the Ireland job. The Australian has taken an ageing Munster squad and won two Magner's Leagues with them as well as taking them to a Heineken Cup semi final or two. Players like Felix Jones, Connor Murray, James Coughlan and Danny Barnes owe a lot to McGahan, having all been given first team chances under him. Despite this, McGahan has faced a lot of criticism from inside Munster. Their relative failures in the Heineken cup, an underperforming pack and a period of Leinster dominance over them (recently broken, sigh) has lead the brave and the faithful to turn on their man. His unpopularity in Munster will make it difficult for him to be considered for the job.

5) Joe Schmidt
The former Clermont coach came to Dublin last year and enjoyed a less than encouraging start. The loss to Treviso was a low point, but since them Schmidt has enjoyed great success. A Heineken Cup victory, a league final, the blooding of a whole host of new players and a great style of rugby has made Schmidt probably the most highly rated coach in Europe. However, Schmidt took a long time to get up and running with Leinster, something that isn't well looked upon on the international stage. He also doesn't seem that keen on leaving the club game at the moment.

6) Brian McLaughlin
The most overlooked of the possible Irish candidates. McLaughlin has taken Ulster from a massive low to looking like a team that is only a few signings away from challenging for domestic honours and looking to get out of the group stages of the Heineken cup on a regular basis. He's rated as a good coach and the plethora of young Ulster players coming up at the moment would stand testament to that. Ulster haven't been all that competitive in the big games this year though, something that would certainly stand against McLaughlin in the selection of the next Ireland boss. It's also worth considering how much of the progress of Ulster is down to the work of David Humphreys and the signings he's made.

7) Michael Cheika
The current Stade Francais coach is a legend in Leinster. He gave the province the hard nose needed to compete at the highest level and delivered silverware in the shape form of a Magners League and a Heineken Cup. Cheika has a reputation of playing win at all costs rugby, something that would certainly be useful an the ultra competitive arena of the 6 nations. Cheika is well known for being a bit abrasive and perhaps this wouldn't go down with the IRFU.

They're all the ones I can realistically think of at the mo. I'd probably go for Cheika all things considered. Proven coach, knows the Irish game, ticks the relevant boxes.

Discuss.

Out of all them I think Schmidt or O'Shea is the best and I'd go for Schmidt as I think Conor needs a crack at a province first. Certainly wouldn't mind seeing him here at Munster. McCall I don't think is a great coach and as you pointed out Feic he was lucky with a thing or 2.

I'd agree with Conor O'Shea. I have him in penciled in to get the job in 2015. The Munster job could well be his within a season or two imo. What's the opinion of Cheika like down south munstermuffin? I can't see him being all that popular in that part of the world.

I would love to see O'Shea as Ireland coach. He's the voice of reason in the RTÉ panel and has proved his worth with Harlequins. I'm a big fan.

I think conor murray is a serious contender at this stage. He had a cracking season and he could be in line for a place on the bench at least, possibly with reddan starting.

I'd agree with Conor O'Shea. I have him in penciled in to get the job in 2015. The Munster job could well be his within a season or two imo. What's the opinion of Cheika like down south munstermuffin? I can't see him being all that popular in that part of the world.
Lot of respect but just think he comes across too arrogant and well I think (while he did do a good job) that Gibbs was the real drive behind Leinster's success. I personally wouldn't want him there and I wouldn't want Tony McGahan either. As I said Schmidt has this nice calmness about him and well has his team playing superb brand of rugby. And O'Shea I think will get the job eventually but I just think (and think he knows this) that no matter what he achieves abroad the only way he can seal the deal is by coming to Munster/Leinster and being successful.

But I expect Kidney just needs to make QF and he will get a 2 year extension

Latest posts