• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland to host 2023 Rugby world cup ?

If Cork gets itself a reasonable stadium we have maybe 6 places we can have games (that's 2 in Dublin, one in each of Cork, Belfast, Limerick and Galway.) Luckily for us the Welsh, Scots, French and English will no doubt take a game or two off us if we were to offer them a few pool games or a quarter final. How obliging of them.

Let's just give it to Argentina.

If Cork gets itself a reasonable stadium we have maybe 6 places we can have games (that's 2 in Dublin, one in each of Cork, Belfast, Limerick and Galway.) Luckily for us the Welsh, Scots, French and English will no doubt take a game or two off us if we were to offer them a few pool games or a quarter final. How obliging of them.

Let's just give it to Argentina.

What six are you thinking of?

I think we should go for it, it'll be our last chance of holding the tournament and we, along with Scotland, are the only "traditional" rugby nation who haven't held it.

What six are you thinking of?

I think we should go for it, it'll be our last chance of holding the tournament and we, along with Scotland, are the only "traditional" rugby nation who haven't held it.

I put two down in Dublin, but more than likely they'd want to use Croker for the final. So maybe three there, but the city shouldn't get three times the games as other centres. Anyway, places would be Thomond, the RDS, the Aviva, the Sportsground, Ravenhill, new Cork Stadium and possibly Croker for the final, although it's a situation I'd prefer to avoid.

From a selfish point of view I'd obviously love to have it.

I put two down in Dublin, but more than likely they'd want to use Croker for the final. So maybe three there, but the city shouldn't get three times the games as other centres. Anyway, places would be Thomond, the RDS, the Aviva, the Sportsground, Ravenhill, new Cork Stadium and possibly Croker for the final, although it's a situation I'd prefer to avoid.

From a selfish point of view I'd obviously love to have it.

Yeah, with the GAA in on it we'd also have the revamped Casement park in Belfast which would work but that'd be about it for the GAA grounds, the rest are far too open for rugby. The Sportsground would need a facelift and a multi-purpose Cork stadium would be a good investment anyway!

Realistically we could have this at best:

Dublin: Croker, Aviva and RDS
Cork: New stadium and a renovated Musgrave
Galway: Sportsground
Belfast: Ravenhill and Casement.

We'd need a bit of help from Wales and England!

Yeah, with the GAA in on it we'd also have the revamped Casement park in Belfast which would work but that'd be about it for the GAA grounds, the rest are far too open for rugby. The Sportsground would need a facelift and a multi-purpose Cork stadium would be a good investment anyway!

Realistically we could have this at best:

Dublin: Croker, Aviva and RDS
Cork: New stadium and a renovated Musgrave
Galway: Sportsground
Belfast: Ravenhill and Casement.

We'd need a bit of help from Wales and England!

Eh Thomond?

Thing is the GAA wont allow any pitch be used freely and will charge alot so if any stadium is used it'll be only be Croker.
Cork won't get any new stadium so you'll be left realistically with:

Dublin: Croker, RDS and Aviva (unlikely they'll allow 3 pitches be hosts all in same area of Dublin)
Belfast: Ravenhill
Limerick: Thomond Park
Possibly Kerry: Fitzgearld Park isn't owned by GAA AFAIK.
Also think Clones in Monaghan. is same.

I think Sportsground is too small and well will be hard to upgrade as Greyhound track and IRFU don't own it.
It's hard to see Musgrave Park getting the upgrade although the Cork crowd will want a piece of it so it will be hard

And the majority of them are terrible.
And I doubt IRFU will plough millions in to upgrading them for sake of few weeks. Also having played intercounty GAA I can easily say some of these stadiums changing room and medical facilities are some of worst in world with benches etc there since before the 60's

oh...unaware so far.
I'd be very happy for Ireland if they got it. Only thing is, it's way too far. Let's just switch and make the Japan one in 2023, and this one in 2019 ey ?
This is going to sound crude and straightforward, but for a small island like Ireland this is quite huge realistically. And since the recession hit hard, this would be a big way to show the world they're still very much relevant. Big props to them if they get it. And plus, it would probably do the country the greatest good, even leading into it, in terms of promoting and expanding the sport's horizons within the territory.
Not to mention the big advantage to the national side being at home of course.

