• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Summer Tour NZ 2022

Honestly, what would provide more benefit to Timoney - potentially matching up in a competitive game against Van Der Flier or playing against the Griquas?
I don't think internationals will be back until late October.

So Van Der Flier will be on his holidays still. But more so financially if Ulster (or any province) lost out on URC knockouts by a few points and these games where lads were missing were that potential gap then financially and on the field it is not good for province.

Proposed rounds they will miss are 2-4 and well may be rested upon returning so round 5 too.

So games guys miss:

Leinster:
Benetton (h)
Ulster (a)
Sharks (h)
Connacht (a) Potentially

Munster:
Dragons (a)
Zebre (h)
Connacht (a)
Bulls (h)

Connacht:
Stormers (a) - Although they in S.A. so may be available
Bulls (a)
Munster (h)
Leinster (h)

Ulster:
Scarlets (a)
Leinster (h)
Ospreys (h)
Lions (a) - Although they in S.A. so may be available

Looking at it Ulster seem to get shortish straw

I think the overwhelming majority of lads who we can expect to call on in a year's time "know the systems" by now, and we always have the six nations to pull together a big.... I hate to use the phrase but Shadow Squad where at least they'd be training in and around the first teamers.

I know and am happy that our system has and always will be national team first even to the detriment of provinces (very carefully managing game time of key players etc), but I think we could really do without this.

Edit: throwing spaghetti at the wall, but would a few wolfhounds games during the November window not have been a shout? Logistically complicated, but still.

I think the overwhelming majority of lads who we can expect to call on in a year's time "know the systems" by now, and we always have the six nations to pull together a big.... I hate to use the phrase but Shadow Squad where at least they'd be training in and around the first teamers.

I know and am happy that our system has and always will be national team first even to the detriment of provinces (very carefully managing game time of key players etc), but I think we could really do without this.

Edit: throwing spaghetti at the wall, but would a few wolfhounds games during the November window not have been a shout? Logistically complicated, but still.
There's a difference between knowing a system and repping it against opposition with different defensive systems.

The URC is going to be so far down most Irish teams list of priorities this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Sexton plays less than 5 games throughout. Realistically Leinster and maybe Ulster are the only squads we have strong enough to compete and if either can't get two wins out of those first four games it'd indicate they don't have the depth required anyway.

All indications I've heard is that internationals will be back by round 3 at the latest. Obviously there's people much more in the know than me. Makes no sense for late October as that's a massive break and then straight back into Nov internationals.

The potential issue arises where the likes of Ulster lose a lot more players to this squad than Leinster as none of the established first team players will be going. So while Leinster have a relatively strong squad for the game in Belfast, Ulster could be missing Lowry, Balacoune, Hume, Timoney, Doak, O'Toole, Sullivan with even McIlroy, Stuart Moore etc. possibilities. That's if it's only youngsters, if older fringe players are included it could be more. Any players Leinster lose are more likely to be fringe players by definition. As I've already said look at how close the playoff positions were last year - Ulster being one disallowed try from a home semi. All points matter.

The URC is trying to make itself a serious competition and has avoided games on international breaks - this seems pretty disrespectful of that ethos and, as an Ulster fan, I would much rather do without it.

Not really a bolter as he is seen as a talent a long time but expect Baloucoune to really cement the spot down.

Frisch will be the man I see as a potential bolter.

From Munster POV surprised Salonoa ahead of Knox and Healy looking odds on to go RWC as a Scot. But hope Crowley gets good time at 10 but that Frawley gets to lead the team

Yeah, a bit OT, but I think there's a very strong chance Healy is gone at the end of this year now. No way Flannery should be ahead of him anyway.

IRFU just writing off the URC?
Between this tour and the IRFU's stand downs for autumn and six nations the clubs are going to be depleted AF this season

IRFU just writing off the URC?
Between this tour and the IRFU's stand downs for autumn and six nations the clubs are going to be depleted AF this season

Apparently have made undertakings to the URC that more frontline players will be available during the tour.

Latest posts