• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad 2018/2019

Almost no chance is going a bit far for Ross, there can't be a massive gap between him and Carty and it's not unlikely we take three 10s especially if we want to give Sexton a proper rest. It's also not unlikely that Sexton misses some part of the European/Pro14 knockout games given his injury record, if Byrne steps in and plays well then it's a big boost to his chances. And anyway with Carbery and Sexton as our no1/2 injuries are practically inevitable given their track records.

Anyway the pre-RWC training camp has a big impact on World Cup squads which makes it much harder to call from a fan perspective.

I don't think Adam Byrne has a massive chance but if I was picking the squad he'd be right up there. We'll see who lines up against Ulster but Byrne has probably established himself as first up after the Lowe/Larmour/Kearney trio in the Leinster back three which given how often we can't pick Lowe because of annoying rules and how often Larmour is pushed to 15 to cover for Kearney's never-ending injuries is a pretty great position to be in in terms of getting on the pitch in big games. He'd probably be behind guys like O'Loughlin (another guy who Schmidt/Farrell should give another look) and Tomane who can cover multiple positions on the bench but that's not the end of the world.

Either way it's mad that Jack McGrath isn't in these squads given he was one of the top props in the world a few years ago but it's probably the best way to go in terms of numbers up front. Amazing how the chips fall sometimes.

On Ross Byrne. I'm a huge fan but rest will not matter as these guys won't see privincep until November after this May.
Sexton is a tad out of firm so in most games he will play 70 mins or so. And I can't see Ross bridging the gap playing in a game that doesn't matter too much here or there.
Yes very little between Carty and himself but Carty will be in limelight alot more. And Schmidt did hint at 2 10s with Murray as an option before and John Cooney.

On Jack McGrath you are right how mad it is he went from so high up to where he is now but is probably a fair reflection of his form. I accept injuries played a part but at moment he is where he is.

Hi all, just a curious Kiwi here.

I just want to brush up on my Irish rugby knowledge and I thought you lads could help out.

Firstly, I really enjoyed watching Ireland last year, they were the best team easily, so I would like to know what has happened, so I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind having a stab at!

1. Why has there been such a sharp decline in performances compared to just 5 months ago?

2. What players aren't performing well and who should be picked/dropped in their place?

3. What tactically is the problem and how can it be resolved?

4. What's your honest opinion heading into the world cup of Ireland's chances?

5. Do you think Joe Schmidt could possibly be just keeping his cards close to his chest?

Cheers.

1. Why has there been such a sharp decline in performances compared to just 5 months ago?
England stepped up their game big time. Wales were chasing a slam. Against Italy, Ireland rang the changes to improve squad depth. Injuries lead to disjointed performances. I think 34 players were used in the 5 games.

2. What players aren't performing well and who should be picked/dropped in their place?
The half backs were well below par. The pack carried poorly. Jack Conan and Dan Leavy could be the main beneficiaries.

Hard to know. Ireland are perhaps a bit predictable. When players are on form, it's hard to stop but when a little off the pace they don't challenge defenders enough.

Win their pool and it's a likely quarter final against South Africa. If on form, that's a very winnable game.

5. Do you think Joe Schmidt could possibly be just keeping his cards close to his chest?
It's possible. After the New Zealand game, all focus turned to the World Cup. Ireland are maybe guilty of taking their eyes off the ball in the 6 Nations. If there's a positive to be taken from it, at least problems have surfaced now and not at the World Cup unlike in 2007. There's time to find solutions.

I just want to brush up on my Irish rugby knowledge and I thought you lads could help out.

Firstly, I really enjoyed watching Ireland last year, they were the best team easily, so I would like to know what has happened, so I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind having a stab at!

Cheers.
1. Honestly don't know, obviously all teams go through poor form, I think in our case Sexton and Murray both fell of a cliff in terms of form along with a few other things that all came together. Picking Henshaw at fullback against England was a terrible decision that Owen Farrell took to full advantage. I think losing at home in such a convincing manner really knocked the confidence of the squad and we never really recovered. I don't really think it's worth talking about the Wales game as much, it was one of the worst Ireland performances in recent memory, up there with the 60-0 against NZ in 2012 and the entire 2007 World Cup.

