• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby - The Isolation Years

4. Beirne
5. Ryan
19. Roux/Dillanne

If it's a bench spot I'd prefer Dillane. Ideally Daly will step in for Larmour. Hopefully avoid Stockdale or Henshaw there.

4. Beirne
5. Ryan
19. Roux/Dillanne

If it's a bench spot I'd prefer Dillane. Ideally Daly will step in for Larmour. Hopefully avoid Stockdale or Henshaw there.
Roux isn't an impact player off bench. Ryan Baird was probably perfect for the role. I'd be brave and throw Fineen in ahead of both. He has a higher ceiling and well it a free pass as it unusual times.

Biggest issue will be for me the front row. Not too worried about 15 as Larrmour only improved when moving to wing and Daly was much better 15 when we played earlier this year. Hugo has done well there also.

Backrow. On form issue is who goes 8 and 6. For me CJ is by a country mile the best 8 available. And I'd argue the best backrow in the country at the moment. And for that he probably fills the 6 jersey better than Doris who will go 8 if we look at balance. Pete I know is a top player. And gets alot of unfair criticism from our blue neighbours and will be ridiculed no matter what but on form he is well off. 7 I'd start VDF and well bench I'd like to see Connors tested.

Roux isn't an impact player off bench. Ryan Baird was probably perfect for the role. I'd be brave and throw Fineen in ahead of both. He has a higher ceiling and well it a free pass as it unusual times.

Biggest issue will be for me the front row. Not too worried about 15 as Larrmour only improved when moving to wing and Daly was much better 15 when we played earlier this year. Hugo has done well there also.

Backrow. On form issue is who goes 8 and 6. For me CJ is by a country mile the best 8 available. And I'd argue the best backrow in the country at the moment. And for that he probably fills the 6 jersey better than Doris who will go 8 if we look at balance. Pete I know is a top player. And gets alot of unfair criticism from our blue neighbours and will be ridiculed no matter what but on form he is well off. 7 I'd start VDF and well bench I'd like to see Connors tested.
I'd agree. Dillanne is a much better 19 than Roux. Throwing Wycherly in would be a good call. Pity Baird isn't fit as he'd have been perfect.

In the backrow Doris and Stander are the obvious starters but the issue is where. I think Stander is much better at 6 than Doris is. Obviously swapping club positions isn't ideal but it's the best option for me. Doris was never a 6 until a few months ago whearas Stander has spent a lot of his Ireland career there. Vdf starting with Connors on the bench seems best. Connors has been amazing but Josh was one of the best players in the country pre lockdown and his form hasn't dipped since then.

Wycherley is 6'4" not a lot of international second rows running around at that height. I really like him as a player but hard to see him having a future at international level in the row. He's also not currently in the squad proper.

Might be all moot anyway if we go to level 5 the match isn't allowed to go ahead unless they make an exception.

Wycherley is 6'4" not a lot of international second rows running around at that height. I really like him as a player but hard to see him having a future at international level in the row. He's also not currently in the squad proper.

Might be all moot anyway if we go to level 5 the match isn't allowed to go ahead unless they make an exception.
Long term none of options are valid. Yes he's only in training squad but still worth a shot. His height is probably slightly more but still small for international game but he has skills and ability and better than some of other options.
If we go to Level 5 I rhing we will still be exempt and allowed go on but live in bubble

Long term none of options are valid. Yes he's only in training squad but still worth a shot. His height is probably slightly more but still small for international game but he has skills and ability and better than some of other options.
If we go to Level 5 I rhing we will still be exempt and allowed go on but live in bubble
Although all trainees are returning back to provinces.

Larmour out for 16 weeks. Dave Kearney, James Tracy and Harry Byrne have returned to Leinster as expected. Interestingly Lowe is staying with Ireland even though he can't play until November. Casey and Wyycherley are back with Munster.

Larmour out for 16 weeks. Dave Kearney, James Tracy and Harry Byrne have returned to Leinster as expected. Interestingly Lowe is staying with Ireland even though he can't play until November. Casey and Wyycherley are back with Munster.
To be fair we've only got 4 back 3 players in the squad so someone has to train and he's well ahead of the other options. I am a bit worried that 5 centres and 4 back three players in the squad means we're back looking at Henshaw as a fullback. Hopefully Daly gets the nod.

The only real contentious selections are 2 and 9, Aki has pulled ahead at 12 and most people would be happy enough with either option at 7. I hope we pick Kelleher but expect to see Herring despite the fact that his throwing has been pretty poor since the restart. Same situation with Marmion and Murray.

Need to keep Furlong and Henderson, and probably CJ. Beyond that I wouldn't be surprised to see the rest leave given the union's finances.

Any hope of the government saving the IRFU given that the FAI got one and they were entirely responsible for their own mess.

Need to keep Furlong and Henderson, and probably CJ. Beyond that I wouldn't be surprised to see the rest leave given the union's finances.

