• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby - The Isolation Years

While all that I'd agree qith some disagree with others @big ginger 8 the main 1 is Sexton. Stick with him and then we deserve to fail in next RWC.
Is he best now? Yes. But not to point he is vital. And is on a decline and well can be poor as well as good. Others may not be as good as him now but can be sufficient with 1 eye on future. Sexton is on decline and similar to ROG at his end if he sticks around too long could be just cut in a way that is undeserving and damaging
Who do you bring in though? Ronan O'Gara played his last game 3.5 years after Sextons first cap, after Paddy Jackson's and a week before Madigans first cap, there were three players there who were better than our current second best option in Ross Byrne.

The provinces starting 10s are Carty, Billy Burns, Sexton and Hanrahan/Healy, there's only one of them that we can beat Wales and have a chance against England with and he'll give us the opportunity to blood Casey who is closer to being ready than Harry Byrne or Healy but a absolutely not ready to be the senior half back in an international team.

I think BG8 is right that Healy and H Byrne need to play for their provinces as much as possible to have them ready to make the jump in 2021. Playing Ross Byrne will work about as well as getting Carty into the squad did, you just can't develop talent if it's not there.

Who do you bring in though? Ronan O'Gara played his last game 3.5 years after Sextons first cap, after Paddy Jackson's and a week before Madigans first cap, there were three players there who were better than our current second best option in Ross Byrne.

The provinces starting 10s are Carty, Billy Burns, Sexton and Hanrahan/Healy, there's only one of them that we can beat Wales and have a chance against England with and he'll give us the opportunity to blood Casey who is closer to being ready than Harry Byrne or Healy but a absolutely not ready to be the senior half back in an international team.

I think BG8 is right that Healy and H Byrne need to play for their provinces as much as possible to have them ready to make the jump in 2021. Playing Ross Byrne will work about as well as getting Carty into the squad did, you just can't develop talent if it's not there.
That is it but should Ross Byrne start all these games as he may be used in future. And Carty on bench for same reason. The point is in my eyes Sexton is on the decline. Yes he is the best but even with him I think if we beat England next year, Wales or even France it will not be because of him. It is possible that we loose the game because of him. And the same could be said about others too yes but if Byrne (Ross) or Carty has seriously another chance in green then they should be left sink or swim.
Casey will not be starting for Ireland next spring unless there is a dramatic swing as lots of factors support Murray.

He's not there right now but if Jimmy O'Brien can get some European gametime at Leinster he's worth having a look at for Ireland. Could be the creative 13 we've been missing.

Tommy O'Brien is another few years away but really classy player.

I won't deny he has potential in the position but he's not there yet. Flaws in your game will be ruthlessly exposed at this level and as a fullback he has too many justify his spot. He does look dangerous there and could be an option in the future but I genuinely think if we try to force it now we'll take that possibility away for good.

Hard to see how Keenan doesn't deserve a shot there.

I won't deny he has potential in the position but he's not there yet. Flaws in your game will be ruthlessly exposed at this level and as a fullback he has too many justify his spot. He does look dangerous there and could be an option in the future but I genuinely think if we try to force it now we'll take that possibility away for good.

Hard to see how Keenan doesn't deserve a shot there.
That is the issue 100%. Stockdale MAY become good at 15 but in an Irish shirt is not where you try learn the position. He needs to master it at Ulster. France are arguably the worst of the top teams at this moment in terms of that would exploit him. And they did so it needs to be learned. Keenan and Shane Daly could be equally as bad there at this level but have earned a chance based off their provincial performances in the 15 jersey.

1604570769100.png

Not super inspiring.

Breakdown by position:

Ireland squad for Autumn Nations Cup:

Loosehead props: Cian Healy, Ed Byrne

Hookers: Rob Herring, Rónan Kelleher, Dave Heffernan

Tighthead props: Andrew Porter, John Ryan, Finlay Bealham

Locks: Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Quinn Roux, Tadhg Beirne, Ultan Dillane

Back rows: CJ Stander, Peter O'Mahony, Josh van der Flier, Caelan Doris, Will Connors

Scrum-halves: Conor Murray, Kieran Marmion, Jamison Gibson-Park

Out-halves: Johnny Sexton (captain), Ross Byrne, Billy Burns

Centres: Bundee Aki, Robbie Henshaw, Chris Farrell, Stuart McCloskey

Back threes: Keith Earls, Andrew Conway, Jacob Stockdale, James Lowe, Shane Daly, Hugo Keenan.

We're going to get the same shite for 12 months until Farrell is given the FRO aren't we.

Billy ******* Burns when two young lads are tearing it up with Munster and Leinster

That is argubally the worst squad I have ever seen.

Genuinely in an effective developmental tournament we are going full strength.

Eric O'Sullivan, Jack O'Donoghue, Craig Casey, Harry Byrne, Ben Healy and James Hume all behind lads who either aren't better than them, won't make the world cup or both.

Those halfbacks are just beggars belief, we are in a bad bad place.

A list of "10s" whose selections would be better and/or make more sense than Billy Burns:

Sexton, Byrne, Byrne Jr, Healy, Carty, Crowley, Frawley and Madigan.

We promoted the wrong English guy to HC, the future is bald.

Eric O'Sullivan, Jack O'Donoghue, Craig Casey, Harry Byrne, Ben Healy and James Hume all behind lads who either aren't better than them, won't make the world cup or both.

Those halfbacks are just beggars belief, we are in a bad bad place.
Add in Sexton as captain. Now is time to start a new era. If you don't cut him fair enough but rebuild.
As you say Eric O'Sullivan has earned a shot in a shallow LH pool. Half backs as noted loads of guys deserve a shot.
In Backrow Jack O D is on fire, as is Hodnett but more so in aa development team they will benefit and offer more thank POM of bench. (Presuming VDF starts) But again it a developmental. Although I'm presuming Henderson in means Tadge Beirne is a backrow option too.

Earls is an electric player but why rush him back. He's had no game in moths so why not allow others develop. Lowe is new but older head so even experience isn't reason enough.

Looking at the squad, it's clear Ireland are weak at hooker. Going on a tangent, James Ryan and Andrew Porter were fast tracked into the Ireland squad despite being nowhere near the Leinster team. Is there something to be said for fast tracking Dan Sheehan in a similar fashion? He has very little experience for Leinster at the moment but clearly is extremely talented and a future international.

Looking at the squad, it's clear Ireland are weak at hooker. Going on a tangent, James Ryan and Andrew Porter were fast tracked into the Ireland squad despite being nowhere near the Leinster team. Is there something to be said for fast tracking Dan Sheehan in a similar fashion? He has very little experience for Leinster at the moment but clearly is extremely talented and a future international.
Thisis where you should be doing it Snoop. Many others should be tested too. Like it crazy times so use it to our advantage. Lads like Harry Byrne and Craig Casey are definitely in future so why not let them sample it. No fans, no seeding and it development tournament

Latest posts