2. As I said, Sexton and Murray were both generally very poor. Sexton had some times where he looked good (and a lot of time where he was awful), while Murray was consistently poor. From a long term view I'd be more worried about Murray, he hasn't played well since he got back from what seemed to be a fairly serious injury. The pack in general underperformed, of the starters (some of the guys who only played a limited time like Conan or Henderson were very good) arguably only Ryan and O'Mahony had good tournaments. Healy was good as well for the most part but was really poor against Wales. Others like Furlong weren't bad but weren't at their best. To be fair to the backs I thought 11-15 generally played well, Aki was his one-dimensional self but they all did well with what little they were given. If you were looking at players who could be dropped Best doesn't really influence games at his age, but we probably wont change captain now. Other than maybe Murraybajd bringing in Henshaw when he gets back for Aki there isn't much I'd want to do.

3. I think it's a valid criticism that we can be a bit one-dimensional especially without Ringrose. I don't think we can just wave a magic wand and fix it though, it's a game that suits the players we have, throwingnit out the window after a few bad games would be silly.

4. We should beat Scotland and the likely Qf against SA is very winnable. Who knows after that. I don't think I can take another quater-final though.

5. I don't think we were 100% focused on the tournament, we gave up on the ***le after the England game.

It's not all negative though, up front Dave Kilcoyne is in the form of his life and has established himself in the 23, we were pushed at lock and we mostly found answers, Roux and Dillane stepped up. Beirne missing most of the tournament injured was a pity though. In the backrow, it doesn't necessarily reflect well on the performances that we went into the tournament with a 3-way debate at seven and now that we're coning out of it Dan Leavy would probably be the undisputed choice despite not playing at all. Jack Conan really stepped up as well which is great. At 10 Carty made his debut, and looked good, another option at 10 is always positive, but I can't see us doing much without an inform Sexton in Japan. Larmour had a good tournament as well which was a big positive.

1. Honestly don't know, obviously all teams go through poor form, I think in our case Sexton and Murray both fell of a cliff in terms of form along with a few other things that all came together. Picking Henshaw at fullback against England was a terrible decision that Owen Farrell took to full advantage. I think losing at home in such a convincing manner really knocked the confidence of the squad and we never really recovered. I don't really think it's worth talking about the Wales game as much, it was one of the worst Ireland performances in recent memory, up there with the 60-0 against NZ in 2012 and the entire 2007 World Cup.

2. As I said, Sexton and Murray were both generally very poor. Sexton had some times where he looked good (and a lot of time where he was awful), while Murray was consistently poor. From a long term view I'd be more worried about Murray, he hasn't played well since he got back from what seemed to be a fairly serious injury. The pack in general underperformed, of the starters (some of the guys who only played a limited time like Conan or Henderson were very good) arguably only Ryan and O'Mahony had good tournaments. Healy was good as well for the most part but was really poor against Wales. Others like Furlong weren't bad but weren't at their best. To be fair to the backs I thought 11-15 generally played well, Aki was his one-dimensional self but they all did well with what little they were given. If you were looking at players who could be dropped Best doesn't really influence games at his age, but we probably wont change captain now. Other than maybe Murraybajd bringing in Henshaw when he gets back for Aki there isn't much I'd want to do.

3. I think it's a valid criticism that we can be a bit one-dimensional especially without Ringrose. I don't think we can just wave a magic wand and fix it though, it's a game that suits the players we have, throwingnit out the window after a few bad games would be silly.

4. We should beat Scotland and the likely Qf against SA is very winnable. Who knows after that. I don't think I can take another quater-final though.

5. I don't think we were 100% focused on the tournament, we gave up on the ***le after the England game.

It's not all negative though, up front Dave Kilcoyne is in the form of his life and has established himself in the 23, we were pushed at lock and we mostly found answers, Roux and Dillane stepped up. Beirne missing most of the tournament injured was a pity though. In the backrow, it doesn't necessarily reflect well on the performances that we went into the tournament with a 3-way debate at seven and now that we're coning out of it Dan Leavy would probably be the undisputed choice despite not playing at all. Jack Conan really stepped up as well which is great. At 10 Carty made his debut, and looked good, another option at 10 is always positive, but I can't see us doing much without an inform Sexton in Japan. Larmour had a good tournament as well which was a big positive.
Wales are after winning a grand slam with Davies and Anscombe as halfbacks. An on form Murray and Carbery pairingp is still very dangerous, I'd still back us on last year's form with Marmion/Cooney with Carbery to beat SA!