Thumbs up, up, up ! Godspeed Ireland. Sucks it's THAT late though. Maybe I'll be a fkn loser married with a wife I adore more than life itself and children I'd die for and a stable job...oh God nooooo !!!.......2023 that's like...I think some 80's sci-fis thought we'd be casually flying around and interacting with sentient machines and welcoming alien races into our society as workers n all.......

but on gaa pitches Casement in belfast is getting done up to a high standard
so there is two good venues in belfast by then

I really hope Ireland doesn't get it. It would almost certainly mean that there would be yet another RWC won on the basis of winning voted by giving games to Wales or Scotland which seems to happen every other tournament. Also Ireland got poor crowds for their minnow matches in 1999 which should count against them.

Argentina has never had a RWC close at all, has far less issues with stadia and will be a much more professional outfit by then. They are a more logical option, only voting arrangements like we saw from France to beat England for 2007, or New Zealand to beat Japan for 2011 could win Ireland a vote.

I really hope Ireland doesn't get it. It would almost certainly mean that there would be yet another RWC won on the basis of winning voted by giving games to Wales or Scotland which seems to happen every other tournament. Also Ireland got poor crowds for their minnow matches in 1999 which should count against them.

Argentina has never had a RWC close at all, has far less issues with stadia and will be a much more professional outfit by then. They are a more logical option, only voting arrangements like we saw from France to beat England for 2007, or New Zealand to beat Japan for 2011 could win Ireland a vote.
In 1 way I'd argue rugby has grown a lot and it's only since early 00's that rugby has grown so I wouldn't count 1999 against us. But agree with Argentina as they are a more logical and equipped nation. Also I agree in that these offerings to other countries for stadiums to host pool and QF games is something I don't support.

1. The GAA stadiums generally don't have all the fancy appendages of modern arenas - but who cares. Your there to watch/win a match, not admire how plush the seat in the stand or changing room is.
2. The potential venues are numerous... the potential venues that are suitable to rugby and big enough for the expected attendance are less numerous. One could argue all the GAA pitches are completely unsuited due to the pitch size difference.

Definitely in:
- Thomond [26k]
- RDS [18k]
- Ravenhill [18k expanded to 22k]
- Aviva [50k]
- Croke Park [82k] {being realistic, there is only one place the final is gonna be and the GAA would be under immense pressure to behave and not charge through their teeth for it - they also know that a RWC in Ireland would do great things for the economy - that is not to be underestimated.}
subTotal = 198k

Probably in:
- Casement Park [40k] {they are gonna ruin it with an all seater pile of *****e, but officials seem to like that so... but IRFU likely to favour Ravenhill}
- Semple stadium [53k] {larger than the Aviva and in the midst of development...}
- Páirc Uí Chaoimh [meant to be a total rebuild in planning, putting it at 45k capacity]
subTotal = 198+138 = 336k

Possibly in:
- Sportsground [9k] {attendance very very small...}
- Pearse Stadium [33k] {IRFU are likely to favour Sportsground but that capacity is small}
- Musgrave [10k] {albeit with continued development}

Unlikely:
- Páirc na nGael [50k] {its close proximity to Thomond counts against it, despite being nearly twice the size - IRFU likely to favour Thomond}

The 2011 RWC had 13 venues:
Eden park [60k]
Westpac [40k]
Dunedin [30k]
North Harbour [30k]
Hamilton [36k]
Rotorua [34k]
New Plymouth [26k]
Nelson [18k]
Invercargill [20k]
Whangarei [18k]
Napier [22k]
Palmerston [15k]
total=349k

But, as others have said - due to the incestuous relationship between the home unions when it comes to RWC voting [which is pretty narrow-minded if you ask me] - your probably gonna get matches in every Tier 1 nation in Europe!!!

