• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irelands Call

C

Col

I'm interested to hear what the Irish members of this community think of the song, Ireland's Call.

For me it's the best 'National' song of those belted out before a game. Though I admittedly cant understand a word of La Marseillaise, Il Canto degli Italiani, Land of My Fathers & The Soldier's Song. I struggle with the Flower of Scotland to be honest.

Irelands Call just seems so catchy & patriotic. I can hum the Italian & French anthems though.

I'm interested to hear what the Irish members of this community think of the song, Ireland's Call.

For me it's the best 'National' song of those belted out before a game. Though I admittedly cant understand a word of La Marseillaise, Il Canto degli Italiani, Land of My Fathers & The Soldier's Song. I struggle with the Flower of Scotland to be honest.

Irelands Call just seems so catchy & patriotic. I can hum the Italian & French anthems though. [/b]

What is the background of Ireland's Call? When was it written? By Who? In which context? I remember quite well when Ireland (for RU) had no anthem and this was quite impressive a bit like the spaniards who have no song with their anthem.

But surely you can't expect an Ulster man to sing or be inspired by Amhrán Na bhFiann.

50% of them yes, 50% of them no. Depending on where they stand on their own nationality. Either way, the combined anthem that is Irelands call does the job. Its easy for us simpletons to adopt (I remember being in Lansdowne Rd the first few times it was played, half the crowd didnt have a clue what it was, but we got the hang of it quickly enough), and while it may not be uplifting to the majority of Irish fans, its easy to belt it out home or away.

But surely you can't expect an Ulster man to sing or be inspired by Amhrán Na bhFiann.
[/b]

If it's good enough for the Olympic team, a 32 county team, then it's good enough for the rugby team, **** political corectness, what about the vast majority of the squad whose anthem is not being played!

Munsterman, Amhrán na bhFiain IS our national anthem, no 2 ways about it.

Sure even when Irelands call is being played, the Ulster boys still don't sing it out.
I definitely find Amhrán na bhFiain raises the hairs on the back of my neck when it's being belted out.

But for me - La Marseillaise has always been the one that is the most impressive. Jaysus - Last weekend i was gobsmacked by it when the French were belting it out. Just a wall of patriotic sound!

Sure even when Irelands call is being played, the Ulster boys still don't sing it out.
[/b]

I guess we'll have to see if Trimble is signing it, since he's the only Ulster born player likely to start.

Has Ulster a specific anthem or do they stick to GSQ?
[/b]

God Save the Queen (football anthem), Londonderry Air (Commonwealth Games anthem).

For me the Irish, Scottish, French and Welsh have the best national anthems, all four are motivating and have good tunes!

Flower of Scotland FTW!

I don't see the point in chanting the extra's unless we are playing England though.

Here's a story which might amuse Irish readers.

A couple of weeks ago I was at St Mary's Stadium in Southampton and saw the England v ROI under-21 football match.

The teams came onto the pitch and lined up for the anthems. The announcer said ...

"Ladies and gentlemen, please stand for the anthem of the Republic of Northern Ireland".

Ooooppss!

I shall be at Croke Park on Saturday and am thoroughly looking forward to both Irish anthems. Last year I was lucky enough to be in the Stade de France for the Scotland game and the sound of 80,000 Frenchmen singing The Marseillese was as much a highlight as the game itself.

Here's a story which might amuse Irish readers.

A couple of weeks ago I was at St Mary's Stadium in Southampton and saw the England v ROI under-21 football match.

The teams came onto the pitch and lined up for the anthems. The announcer said ...

"Ladies and gentlemen, please stand for the anthem of the Republic of Northern Ireland".

Ooooppss!

I shall be at Croke Park on Saturday and am thoroughly looking forward to both Irish anthems. Last year I was lucky enough to be in the Stade de France for the Scotland game and the sound of 80,000 Frenchmen singing The Marseillese was as much a highlight as the game itself. [/b]

how did you get tickets?

Im desperatly trying to get tickets, but since even Gordon Mckie himself cant get any its seems unlikely I'll be going to the game on saturday.

My tickets came direct from the SRU; I got lucky in the debentures holder's ballot.

My tickets came direct from the SRU; I got lucky in the debentures holder's ballot. [/b]

Ah, right.

Never realised there was a debentures Ballot. (did the SRU manage to run that one properly? they f***ed up the Pro team season ticket one!)

Anyway, im happy now - found out last night im going! :D

Latest posts