My overreacting to the 6 Nations XV:

Larmour, Conway, Ringrose, Henshaw, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray; Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Ryan (c), Toner, Beirne, Leavy, Conan
Replacements: Scannell, Kilcoyne, Porter, Henderson, Stander, Marmion, Carbery, Addison

My overreacting to the 6 Nations XV:

Larmour, Conway, Ringrose, Henshaw, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray; Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Ryan (c), Toner, Beirne, Leavy, Conan
Replacements: Scannell, Kilcoyne, Porter, Henderson, Stander, Marmion, Carbery, Addison

My seriously overreacting to the Six Nations XV: Larmour, Adam Byrne, Ringrose, Tom Farrell, Jacob Stockdale, Noel Reid (Captain), Marmion, Ed Byrne, Sean Cronin, Furlong, Ryan, Henderson, Conan, Leavy, Deegan

Subs: Cian Healy, Ronan Kelleher, Andrew Porter, Devin Toner, Scott Penny, Caolin Blade, Ross Byrne, Rory O'Loughlin

Cheers.

1. It's a combination of a few things. Personally I think fatigue is playing a big part in it. They won the 6N, a series in Australia and the November tests. The players targeted those and between that they've pro14 and big European games. There are other areas like tactics that need improvement.

2. Most players are underperforming.

3. Tactically I think they're too scripted, play too narrow, are not allowed to offload, have too many rucks etc. I'm not a big fan of the tactics but it was successful last year. Teams have come up with solutions this year to stop us.

4. Don't know. I'd say a semi final is a good possibility but we could also lose to the Scots in the first match.

5. Not too many cards. Maybe one or two new plays but he has that in every tournament. The poor displays in the 6 nations could bring in some change. In that regard it might have been a blessing.

Sickening for Dan Leavy who was brilliant as usual in his 10 minute cameo at the weekend.

Opens things up for Sean O'Brien again now. I'd have said his place was in jeopardy given his lack of form. Heard he carried for 5 metres on 8 carries against Ulster which is becoming a trend.

Could Jack O'Donoghue force his way into the reckoning if he ties down the Munster 7 jersey?

Sickening for Dan Leavy who was brilliant as usual in his 10 minute cameo at the weekend.

Opens things up for Sean O'Brien again now. I'd have said his place was in jeopardy given his lack of form. Heard he carried for 5 metres on 8 carries against Ulster which is becoming a trend.

Could Jack O'Donoghue force his way into the reckoning if he ties down the Munster 7 jersey?

Just read the beeb article about Leavy... that is a massive blow. I think Ireland missed him a great deal during the 6N and will go on to miss him at the world cup. The poor guy must be devastated.

Leavy ruled out of the world cup.

Awful news for Leavy. I hate to see good, young players who should be cementing their reputations at a World Cup ruled out by injury.

You always know it's bad when they don't show a replay ...

If it's any consolation, Jack Willis and Beno Obano have recently come back from similarly unpleasant knee injuries ahead of schedule. Hopefully, Leavy will make a similar recovery.

To be fair Jordi was superb Saturday. Certainly enhanced his chances. SOB we know has the game. It more a case can he find it again

SOB obviously has the potential to hit the heights but he's been very ineffective. Ball-carrying has been fairly mediocre and he's been giving away penalties at the breakdown without really winning any ball. I'm not writing him off yet but he might be better suited to an impact role of the bench these days, especially as he covers all three backrow positions. What's obvious is that Leavy and Van Der Flier are much better 7s these days.

Leavy is a massive loss for Ireland, he's our best backrow.

Best of luck to Leavy. Shocking when a player gets an injury like that, especially a young good un. Fingers crossed he can come back.