I'm not sure England would be involved, but I could definitely see a "Celtic Nations" world cup, which to be honest is how, I think, they should bid for it. Factor in Mil Stad, Liberty Stadium, PyS, Murrayfield and Firhill/Scotstoun to the above and it's a good mix and would benefit all three nations (though Ireland would, obviously, rather host it itself if it can get the votes).

Though, as others have said, I'd rather see it go to Argentina.

Stadium standards? Basic safety and professionalism Ha! Crowd stampedes, suffocation, the shouts of old men shouting "pull like ****" too drunk to know what sport they are watching and the promise of plan B should be Ireland's Unique Selling Point for the RWC. It would be far better craic than that RDS carrryon where they almost ironically play 'Welcome to the Jungle' in Donnybrook of all places, while the bellend stadium announcer personifies an itch on my scrotum by mispronouncing a basic name and instead of rugby everyone is discussing Upper Middle Class shenanigans like soggy biscuit (BG8 is soggy biscuit champ btw).

1. The GAA stadiums generally don't have all the fancy appendages of modern arenas - but who cares. Your there to watch/win a match, not admire how plush the seat in the stand or changing room is.
2. The potential venues are numerous... the potential venues that are suitable to rugby and big enough for the expected attendance are less numerous. One could argue all the GAA pitches are completely unsuited due to the pitch size difference.

Definitely in:
- Thomond [26k]
- RDS [18k]
- Ravenhill [18k expanded to 22k]
- Aviva [50k]
- Croke Park [82k] {being realistic, there is only one place the final is gonna be and the GAA would be under immense pressure to behave and not charge through their teeth for it - they also know that a RWC in Ireland would do great things for the economy - that is not to be underestimated.}
subTotal = 198k

Probably in:
- Casement Park [40k] {they are gonna ruin it with an all seater pile of *****e, but officials seem to like that so... but IRFU likely to favour Ravenhill}
- Semple stadium [53k] {larger than the Aviva and in the midst of development...}
- Páirc Uí Chaoimh [meant to be a total rebuild in planning, putting it at 45k capacity]
subTotal = 198+138 = 336k

Possibly in:
- Sportsground [9k] {attendance very very small...}
- Pearse Stadium [33k] {IRFU are likely to favour Sportsground but that capacity is small}
- Musgrave [10k] {albeit with continued development}

Unlikely:
- Páirc na nGael [50k] {its close proximity to Thomond counts against it, despite being nearly twice the size - IRFU likely to favour Thomond}

The 2011 RWC had 13 venues:
Eden park [60k]
Westpac [40k]
Dunedin [30k]
North Harbour [30k]
Hamilton [36k]
Rotorua [34k]
New Plymouth [26k]
Nelson [18k]
Invercargill [20k]
Whangarei [18k]
Napier [22k]
Palmerston [15k]
total=349k

But, as others have said - due to the incestuous relationship between the home unions when it comes to RWC voting [which is pretty narrow-minded if you ask me] - your probably gonna get matches in every Tier 1 nation in Europe!!!

For a World Cup you need at least basic facilities and most GAA stadiums don't have that especially when it comes to medical areas.

On your definitely ins: Croke Park isn't a definitely when the bill the last time was nearly â'¬1m a year rent or something. Will IRFU pay that?
Also will IRB be happy about RDS and Aviva being practically next door they that close.

On Casement Park: Again why pay GAA a big bill and especially when a superb looking Ravenhill is close by too.

Semple Stadium and Pairc Ui Chiomh are too old and again on top of the bill for rent will IRFU refurbish all the facilities too.

Your possibly ins:
Sports ground won't be used as it's too small and can't be redeveloped due to Greyhound track and again IRFU don't own it.

Pearce Stadium is owned by GAA.
Musgrave may be updated but will they build it massively just to be used 4 times a year.

Like you've mentioned a lot of GAA and that'd factor in having a huge rental bill as remember RDS is also rented. Add on working around the All Ireland's in September and soccer qualifiers in Aviva.

Latest posts