• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Summer Tests

Bloody hell, they're dropping like flies. Feel really sorry for you guys, us Welsh know all too well about such a build-up to a tour.We've been lucky this time round mind. It's been a looong season, and it's not going to stop with the Lions tour up next summer. Players are going to need a rest at some point, so maybe it's not the worst thing that some are out and able to rest and hopefully get a good pre-season under their belts. Does leave Ireland's chances of pulling off a win unlikely this summer though.

Could be a massive loss. Seriously, all of a sudden we'd be in tour from hell territory. On the bright side, it'd give us the chance to see if any of our replacements are in any way up to the task.

We're essentially going to be playing with our second team in New Zealand if this keeps up, its going to be a bad three losses to the AB's I think, and thats not counting all the players who could suffer injuries in the first and second tests. The matches against the All Blacks are always hard and grueling affairs, so im expecting a couple extra.

Paulie is winning his battle to be fit at moment it seems. More a question of is he ready for Test rugby or will he be better served rehabilitating more.

Boss out and well rumours are Marshall will get a chance to go as it's between him and Stringer unless Tomas is picked.

Paulie is winning his battle to be fit at moment it seems. More a question of is he ready for Test rugby or will he be better served rehabilitating more.

Boss out and well rumours are Marshall will get a chance to go as it's between him and Stringer unless Tomas is picked.

Picking either Stinger or O'Leary would be a move backwards in my opinion.

Muffin, what's your opinion on O'Connell touring? Part of me thinks that he's a very long season and that a summer off might serve Irish rugby better than having him out there.

Picking either Stinger or O'Leary would be a move backwards in my opinion.

Muffin, what's your opinion on O'Connell touring? Part of me thinks that he's a very long season and that a summer off might serve Irish rugby better than having him out there.
Yea I'd want him to stay at home because he needs a break and well realistically he is gaining nothing by going on tour. I'd prefer we realised players who are over 30 and in their 12th month of season are managed carefully. Like this tour has recipe to deliver a serious injury or 2

From the text commentary, it looks very much as if Craig Gilroy has raised his hand and asked a question of Deccie.

Now to see if he is actually going to consider bringing on good young players at all...

Yea I'd want him to stay at home because he needs a break and well realistically he is gaining nothing by going on tour. I'd prefer we realised players who are over 30 and in their 12th month of season are managed carefully. Like this tour has recipe to deliver a serious injury or 2

My thoughts exactly. In a sense though, Deccie's hands have been tied on this one by the tour schedule. 3 tests against the All Blacks gives him no room for experimentation (although it's debatable as to whether he would have had it been easier). He's got to pick a full squad or risk embarrassment, so the like of O'Connell who should get a break have to go. Seriously, who thought we'd benefit from three tests against New Zealand and no touring games?

My thoughts exactly. In a sense though, Deccie's hands have been tied on this one by the tour schedule. 3 tests against the All Blacks gives him no room for experimentation (although it's debatable as to whether he would have had it been easier). He's got to pick a full squad or risk embarrassment, so the like of O'Connell who should get a break have to go. Seriously, who thought we'd benefit from three tests against New Zealand and no touring games?
One has to question having a full series after a RWC season. By the end of these tours, it will be very nearly 12 straight months of rugby for some players.

One has to question having a full series after a RWC season. By the end of these tours, it will be very nearly 12 straight months of rugby for some players.

Indeed. In an ideal world we would have had a four match tour with only one test. Give the likes of Toner, Madigan, Marshall, Gilroy etc. a shot while not knackering out the guys who played a full world cup.

I'd rather be embarrassed and let the youngsters play and learn against New Zealand than keep playing the same team and being heroic in defeat for 70 mins.