Any hope of the government saving the IRFU given that the FAI got one and they were entirely responsible for their own mess.
CJ nearly agreed so will be straight forward. Earls already told he not getting cebtral contract on same terms. Expect it to be a Munster deal with IRFU. PoM won't be leaving but will be hard to say if he deserves CC.

Rest will be fine no flight risks either. Sexton will get 1 year deal

What do we reckon for next week's team? Hard to see any changes to the starting team bar the enforced one at 13. Henshaw didn't blow me away today but you'd assume he's the most likely to come in there. Other than that, Kelleher on the bench if he's fit. Assuming Farrell has his preferred team picked he's unlikely to swap much based on today. Still think Josh ahead of POM personally.

Same. In front row there won't be much. Maybe Kelleher to 16 but other than that no.
2nd row rhe same.
The fact POM did fine in cameo and offers lineout ability there will be no change.
Half backs same. Centres. It is wrong callbut Henshaw and Aki will mic. Chris Farrell or Shane Daly to 23.
Same back 3

Team for Wales?

1. Healy (not ideal but only option really)
2. Kelleher
3. Porter
4. Beirne
5. Ryan
6. Doris
7. Van der Flier
8. Stander
9. JGP
10. Byrne
11. Lowe
12. Aki/Henshaw (was Aki injured? If not don't really mind between these two)
13. Someone different
14. Conway I guess
15. Keenan
16. Don't mind
17. Ed Byrne
18. Bealham
19. Dillanne didn't get up to much in either game but the best option unless we're willing to try Wycherly
20. Connors
21. Marmion
22. Carty
23. Might not be any harm having Stockdale here, would prefer if we didn't pick Earls

I'll be very disappointed if we don't see some risks taken, these are some of the least meaningful games we'll play the RWC cycle and change is clearly needed. Got a horrible feeling we'll leave it until the Georgia game to show any proper imagination though.

Would seriously consider Kevin O'Byrne for 16 shirt. Anyone watching him for Munster this season would know he's earned cap. Agree Farrell at 13. Shane Daly to get time. Tell a few like Sexton or POM help privinces as this is a new cycle. Same regards Earls. Wycherley should get time too and Casey. I'd even consider Ben Healy. And depending how he goes tomorrow the likes of O'Connors at 15

Trying to think of players I'd like to see used in the Autumn Nations series. Obviously some of the performances of the last year make people want to blow **** up but I'm certainly not expecting that. I am hoping for some players with the potential to be influential to be re/introduced. Looking at it by position:

Prop: Eh no one really putting their hand up at the moment. Hopefully see Furlong return to fitness. Maybe bring in EOS and see what he's like in the international environment. Hope Milne and Wycherly get more gametime with their provinces.

Hooker: Kelleher, please. Herring is grand Heffernan isn't at the standard required. Kelleher offers something none of the other hookers who are in anyway established do. His athleticism and power would make such a difference to us. Also hope to see Dan Sheehan demanding the Leinster 16 shirt.

Secondrow: Baird even if we have to use him in the backrow. Our secondrow depth is one of the more promising areas at the moment but again Baird has rare qualities. Ahern establishing himself at Munster would be nice.

Backrow: The dream would be to see Leavy come back in but obviously we have no real idea where he is at the moment. Most of the guys who should be in their are now. If POM is leaving he absolutely shouldn't be in the squad. Probably bring in JOD for him. Hodnett is borderline for me but it is probably too early to have him as properly in the senior squad. Would hope him and Coombes get a good run at Munster while McCann plays more at Ulster.

Scrumhalf: Casey obviously. Most people seem to be saying bench appearance against Georgia would hope for a bit more than that but would be satisfied with it as long as he keeps getting starts at Munster.

Outhalf: People want to move on from Sexton but there isn't really anyone demanding that 10 shirt and I don't think it's worth the massive hit to team performance (even with Sexton not at his best) to just drop him. I'd say the Georgia match is the only one he won't start. Ross Byrne just lacks the athleticism to be the answer at this level. Would nearly be tempted to throw Harry Byrne or Ben Healy on the bench for Georgia but probably better for the moment to let them keep getting a run at their clubs.

Centres: We need to try something else at 13 once we don't have Ringrose our current option are too unimaginative. I'd love to see Hume or Moore given a shot in the squad think they could really add something different to our attack. Tom O'Farrell is also probably worth a look but has been in the squad before and obviously deemed not good enough.

Backthree: Obviously get Lowe integrated, get Daly a run at some stage and Keenan more time. Real pity that Baloucoune got injured when he did. Possibly worth looking at Lyttle is an individual threat that a lot of guys aren't. Keep an eye on Nash and Gallagher as well.

While all that I'd agree qith some disagree with others @big ginger 8 the main 1 is Sexton. Stick with him and then we deserve to fail in next RWC.
Is he best now? Yes. But not to point he is vital. And is on a decline and well can be poor as well as good. Others may not be as good as him now but can be sufficient with 1 eye on future. Sexton is on decline and similar to ROG at his end if he sticks around too long could be just cut in a way that is undeserving and damaging

Latest posts