• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland World Cup 2019 Thread aka "Quarter Final 4"

On J.Kleyn vs Henderson. They're 2 different players again. Kleyn will offer more physicality and will be very good option in some games. But again Henderson is much further down the line of being an international and is the better player. Schmidt picked Kleyn based on a horses for courses mentality.
I agree with this. Has Kleyn been picked with the second string team in mind? Tadhg Beirne, for all his qualities, isn't going to do the grunt work. He'll steal lineouts, jackals for the ball brilliantly and show well in support but won't smash rucks or deliver punishing tackles. That's where Kleyn comes in. Don't be flashy just facilitate others to play their game.

On Bernard Jackman, I quite like him as a pundit even though I completely disagree with his take that Jean Kleyn should be selected over Iain Henderson (assuming that's what he said said I haven't read about it or listened to the podcast).

Lads Luke and Jackman are totally awful pundits.

On J.Kleyn vs Henderson. They're 2 different players again. Kleyn will offer more physicality and will be very good option in some games. But again Henderson is much further down the line of being an international and is the better player. Schmidt picked Kleyn based on a horses for courses mentality.

On the selection I wonder will the weather in Japan dictate selection at times.
Can't think of a single or opponent or weather scenario where I'd want to see Kleyn instead of Henderson, I've got no real issue with him as a player being in the squad because Toner was well off form and having a second proper tighthead lock is apparently important (not an area of the game I know anything about so I'll trust others on that one), the idea that he's anywhere close to Henderson is just taking it all a bit far though. Henderson is much closer to Ryan than he is to either of the guys behind him in my opinion. Not sure I agree that Kleyn is more physical either, he's a big guy but Henderson has much more of an impact.

RTE announced their punditry for the World Cup. Heaslip, Ferris, Michael Lynagh, Maddog, Rob Penney and Ali Kellock should add a bit of variety anyway.

Screenshot_2019-09-12-11-14-56-780_com.android.chrome.jpg

Gary in a state of zen, not giving a **** that it's a Chinese and not a Japanese thing, and is ready to win the world cup. It's made even more impressive considering he's surrounded by Earls and Kilcoyne who are being pure culchies not knowing how to be photographed.

Can't think of a single or opponent or weather scenario where I'd want to see Kleyn instead of Henderson, I've got no real issue with him as a player being in the squad because Toner was well off form and having a second proper tighthead lock is apparently important (not an area of the game I know anything about so I'll trust others on that one), the idea that he's anywhere close to Henderson is just taking it all a bit far though. Henderson is much closer to Ryan than he is to either of the guys behind him in my opinion. Not sure I agree that Kleyn is more physical either, he's a big guy but Henderson has much more of an impact.
No but factor in a crappy day. Toner off form and by all accounts lagging in fitness tests. Kleyn is the better man argubally in crappy weather vs Russia etc. See everyone get hooked up on starters. Its a squad game. If Kleyn has stormers abdaHendersons form dives I think we would all prefer Kleyn

No but factor in a crappy day. Toner off form and by all accounts lagging in fitness tests. Kleyn is the better man argubally in crappy weather vs Russia etc. See everyone get hooked up on starters. Its a squad game. If Kleyn has stormers abdaHendersons form dives I think we would all prefer Kleyn
That's absolutely fair and I have nothing wrong with people playing their way into the team. But just what I'm saying at the moment based on what I've seen from both Henderson and Kleyn both at international and club level, Henderson is a much much better player in almost every way, I honestly don't think he's that far off Ryan's level. (Although he does lack Ryan's consistency to an extent.)

That's absolutely fair and I have nothing wrong with people playing their way into the team. But just what I'm saying at the moment based on what I've seen from both Henderson and Kleyn both at international and club level, Henderson is a much much better player in almost every way, I honestly don't think he's that far off Ryan's level. (Although he does lack Ryan's consistency to an extent.)
And nobody is denying that but Henderson has injury record too and won't play all pool games so it's more keeping a similar style guy to an extent in pool games without changing too much

There's a press conference at 1am so probably not a good sign. He looked great last week so this is ****.

Scan tomorrow apprently.

Likely out against Scotland. As I said, unless it's actually going to rule him out for the whole tournament Schmidt will probably keep him (and rightfully so).

Aki-Ringrose will do us fine anyway.

Also seems Schmidt confirms that his mother died (hence the return to NZ a few weeks ago). Hope he's okay, must be very hard for him and his family now of all times.

Aki Ringrose can beat anyone on their day, and are a great defensive unit, but without Henshaw we're threadbare in midfield and don't have an adequate replacement for either, so hopefully he's not too bad.

Henshaw and Ringrose are cursed though, they've been at the same club for three years now and I can't imagine they've played much more than 10 times together if that, one of them is always crocked.

Aki Ringrose can beat anyone on their day, and are a great defensive unit, but without Henshaw we're threadbare in midfield and don't have an adequate replacement for either, so hopefully he's not too bad.

Henshaw and Ringrose are cursed though, they've been at the same club for three years now and I can't imagine they've played much more than 10 times together if that, one of them is always crocked.
Do you not rate Farrell?

So against Scotland, we're probably looking at something like this:

1. Healy
2. Best (I think we should be looking to split the minutes pretty much evenly between the three hookers but Best will almost definitely start this game, cant see him having the legs to start three consecutive knockouts though but that's another discussion)
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. Ryan
6. O'Mahony (I'd have Conan instead of him)
7. Van Der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Aki
13. Ringrose (again we avoid having to actually pick between the centres because injuries)
14. Earls/Larmour/Conway (Earls hasn't played much rugby, I'd happily see us start either Conway or Larmour instead)
15. Kearney
16. Cronin
17. Kilcoyne
18. Porter (could be Ryan but Porter is playing very well)
19. Beirne (hopefully)
20. Conan (see above)
21. McGrath
22. Carty (no need to rush Joey back, let him get ready for the knockouts against Russia/Samoa)
23. Larmour (unless he starts, then Conway or Farrell)

Strong team overall, should have more than enough to get the win.

Last edited:

Latest posts