If these young guns are as good as been made out and really are future what better way to learn than in backyard of world champs. The southern hemisphere teams do it all time so maybe we ought to learn.
Like what do we learn out of sending a dodgy POC or BOD out to get whipped by All Blacks. Nothing. So let them rest and learn in this perfect scenario where you can loose as we all expect a hammering regardless

The Squad is in:

Ireland squad:
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster), Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon /Ulster), Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster), Chris Henry (Ballymena/Ulster), Ronan Loughney (Galwegians/Connacht), Kevin McLaughlin (St.Mary's College/Leinster), Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht), Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster), Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster), Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster), Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster), Mike Sherry (Garryowen/Munster), Dan Tuohy (Ballymena /Ulster), Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht); Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster), Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster), Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster), Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster), Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster), Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster), Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster), Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster), Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster).

22 I would like to see play in 1st test(dependent on injuries):
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Ross/Fitzpatrick
4. Ryan
5. O'Connell/Touhy
6. O'Brien
7. O'Mahony
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Trimble
12. McFadden
13. O'Driscoll
14. Earls
15. Kearney
16. Cronin
17. Loughney
18. Tuohy/O'Callaghan
19. Henry
20. Marshall
21. O'Gara
22. Zebo

Probable 22 in 1st test(dependent on injuries):
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Ross/Fitzpatrick
4. Ryan
5. O'Connell/O'Callaghan
6. O'Brien
7. O'Mahony
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Trimble
12. D'arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Earls
15. Kearney
16. Cronin
17. Loughney
18. O'Callaghan/Tuohy
19. Henry
20. Murray
21. O'Gara
22. McFadden

Then again would be surprised if Kidney went for an O'Connell and O'Callaghan lock partnership!

Here's the positional break down then:

Props: Mike Ross, Declan Fitzpatrick, Cian Healy, Ronan Loughney, Brett Wilkinson
Hooker: Rory Best, Sean Cronin, Mike Sherry
Second Row: Mike McCarthy, Dan Tuohy, Donnacha Ryan, Donncha O'Callaghan
Backrow: Chris Henry, Sean O'Brien, Kevin McLaughlin, Peter O'Mahony, Jamie Heaslip
Scrum Half: Eoin Reddan, Conor Murray, Paul Marshall
Outhalf: Jonathan Sexton, Ronan O'Gara
Centre: Brian O'Driscoll, Darren Cave, Fergus McFadden, Gordon D'arcy
Wing: Simon Zebo, Andrew Trimble, Keith Earls,
Fullback: Rob Kearney

Not particularly happy with this tbh. Might write something about it later.

Still failing to develop any depth what so ever. In key positions such as fly half it is pivotal that we have atleast 3 internationally tried and suited players. A 30 man squad is simply not enough since no player should be playing more than 2 tests. Madigan should have been picked, he has had a great season and deserves the rewards. Gilroy surely should have gone aswell, he has been in great form for 2 seasons now and has far more experience at higher levels than Zebo. I can't possibly see why both of them haven't been selected. Its quite upsetting to see our "depth" at prop but due to a lack of options little more could be done. I'm just glad Archer wasn't selected. Hopefully Fitzpatrick will come good take to the international scene. I also think Toner is worthy a place in the squad, could be very useful at restarts and in the lineout like we saw on Sunday.

Indeed. In an ideal world we would have had a four match tour with only one test. Give the likes of Toner, Madigan, Marshall, Gilroy etc. a shot while not knackering out the guys who played a full world cup.

I'm a big fan of tours, and used to really look forward to touring sides playing against the various New Zealand provinces. It was the highlight of many players careers (the ones that never made it represent New Zealand), and was useful for talent identification/player development, for both the touring team, and New Zealand ... but alas, it doesn't seem to pay the bills does it? :)

While I'm not a big fan of nations not fielding their best team for every match, the reality is that players do need rest, and new players need the game time experience, and there's no other way to get it, other than playing them in test matches, in the current scheduling.

I have no idea why Kidney hasn't announced Young Gilcrest in the squad, surely he is deserving of a spot.
Its time for Kidney to go...

I have no idea why Kidney hasn't announced Young Gilcrest in the squad, surely he is deserving of a spot.
Its time for Kidney to go...
So true, he is so bad, i mean ireland has the best players in the world in alot of the positions- well, arguably- it has got to be his fault that we're so ****!